Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Few Questions About Access Programs

Options
  • 28-11-2012 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

A bit confused here and the websites don't really offer much help, just hoping some helpful people could share some light on some questions I've got.

Do all university access programs require a certain percentage of the points to qualify for consideration, or is there any that are based more on an interview and the like?

My mother has a degree from TCD, am I still entitled to apply for access programs? Or am I not considered as 'disadvantaged' as to avail of the program? Is there even a need to disclose what sort of educations my parents have? Will they be checked?

I've discovered a massive passion in Medicine, to the point where it's literally on my mind 24/7 and possibly a little too enthusiastic to find out and research about illnesses anyone I know has contracted just for my own benefit to learn; but I made a stupid mistake when choosing the subjects to take for the LC when I chose to do no science subjects.
    IF I was accepted into an access program, could I just sit Chem/Bio for the LC whilst in the program? Also is medicine even accessible through the access programs?

I'm from/live in what's considered a 'disadvantaged area' so that's not a worry.

I apologize if this is the wrong section for this sort of thing, I didn't really know where to post it in Edu.

**(This is just a copy and paste from another section, I haven't received any responses yet and I'm slightly impatient.)**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Maggie 2

Best thing you can do is contact the Access office and ask them! Your parent's education levels aren't taken into account, just their income! If you're still in secondary school, have a word with your careers guidance teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ThatSponDude

Maggie 2 wrote: »
    Best thing you can do is contact the Access office and ask them! Your parent's education levels aren't taken into account, just their income! If you're still in secondary school, have a word with your careers guidance teacher.

Have a few drafted e-mails ready to be sent off in the morning, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Dores

Maggie 2 wrote: »

I was trying to get into a Trinity access course last year and they do ask you what was preventing you from obtaining education. Your parents education will be one of few factors that they will be looking at.

Why was the foundation course set up and who is it for?
    The course was set up in 1997 to tackle educational disadvantage. It offers another way to third-level education for mature students whose social, economic and cultural experiences have prevented them from going to college.

What are the entry requirements?
    You must:

• show why you want to study in Trinity
    • be 23 years of age on 1st January of the year you apply
    • be resident in Ireland
    • come from socio- economic background(s) under-represented in third-level education
    • be eligible for the Government Free Fees Scheme and satisfy the EU applications criteria.
    There are no standard educational requirements such as the Leaving Certificate or an aptitude test.

http://www.tcd.ie/Trinity_Access/prospective/access/mature.php

In UCD they don't ask you for anything than just why would you like to get a place... and few more questions about yourself.

I believe that both courses are very good, the difference is that Trinity one is full time and it is for free and UCD is part time and they charge for it.

Advertisement