Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman, an excuse the slack off in work?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

The falsifing records is non excusable.

The being like a briar is normal for anyone who is tired, over training and overworked.

Imagine what he'd be like if there was a handful of kids thrown in there for good measure :rolleyes:

*his own kids of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

yeah the behaviour was of course unacceptable that's a given

it was an easy article for the paper with the ironman line and he'd done something in a running article in the times (who were first with the story) before so they would have had photos and known him etc...

i'm a member of sligo tri club so we got a mention in the national press :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Maybe an explanation rather than an excuse?

And seeing as the expert witness said she could see the motivation for the falsification of results, maybe it's not as cut-and-dried as the Indo would have us believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

MrCreosote wrote: »

And seeing as the expert witness said she could see the motivation for the falsification of results, maybe it's not as cut-and-dried as the Indo would have us believe.
    But the article is written by a triathlete .

But the article is written by a triathlete .
    I would think medical advise on this board would be better :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Do you think it's ok for a doctor to falsify results or ignore a patient who has had a fall? Doesn't say what type of patient it was for but presumably it was an elderly patient if he was working with patients that were on warfarin, where a fall can be quite serious.

The article in the times makes him just sound like a complete dick, which he probably is. Now he works with children. Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

It more or less highlights how difficult it is to lose a job in the public service. Has he been just moved on to a different field and hospital?

Do you think it's ok for a doctor to falsify results or ignore a patient who has had a fall? Doesn't say what type of patient it was for but presumably it was an elderly patient if he was working with patients that were on warfarin, where a fall can be quite serious.

The article in the times makes him just sound like a complete dick, which he probably is. Now he works with children. Christ.
    Would you not give a human being a 2nd chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

peter kern wrote: »
    Would you not give a human being a 2nd chance

Sometimes there are no second chances in medicine.

The way I read it was that he falsified results in order to get a person into a clinic where he'd get better care
    catweazle wrote: »
    It more or less highlights how difficult it is to lose a job in the public service. Has he been just moved on to a different field and hospital?

He'd already lost the job- this was the medical council. If he'd been struck off he'd never work again as a doctor, anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

ignore a patient who has had a fall?

In absence of further details such as the patient falling and breaking their neck, why would a doctor be concerned with a patient who fell out of bed? Sure the nurse would have put them back in and see that they are ok.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I dont think training for ironman and being an a&e doctor are compatible really. It didnt work out well for this guy, anyway. I know people combine training with their jobs, but there can be a point at which the job begins to suffer and you have to decide which is more important.
    In absence of further details such as the patient falling and breaking their neck, why would a doctor be concerned with a patient who fell out of bed? Sure the nurse would have put them back in and see that they are ok.
    Communication between doctors and nurses is already a problem, so to say 'I dont care' (if thats what he said) shows a massive degree of indifference to his colleagues and is unprofessional at the very least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Oryx wrote: »
    I dont think training for ironman and being an a&e doctor are compatible really. It didnt work out well for this guy, anyway. I know people combine training with their jobs, but there can be a point at which the job begins to suffer and you have to decide which is more important.

Communication between doctors and nurses is already a problem, so to say 'I dont care' (if thats what he said) shows a massive degree of indifference to his colleagues and is unprofessional at the very least.

From my own perspective i have to disagree Oryx, i am more productive/sharper in work and at home whilst in training mode.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

From my own perspective i have to disagree Oryx, i am more productive/sharper in work and at home whilst in training mode.
    And I would agree, up to a point. I pranged my car in week 25 of 30 :p

Yes, time management and productivity increase. But didnt you ever get to the bone tired stage? I know Ive talked to others who definitely did. And this doc seems to have let something get to him. Question is, was it IM or was that just a handy defense excuse to say 'this wont happen again, see?'

Oryx wrote: »
    And I would agree, up to a point. I pranged my car in week 25 of 30 :p

Yes, time management and productivity increase. But didnt you ever get to the bone tired stage? I know Ive talked to others who definitely did. And this doc seems to have let something get to him. Question is, was it IM or was that just a handy defense excuse to say 'this wont happen again, see?'
    Having worked 1 year in a hospital I also heard Dr s say I don't care because they had a hangover.....

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Huff n Puff

Normally, I would agree with this, but not in this particular case. Time spent as a junior doctor is very tough. You are still in the learning phase and the hours can be crazy. It really does need your full dedication. My brother is currently a junior doctor. He likes to train hard but that has all gone out the window since he started working in the hospital.

Once you become fully trained in your job, I am sure it would be easier to find time for training.

I don't like piling on top of someone's misery but it looks like Stewart got his priorities wrong on this occasion. Judging from his subsequent actions I think he would agree with that himself. Hopefully, he can find his way back to the sport later in life.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

The way I read it was that he falsified results in order to get a person into a clinic where he'd get better care

Where does it say that going to the warfarin clinic was the best or even a better option for that patient?

It is common practice for a patient to get a FULL review after a fall. I am assuming that this was an elderly patient given he was also dealing with patient who would require warfarin (2+2=?). An elderly patient having ANY kind of fall can be very serious. They must be reviewed. He simply couldn't have been bothered. I'm picking up from the article that he was on call at the time and didn't want to review the patient as they weren't on his usual worklist and wanted to sleep instead.

I'm sure he's not the only one who does all this but that doesn't make that behaviour acceptable.

edit: I also read the article in the times which had a bit more info

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭delboyfagan

I met Stewart just the once whilst we both had dinner the night before we did Ironman Germany and he came across as a very nice and respectful chap.

Ironman can have an adverse effect on peoples moods and behaviour. He has accepted what he did was wrong and embarrassing, so let him move on with his life and become a better doctor and person.

I find it interesting that all the reports focus on the 10 hours or so ironman training per week, and nothing on the criminal hours he was illegally forced to work by the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

I find it interesting that all the reports focus on the 10 hours or so ironman training per week, and nothing on the criminal hours he was illegally forced to work by the hospital.
    Dont junior doctors work like 80 hr weeks...i remember reading a race report or blog from stewart...after either nice or frankfurt and him saying he had no time to watch tv when training for IM.no wonder. think he went 1010 in Frankfurt...fair play to him if he did that time working those hrs...

• Advertisement

Dont junior doctors work like 80 hr weeks...i remember reading a race report or blog from stewart...after either nice or frankfurt and him saying he had no time to watch tv when training for IM.no wonder. think he went 1010 in Frankfurt...fair play to him if he did that time working those hrs...

We averaged 78 hours/week back when I worked in Ireland. It's worse now because at least we were paid and the hours weren't officially illegal at the time. It was the main reason I took my taxpayer-funded ass overseas.

Advertisement