Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Work

Options
  • 29-11-2012 8:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have decided to take the plunge and go back as a mature student also:)
    I was wondering if anyone have some advice for me.
    I really want to do Social Work and have a few options to consider.

1. Go back and repeat LC and hope that I get the points for Trinity
    2. Apply to TCD and UCC as a mature student for the BSW
    3. Go back and do a Social Science degree and then apply for the masters in SW in TCD, UCD,UCC and NUIG.
    4. Keep applying as a mature student to TCD and UCC.

I am in the process of doing no 2.
    If I do not get in( which is v likely) what would ye guys suggest. I am doing volunteer work at the moment

Love to hear from anyone with your opinions or suggestions, would really appreciate it. Maybe if you knew someone in the same boat or considering the same yourself.

Thanks so much for any advice. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 navono

Hey Shinesun,

I am actually just finishing my social science degree and am currently applying to trinity and ucd for masters in social work. I really enjoy the social science course and would recommend doing it. It gives you an insight into a wide range of topics. I did it part time in dbs and kept my job. I also do voluntary work which is really important for application. What kind of voluntary work do you do? They have a list on trinity website of what doesn't constitute as relevant so check it out.
    Can I ask what you have been working at or what life experience you have? It all counts, the trick is making it sound relevant on the application form. If you don't get in do more voluntary work, like vary it and maybe check out the social science degree, might take you a bit longer but its well worth it in my opinion. (Mind you I havent got in yet so I better not speak too soon!)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 navono

PS to be a qualified social worker in Australia you actually have to a social science degree and a social work degree in case u were ever thinking of emigrating to warmer climes

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Whitey2279

shinesun wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have decided to take the plunge and go back as a mature student also:)
    I was wondering if anyone have some advice for me.
    I really want to do Social Work and have a few options to consider.

1. Go back and repeat LC and hope that I get the points for Trinity
    2. Apply to TCD and UCC as a mature student for the BSW
    3. Go back and do a Social Science degree and then apply for the masters in SW in TCD, UCD,UCC and NUIG.
    4. Keep applying as a mature student to TCD and UCC.

I am in the process of doing no 2.
    If I do not get in( which is v likely) what would ye guys suggest. I am doing volunteer work at the moment

Love to hear from anyone with your opinions or suggestions, would really appreciate it. Maybe if you knew someone in the same boat or considering the same yourself.

Thanks so much for any advice. :)

Hi, i am doing the same i applied to trinity and cork, i haven't heard word back from either. :/ how is your application coming on, did you hear anything back yet? i am also going the mature route... :)

Advertisement