Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas FM (2012)

Options
  • 29-11-2012 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭

Christmas FM returned officially to the airwaves today, with a bigger geographical coverage area than previously. It seems like Christmas is approaching once this station starts broadcasting!

I dipped in and out during the day. I heard people who have been presenting on Christmas FM before - Keith Shanley, Andrea Hayes and Chris Murray. There is the usual large mish-mash of different styles and tunes - there is bound to be some songs there that you like.... and I don't do cheesy!

I presume that most of the principals are still running the show - Paul Shepherd, Walter Hegarty, Garv Rigby and Daragh O'Sullivan. There is at least one change in the management structure as Jim Kenny passed away this year.

Did anyone else tune in and what did you think?

What I would be most interested to see from an anorak point of view is a programme schedule. I couldn't fnd any on their website. Is there a schedule anywhere?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

The station makes me want to shove pens into my eardrums. I HATE Christmas songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

The station makes me want to shove pens into my eardrums. I HATE Christmas songs.

Believe it or not, sometimes I would be with you on that! I tune in intermittently for a couple of reasons such as: anorak stuff (what familiar voice will I hear), to try and get myself ready for Christmas mentally (!) and because I do like a few of the songs musically (not all the songs mind you!).

Christmas FM has the luxury of being able to dip into a much wider Christmas songs library, remember. But I would have varying feelings/views about the songs from great to fair to awful and inbetween! The funny thing is the longer you listen the more likely you are hear some gem or at least some variation you had not heard before (after hearing some other tune for the umpteenth time!).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Mech1

The frequency would help, we dont all have scan / search / RDS.

Mech1 wrote: »
    The frequency would help, we dont all have scan / search / RDS.

Details of the frequencies are available on the website
    http://www.christmasfm.com/
    but here they are: Co Wexford 103.8 |
    Cork City, Co Cork 106.7 |
    Dublin Commuter Belt 88.1 |
    Co Limerick 105.5 |
    Dublin City & County 94.3 |
    Co Galway 89.5

So maybe someone can point me towards a schedule???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The Wexford frequency is playing different songs to the Cork frequency. Why would that happen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Probably delayed, due to the distribution method being used.

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Audio quaility is TERRIBLE!!!

Also yesterday around 12 i was tuned in and the presenter was ramblining ON and ON and replying too every text personally a pet hate of mine....

Station imagining is dire also

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭lertsnim

alinton wrote: »

A.

Must be this. There was about a minute in the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭BidillyBo

I heard they were having a poll about whether to play christmas shoes or not. Anyone know the result? No christmas shoes and ill find it hard to listen to

• Registered Users Posts: 20 shabba man

on the every text being read out, I think the text messages cost more than standard rates, I guess its a courtesy to the texters. After all, why spend more on texts if they are not going to be read out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Audio quaility is TERRIBLE!!!

Also yesterday around 12 i was tuned in and the presenter was ramblining ON and ON and replying too every text personally a pet hate of mine....

Station imagining is dire also

What exactly are you expecting? The station is put together on a shoestring, all the presenters work for nothing. The whole thing is for charity so don't expect top notch imaging. As for replying to every text, if you spend 1 euro texting into a station, I would expect a mention for my euro!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

shabba man wrote: »
    After all, why spend more on texts if they are not going to be read out.
    Because some of the text price goes to charity.

I wouldn't care if I texted in and didn't get read out, as long as the correct % of the price of ,my text went to the appropriate charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 shabba man

TheNinthGate, I'm not complaining about the text prices, simply suggesting why they try to read out every text..............After all, it is for charity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

alinton wrote: »

A.

Are they using internet streaming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

I'll probably tune in for about 20 minutes on Christmas Eve or something but I don't see what all the excitement surrounding the re-appearance of Christmas FM on air is all about. The main stations play the main, popular Christmas songs which everyone loves and they have the right balance between playlist stuff and festive songs. On Christmas FM, you must have to sit through some real rubbish in order to hear the greats.

smurfs5 wrote: »
    I'll probably tune in for about 20 minutes on Christmas Eve or something but I don't see what all the excitement surrounding the re-appearance of Christmas FM on air is all about. The main stations play the main, popular Christmas songs which everyone loves and they have the right balance between playlist stuff and festive songs. On Christmas FM, you must have to sit through some real rubbish in order to hear the greats.

On the other hand, if you are fed up of hearing the same dozen of Christmas songs every year on the other stations, Christmas FM is perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

In fairness to Christmas FM they're doing something different to what's on offer generally on the FM band and the good news is that quite a number of shops in Cork city have them on all day, I'd imagine the same goes for a lot of home/car radios. They're def the most popular BCI temp licence station to come on in Cork. People are looking for the "feelgood factor" these days and Christmas FM offers that I think, so well done to all those involved.

Advertisement