Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8 installation

Options
  • 29-11-2012 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm having trouble installing Windows 8 on my laptop. It asks me to turn off BitLocker before I can install, but nothing happens when I press the turn off button on the Windows 8 installer, can anyone help?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Try booting into Windows Vista or 7 which have bitlocker enabled and disable in there. Moving to Windows

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭PJ4

yoyo wrote: »
    Try booting into Windows Vista or 7 which have bitlocker enabled and disable in there. Moving to Windows

Nick

Hi Nick,

I reinstalled Windows 7 Pro last night. Once the install was successful, I tried to install Windows 8. Again, it prompts me with a button to turn off BitLocker during installation, but when I click the button and click the refresh button, nothing happens. I have gone into my services using Start > Run > services.msc and disabled BitLocker and restarted the laptop but nothing changes.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

PJ4 wrote: »
    Hi Nick,

I reinstalled Windows 7 Pro last night. Once the install was successful, I tried to install Windows 8. Again, it prompts me with a button to turn off BitLocker during installation, but when I click the button and click the refresh button, nothing happens. I have gone into my services using Start > Run > services.msc and disabled BitLocker and restarted the laptop but nothing changes.

See here for guidance on turning off Bitlocker. Are you decrypting the drive as well or just turning Bitlocker off temporarily?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭PJ4

Thanks Fysh, the option for BitLocker doesn't appear to be available in Control Panel > System and Security > BitLocker on my home laptop, although I can see this option on my work computer. Is there another way to turn off BitLocker?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

PJ4 wrote: »
    Thanks Fysh, the option for BitLocker doesn't appear to be available in Control Panel > System and Security > BitLocker on my home laptop, although I can see this option on my work computer. Is there another way to turn off BitLocker?

You need to install Windws 7 Professional or above edition to use Bit Locker. It sounds like some partition or files on the drive is encrypted. If you don't mind data loss nuking all partitions and fresh installing may be another option.

Nick

• Advertisement

Isn't BitLocker on Enterprise and Ultimate only? :confused:

Advertisement