Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Internship

Options
  • 30-11-2012 12:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on summer Internships with the big 4 ie application process and what they mainly look for in an interview??

I'm a second year accounting student and seriously considering applying for these positions.

If anyone has already completed a summer Internship your feedback would be very much appreciated. ( what role did you have and what part of the experience did you enjoy most?? ) :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 tkelly2012

I did a summer internship with PwC in 2011 - the joint audit/tax programme - six weeks in each, 12 weeks in total. A thoroughly enjoyable experience to say the least. Gives you a great taste for future role in accounting.

Set me up as well in terms of a job. If you get the internship you are almost guaranteed a graduate offer unless you really made a complete mess of it! Very nice way of avoiding the milk round process.

As far as I am aware though it's only for Penultimate year students.

Overall, I'd heavily recommend applying!

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭moleary20

i did an internship with a big 4 firm this past summer - excellent experience! So good that it completely changed my career path from being 99% sure I wanted to be a teacher to now going into an accounting job next year.

Agree with the other poster that its a brilliant stepping stone into a contract and avoiding the milkrounds cannot be underestimated!

Most of the interns where I was were at the same stage as you by the way - going into third year!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 SashaH

Although I didnt do one my best friend did and she was guaranteed an interview with Deloitte. She got the job too in the end.

Its so hard to choose between some cash for summer but trust me when it comes to the milk round you will be an edge ahead of the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

Silly question but do you get paid while doing this? Only reason I ask is because I've have to pay crèche fees for my three year old.

Also I'm doing second year in the accounting technicians course would I have any chance of getting a internship

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lauz94

Hi,
    Sorry for bringing up an old thread!
    Have an interview with Deloitte next week for a summer internship and just wondering what type of format does it take?
    If anybody has any experience of this process that would be great :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 hailo1530

Hi, I had an interview last week with Deloitte for a summer internship. Am yet to here back. Interview lasted about 50 minutes. They go though your CV, your work experience, career goals, why do you want to work for them, they asked t some tricky questions like 'What problems do financial services firms like Deloitte face in the future', 'what business story in the news interests you and why?', what are your weaknesses?', then there were a few competency based questions. Good Luck !:)

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭sob1467

hailo1530 wrote: »
    Hi, I had an interview last week with Deloitte for a summer internship. Am yet to here back. Interview lasted about 50 minutes. They go though your CV, your work experience, career goals, why do you want to work for them, they asked t some tricky questions like 'What problems do financial services firms like Deloitte face in the future', 'what business story in the news interests you and why?', what are your weaknesses?', then there were a few competency based questions. Good Luck !:)

Which area was it in? Audit corporate finance, consulting or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 hailo1530

Hiya, it was for the 12 week internship in the Tax department

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

hailo1530 wrote: »

Hi what kind of competency based questions did you get asked?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Hey seems like a few people here got internships, what do they actually look for? I have good grades, on ersamus, interesting hobbies and good experience but am getting rejections from everyone. Any advice at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Brandy_Boylan

At what stage are you getting rejected at, the application or interview stage?

Each of the Big 4 seem to look for an all-rounded professional.
    Meaning:
    - A 2:1 grade should be what you expect to achieve once you finish your degree.
    - Individuals with a well-balanced life, such as getting involved at college, work, extra-curricular activities, volunteer work etc.
    - A decent knowledge of the company you applied for, such as their lines of services, and the latest trends in business. While this is not a necessity it will help you stand out.

Unfortunately, these days having a college degree does not guarantee a job. In my opinion it allows you to be considered for a position. Then, at the interview it is up to you to sell yourself the best way you can.

Hope the above helps.

Advertisement