Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on Billings models

Options
  • 29-11-2012 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭

:o People , I posted on here in the summer about buying a wooden Titanic model.
    That didn't happen but I'm going to treat myself for Xmas. I see Billings ( a Danish company ? ) are bringing out a Titanic model next year. I had looked at the Mantua Titanic which looked good if a little pricey.
    Can anyone tell me if Billings are better quality in general to Mantua and worth waiting for ?

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

ModelDockYard retails these 2 manufacturers, so may be worth asking them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

recipio wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if Billings are better quality in general to Mantua and worth waiting for ?

cheers.

I have seen several of both, and in my personal view, the answer to your comparison question is no. ( Not sure about the waiting for part.)
    But both makes do not serve the same market or type of modeller, or price range.
    A look at part constructed photos, or photos of completed models of both makes should show the differences clearly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

coolwings wrote: »
    I have seen several of both, and in my personal view, the answer to your comparison question is no. ( Not sure about the waiting for part.)
    But both makes do not serve the same market or type of modeller, or price range.
    A look at part constructed photos, or photos of completed models of both makes should show the differences clearly enough.

Thanks coolwings,
    Billings are pretty expensive - does that mean they are of higher quality than Mantua.? Unfortunately I can't locate a finished Billings ( not released yet ) so may just go with the Mantua for the moment. My brother has the' 'Mayflower ' by Mantua but he does not rate the quality of it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Sorry for delay in reply. I just noticed your question today.
    If I have a ranking inside my head, for tall ships it would have Sergal, Corel and Amati all together at the top, and sitting one step above Mantua and Mamoli.
    But Billings is a bit different, and does a different style of ship, more working vessels and so on in the range. I haven't seen a Billings sailing ship to compared with the others mentioned.
    The three Billings ships I have seen were more modern types, and might compare with Model Slipway or Caldercraft and come in below them, and I guess it would similar quality as Deans Marine.
    But this is just my personal opinion, and these are all different prototype vessels, so the choice of vessel almost dictates the maker of your model. You are spoilt for choice with something like Titanic. The most extravagent Titanic is by Krick. Whether it's worth the €€€ is dependent entirely on the modeller's perception.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Thanks for that. Its great to get an opinion based on experience. I'll do some further research.

• Advertisement
Advertisement