Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Function over Fashion - coats

Options
  • 29-11-2012 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

I invested in a North Face coat a year or two ago (after we had the big freeze and I realised it was a sensible idea to have a really good outdoor coat). I realise it may not be the most fashionable, and I do wear it to work over my office clothes every day! They don't exactly match but I just can't stand the cold and I find a "fashion" coat out of New Look or Topshop just wouldn't provide me with that warmth nor are they likely to be waterproof.

I can actually feel peoples eyes staring at me when I wear it, they probably think I don't have a clue about fashion when in fact I do. But on these winter mornings and cold nights don't you think function is more important than fashion?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Definitely function in the cold/wet weather, especially if you're just going to and from work! I wouldn't be into them now if I was going out on the town etc, I'd rather wear a more "fashion" coat and bring an umbrella or wear a hat and scarf for warmth.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

Oh yes, now if I was going out or going somewhere that isn't just work and running to the shops then I do wear my dressy coat. It's just that I work in close proximity to lots of other offices and the young ladies around my age all seem to wear little blazers - and they walk around with humps on their back because they are so cold. And then there is me in my bright green North Face!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Depends on the weather. All sense of fashion goes out the window if we get snow! Leggings under jeans, thermals, hiking boots and a ski jacket ;) I know exactly how you feel. During the snow two winters ago, I was in a non uniform school and I got some lovely looks of the well dressed girls. But I could feel my feet by the end of the day and was able to walk home when needed, so I wasn't upset.

I'm so vain now. I managed to find a nice warm yet pretty coat for running around and going into town. But the ski jacket is coming out if I even think it's going to snow :P

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Aoifums wrote: »
    But the ski jacket is coming out if I even think it's going to snow :P

Mine is already out :pac:

My level of giving a hoot about what other people think of how I look is pretty minimal, I'll just be happy if I'm warm and dry tbh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

To be honest, unless it's freezing or lashing out of the heavens, and only if I'm doing something outdoors like walking the dog, will I wear anything other than my "fashion" coat. I HATE the way "functional" coats look on me. Like most women, I carry my weight on my stomach, and I think they make me look like a big red barrel on legs :o.

I walked into work one day last winter when the weather was appalling, so I wore my ski jacket. I ended up going to the pub afterwards and could not have felt more self-conscious, particularly when we were out in smoking areas. So since then I never wear it unless I have to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

OP do not worry a heck about what the other girls are wearing! Definitely in cold weather like we're having at the moment you need a proper warm coat/jacket and not a little blazer where you'll catch your death!

Now, as others have said, for going out I wouldn't wear a jacket like you describe but it would still be warm cos otherwise I'd be miserable!

I wear this on nights out - it's still glam but warm!

186275.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I don't know. The snowy winter was one thing, but in a typical Irish winter where -1 or 2 is about as cold as it's going to get, you can definitely combine function and fashion.

Aside from ski jackets and my "lagging jacket", as I call my puffa coat, I have a couple of winter coats that I'd wear to work/on nights out/to rugby matches. One is a 3/4 length, wool, camel frock coat and it's more than warm enough to stand up to an Irish winter's day. The other is a black sheepskin & suede one, again 3/4 length, and, tbh, it's actually too warm to wear most winters in Ireland, I do be sweltered in it if I have to walk more than 5 minutes while wearing it. Obviously, it's main disadvantage is that it's not waterproof.

There's very few days that I'd consider cold enough for my ski/puffa jacket in a normal Irish winter, tbh.

Edit: Leahyl, that jacket you posted isn't unlike my camel coat. I definitely think you need a coat that covers your bum for winter, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I don't know. The snowy winter was one thing, but in a typical Irish winter where -1 or 2 is about as cold as it's going to get, you can definitely combine function and fashion.

Aside from ski jackets and my "lagging jacket", as I call my puffa coat, I have a couple of winter coats that I'd wear to work/on nights out/to rugby matches. One is a 3/4 length, wool, camel frock coat and it's more than warm enough to stand up to an Irish winter's day. The other is a black sheepskin & suede one, again 3/4 length, and, tbh, it's actually too warm to wear most winters in Ireland, I do be sweltered in it if I have to walk more than 5 minutes while wearing it. Obviously, it's main disadvantage is that it's not waterproof.

There's very few days that I'd consider cold enough for my ski/puffa jacket in a normal Irish winter, tbh.

Edit: Leahyl, that jacket you posted isn't unlike my camel coat. I definitely think you need a coat that covers your bum for winter, though.

Just bought one that does cover my bum!

img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=69996879

Sorry for going OT!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

That's a very nice coat. In general spend the same amount on fashionable coat or jacket as you would on a skiing one and you will be ok. It's a bit unfair to compare something that usually costs at least 200 euros to something for 50 euros in penny's. I have couple of heavy coats that are perfect for the winters here and I wasn't cold when being in colder countries either. Skiing jacket is preferable in heavy snowfall but I don't think two feet of snow falling down over night is very likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

meeeeh wrote: »
    It's a bit unfair to compare something that usually costs at least 200 euros to something for 50 euros in penny's.

This, i personally would rather spend the €200 towards a good looking coat. There are loads of cheap warm beater alternatives without looking like your going hill walking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

My uniform at the moment is wool coat, jumpers and buttons up now, definitely not fashionable - I've seen the girls you talk about walking around in tiny blazers with blue hands, I prioritise my own comfort and sanity in this weather!! Its not like you're wearing the coat into meetings and the like :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I love winter wool coats and I feel underdressed anytime I wear anything else. I wore a neoprene jacket when I went to New York a few weeks ago and I felt so sloppy that I went out and bought myself an Anne Klein single-breasted coat in black wool.

L11258942.jpg

I also have a red wool, belted double-breasted coat and black double-breasted swing coat, both from Tommy Hilfiger. All my coats are knee length.

It's very rarely that I feel so cold that I'd consider investing in a "puff" type coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I wouldn't be caught dead in a northface type jacket. Ireland isn't that cold that a good wool coat and scarf won't do the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Faith wrote: »
    Like most women, I carry my weight on my stomach, and I think they make me look like a big red barrel on legs :o.

Most women? Pear-shape would be the predominant shape from what I can see, not apple.

Advertisement