Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must Haves

Options
  • 28-11-2012 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭

I've had this swirling around in my mind the past week or so....ladies that have had babies previously, what are some things that you found the most useful to you while in the hospital/first few days at home?

Or certain things that you wish you had with you while in the maternity?

also- and this may be a TMI question, but for after having the baby, what things did you find the most useful? I've been looking at arnica tablets and have purchased tea tree oil, wondering what else I should have handy (like for example, a laxative? :o) ?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Someone to cook food and hold baby fr you:)
    cabbage leaves, anything to make your boobs feel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

hospital food in general is not great, bring in snacks with you, i got my mother and oh to bring me in sandwiches etc,

if your in hospital before you have the baby, ear plugs would be a god send i was in twice before i had my beautiful daughter and i wouldnt of gotten any sleep without them.

i would of been lost without tee tree oil after i had loads of stitches and it used to hurt when peeing, and i found that if you mixed tee tree oil with water in a sports bottle and spray it down below when peeing it is great

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Maglight

Lots of baby grows. You can go through 3 or 4 in a pukey or explosive nappy day. A tumble dryer. When you are down to your last clean baby grow and the rest are drying on the line, it's stressful

If you are having a winter baby, a few little baby cardigans are very handy. You'll buy and get presents of cute little baby outfits, but trust me, for the first weeks, it's baby grows and cardigans all the way.

+1 on the ear plugs for hospital. An eye mask is good too. There is always a light on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Definitely get someone to bring in drinks, snacks and sandwiches for night time. Especially if you're breastfeeding but even if you're not you'll most likely be awake throughout the night and you'll be very hungry. In the Coombe you got a small supper around 5.30 and nothing (except tea and a biccie) until 7.30-8 the next morning.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

If you're in for an extended stay ( I was at 38 weeks, 3 days for obs and then 5 days being induced/having baby) an idea would be to get a small picnic bag brought into you with some snacks and drinks (will keep the drinks cold too)
    Menu in the hospital was:
    7am Breakfast: cornflakes, slice of toast
    12 Lunch: Chicken curry
    5pm Dinner: Chicken Salad with a slice of bread.
    Get an mp3 player or radio for in the ward. Earplugs and a sleep mask. Witch hazel and arnica for afterwards. I also swore by the Tena lady night pads, absolutely huge but really cushiony. Also get a small squirty bottle of water for going to the loo. Laxitive wise you will be given some in the hospital, if they don't offer just ask, we were given duphalac twice a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Something to read in your hosp bag in case you do have an extended stay is invaluable. I'd have been lost without stuff "to do." Being induced is boring!

For afterwards I found a ring cushion brilliant. And ice packs. Really helped with the pain and sitting!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Am I the only one that thought I was fed amazingly well in hospital? there were scones and brown bread and dinner and lunch delivered to me,all pretty good:)
    I forgot about the something to read,I was a bit bored and tired and mindless magazines were great.
    Do not forget a phone charger too!

Oh god hospital food sucks. I don't have milk so had toast for bfast, mid morning about 1030 biscuits, 12 the crappiest dinner and supper at 4 which to be fair was edible and nice: but then more biscuits about 8: I was fit to starve!!

I can't have milk either and it still didn't bother me:)
    Do all hospitals give you menus for lunch and dinner?

Not really, Breakfast and dinner was set, for lunch they usually came round at about 11 and asked if you wanted the meat dish or the veggie alternative that was on that day. That was in the Rotunda.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Make sure you have plenty of those maternity pads. Put two on at a time for the start. I thought 1 pack would be enough. It wasn't. Get two of the big packs.

Get lanolin cream.

Paracetemol. Stock up. I was maxing out on that the first few days at home, and it was awkward to have to keep going out to get them.

Possibly TMI, but make sure you have figured out how to get the shower to point between your legs for afterwards at home. If you end up with a few stitches, you need to keep them as clean as you can. My cousin couldn't disconnect her showerhead from the wall and was cleaning with a cloth. It didn't do the trick and she got a pretty bad infection.

