Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hospital x-ray

Options
  • 28-11-2012 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭

I phoned james st for an x-ray appointment (gp referral),and they said they had a walk in x-ray department. When i got there they had the cheek to tell me that i was not living in their catchment area. I do not think i should have to take a day off work to get a service i am paying for in my taxes. I work near the hospital (james st),and think i am as entitled as the next guy to avail of its services.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

horse7 wrote: »
    I phoned james st for an x-ray appointment (gp referral),and they said they had a walk in x-ray department. When i got there they had the cheek to tell me that i was not living in their catchment area. I do not think i should have to take a day off work to get a service i am paying for in my taxes. I work near the hospital (james st),and think i am as entitled as the next guy to avail of its services.

Are you living in their catchment area? Were you using your medical card for the x-ray?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Discussing the catchment area issues re St James is allowed but asking advice re where to go etc is not. Bear his in mind when replying as off topic posts will be edited/deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

They used to have a big sign on the phlebotomy door that they only did bloods for those in their catchment area too. I noticed last week that the sign was gone but I don't know if that is because of a change in policy or if they just moved the sign inside.

I'm sure SJH will say that they get a budget and that they are penalised if they go over so why should they provide routine services for those outside their catchment area. If we had a money follows the patient model then they would probably be leaning over backwards to get you in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

I'm sure SJH will say that they get a budget and that they are penalised if they go over so why should they provide routine services for those outside their catchment area. If we had a money follows the patient model then they would probably be leaning over backwards to get you in.

That is exactly the problem with how our health service is organised. The OP needs an x ray and will get it somewhere and the cost to the taxpayer will be about the same so what is to be gained by sending them to a different hospital?
    Hospitals have to be paid for the services provided, not given a fixed budget and told to make it last as best they can by limiting services and causing additional costs elsewhere in the system.

Advertisement