Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is Computer Engineering in ITB like?

• 28-11-2012 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

I'm considering applying to this next year after I finish a PLC that I'm doing, and from the website description it looks like a really good course. From what it says there's a relatively low points requirement like most places in ITB and no specific requirments from a Level 5 apart a full award and Maths (5N1833) which my current course has.

So I'm just asking anyone who did this course or a similar one what it's like? For example, the Maths difficulty and just general experiences of it? Thanks in advance!

Gary,

Comments

I haven't done this specific course, I've done BN013. Search the forum for info on that computer course, there is loads on it ;)

Also, just remember, just because the points are low, doesn't make it an easy course.

The points for BN002/BN013 are quite low, but I'd say 30-45% dropped out after first year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Excellent course. I finished it in 2010. I think its only 4 years long now, it was 5 when I did it. Very challenging and enjoyable if you put in the work. If you don't put in the work, you won't enjoy it. There will always be subjects you just don't like and there'll be quite fun ones too.

Maths is grand if you keep on top of it. Work your arse off at it and you'll be fine.

Most of your first year is just to settle you down and give you the basics as not everyone is starting with the same set of skills. (I did biology, chemistry, economics and German for the leaving, possibly the least valid subjects for engineering. Chemistry is actually useful in your final year).

Semester 1
    Mathematics 1
    Personal Development with Computer Applications
    Digital Electronics
    Engineering Science
    Circuit Theory
    Workshop Practice 1

Semester 2
    Mathematics 2
    Analogue Electronics
    Programming 1
    Electrical Science
    Introduction to Data Communications & Networks
    Workshop Practice 2

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

kenon wrote: »
    Excellent course. I finished it in 2010. I think its only 4 years long now, it was 5 when I did it. Very challenging and enjoyable if you put in the work. If you don't put in the work, you won't enjoy it. There will always be subjects you just don't like and there'll be quite fun ones too.

Maths is grand if you keep on top of it. Work your arse off at it and you'll be fine.

Most of your first year is just to settle you down and give you the basics as not everyone is starting with the same set of skills. (I did biology, chemistry, economics and German for the leaving, possibly the least valid subjects for engineering. Chemistry is actually useful in your final year).

Semester 1
    Mathematics 1
    Personal Development with Computer Applications
    Digital Electronics
    Engineering Science
    Circuit Theory
    Workshop Practice 1

Semester 2
    Mathematics 2
    Analogue Electronics
    Programming 1
    Electrical Science
    Introduction to Data Communications & Networks
    Workshop Practice 2

I had a look at it and it says 3 years now! So is the course mainly Maths and Physics orientated? Also how was the drop out rate as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

GaryIrv93 wrote: »
    I had a look at it and it says 3 years now! So is the course mainly Maths and Physics orientated? Also how was the drop out rate as a matter of interest?
    3 years would be for the Ordinary Degree, the equivalent of the old Higher Diploma. 4 years for the Higher Degree.

It's electronic and computer engineering. It's programming and soldering irons. The basis is of course, maths and physics.

The dropout rate is quite high. It's a tough course and the low points attract people who aren't really into engineering.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

Advertisement