Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serious Skin Problems

Options
  • 29-11-2012 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I'm just 16 weeks pregnant and I have chronic psoriasis. It covers 60% of my body.
    Until I got pregnant I treated it with Dovobet Ointment (steroid) They recommend that you don't use it on more than 30% of your body so my condition called for a risky approach in that I had to use more than the recommended approach to see results, and did I?!

Problem is now I'm pregnant I just don't feel safe using it. Most mornings after I used it I would feel drained and just unwell. This was on a normal day. Pregnancy has not helped my psoriasis, in fact its had the opposite effect! Its getting worse.

I read up about Dovobet and it says only use during pregnancy if the risk to the baby outweighs the benefit to the mother. I defo have to use something to kick start my treatment and only one other thing helps...UV Rays

My question is this... Is it better to use Dovobet or a Sunbed? The sunbed I use is twice the normal strength as the usual ones but I only use it for 2 minutes at a time.
    I heard that raising body temperature during pregnancy is dangerous and I don't want to hurt my baby but can 1 minute really do all that much harm?
    What is the risk of 1 minute of the Strong Sunbed vs using the Steroid Ointment?

I realise they both have a risk, but can anyone tell me what is the % of risk from one vs the other?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

OP, you cannot ask for medical advice on boards.ie.

It's against the the rules of the site, so please, please ask the advice of whoever you see for your skin condition and your maternity hospital before you think of taking any action.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement