Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insert Stoves, do thet really live up to the hype?

Options
  • 29-11-2012 11:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭

I currently have an open fireplace and I am unsure about whether bothering to switch to an insert stove. The initial cost is high but the sales pitch is that I will cut down on current loss of heat up the chimney and have a far warmer house.

Yet a couple of friends of mine, when they come into our house, they rave about the heat in the room from the open fire and say that the stoves gives out nothing like it!

So, before considering the expense of changing, has anyone any views from experience of open fire versus insert stove?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    I currently have an open fireplace and I am unsure about whether bothering to switch to an insert stove. The initial cost is high but the sales pitch is that I will cut down on current loss of heat up the chimney and have a far warmer house.

Yet a couple of friends of mine, when they come into our house, they rave about the heat in the room from the open fire and say that the stoves gives out nothing like it!
    So, before considering the expense of changing, has anyone any views from experience of open fire versus insert stove?

Open fire sents most of the heat up the chimney

Stove sends it out into the room.

Simple as that.

Your friends dont know what they are talking about,so I wouldnt take any notice of what they say.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Last year we put and ESSE insert stove into our firelplace - the best decision ever. Even when it is not lit, it certainly blocks the draught we had - which was terrible.
    When lit, it gives tremendous heat and really looks the job.
    We spent over a grand on it and it was money very well spent.

Oh, your friends really do not have a clue what they are talking about to be quite honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

You may feel more radiant heat directly from an open fire, but the draft sucks all the warm air up the chimney. Stoves burn it slower and retain a lot more of the heat with no draft.

There really is no comparison.

(Speaking as someone who loves open fires and switched to stove 6 months ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I would agree with both posters.Put in a stove about 18 months ago and the difference is staggering.Its produces a huge amount of heat using at least half the amount of fuel that I required with the open fire.I only burn turf in the stove whereas with the open fire I was using turf,wood and coal and couldnt keep it topped up enough.I dont know anyone who would say a openfire will produce more heat than a stove without using huge amounts of fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭woppers

Yes, as a plumber I have installed many of these stoves. I don't have one personally because I live in rented accommodation.

I recently installed on in an old couples house. The guy told me that they used to burn €50-€60 worth of fuel every week. I haven't been talking to him since I put it in but it would be definitely cheaper to run than that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

woppers wrote: »
    Yes, as a plumber I have installed many of these stoves. I don't have one personally because I live in rented accommodation.

I recently installed on in an old couples house. The guy told me that they used to burn €50-€60 worth of fuel every week. I haven't been talking to him since I put it in but it would be definitely cheaper to run than that.

Thanks to all. General view, seems very positive.

Without one I only buy 1 €13 bag of coal a week..€50 seems an extraodinary figure! I have the oil on sparingly on timer also for a boost.

How much would a decent stove costs? prices seem to vary widely on various brands? is it worth splashing out €1,500 or would something for €600 do just as good?

Also, I hear a lot of people discover issues with cracked flues before installation which seems a messy and expensive job to rectify in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

€13 bag of coal
    IS that a 40kg. if so where? (thanks!)

Advertisement