Food was nice in CUMH, but was totally weird times of the day for me, 7:30am brekkie, 12 was lunch and 5 was sandwich. I was ravenous later.

Oh, and most important. If you have a long stint for the stage 2 labour (I was in there 3 days with contractions before the 30 mins of pushing at the end) you will be really exhausted. The hospitals do "rooming in" where baby is next to you in the clear cot. They also have a nursery where a trained nurse looks after the babies so you can get two or three hours sleep, but they don't TELL you this at any point. You have to ask for it if you want it.

Eh no moonbeam! You must've been very lucky in your hospital. I was public in the coombe and you got what you were given. In fairness I was so ravenous that I'd have eaten a floor tile so I ate everything I got.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I can't have milk either and it still didn't bother me:)
    Do all hospitals give you menus for lunch and dinner?
    Yeah in Cavan hospital you get a menu! As hospital food goes, its not too bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

haha yeah I was wondering what hospital this is moonbeam...i might head there to have the baby! ;)

This is all excellent advice ladies! especially what to expect in regards with the stay in the hospital after baby is born...never had a proper overnight stay in hospital before so its a little daunting!

pwurple I never even considered that with the stitches...I will actually figure that out today! The last thing anyone wants down there is an infection...ouch! and would lanolin cream be good even if you aren't planning on BFing?

I will be sure to pick up plenty of trashy magazines to read...nice a distracting :p

For the first time mums to be I'd highly recommend doing perineal massage. I'm not going to explain it as its pretty graphic but look it up on YouTube and you'll get loads of info. It's a horribly uncomfortable thing to do (at least it was for me!) but I had only a couple of stitches and wasn't very sore after the birth and inthink it's because I was 'prepared' because of the massage.

Holles St:)
    There were 3 or 4 choices for dinner and scones during the day.
    I remember after my 1st when they asked would I like a cup of tae I told them my hubby would love one:)
    lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭yellow hen

For the first time mums to be I'd highly recommend doing perineal massage. I'm not going to explain it as its pretty graphic but look it up on YouTube and you'll get loads of info. It's a horribly uncomfortable thing to do (at least it was for me!) but I had only a couple of stitches and wasn't very sore after the birth and inthink it's because I was 'prepared' because of the massage.

When I read ths first i thought it was a class.....it would appear not to be!!!:P

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=DK2P8Ziqc6Y&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DDK2P8Ziqc6Y

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Am I the only one that thought I was fed amazingly well in hospital?

+1.. I have no complaints about the food in the Rotunda.. I was kept in over Christmas and got a slap up Xmas dinner.. Pity I could only pick at as I was in agony from an airlock in my spine from the epidural (they tell you to hold still for a reason ;) do it!!!)

There was always lots of meal options and the food was lovely imho :)

OP to answer your question.. I found we went through scratch mitts like no tomorrow, also lots of bibs and blankets.. I wouldn't
    bother with packing any baby wipes.. I got lots of packs of those Water Wipes and within a few hours of using them his little bum was starting to look all sore :( cotton wool and water all the way..

and for yourself, pack LOADS of maternity pads and disposable pants, you will bleed really heavy for the first few days..

Also, it would be worth your while packing an extra bag on the off chance that you might need a C Section and have to stay in longer than expected.. You never know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Tigerton

yellow hen wrote: »
    When I read ths first i thought it was a class.....it would appear not to be!!!:P

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=DK2P8Ziqc6Y&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DDK2P8Ziqc6Y

I got gel stuff for this in mother care a few weeks ago and haven't gone near it yet...I may have to now. Seems to be important!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

Tigerton wrote: »
    I got gel stuff for this in mother care a few weeks ago and haven't gone near it yet...I may have to now. Seems to be important!!!!

I cannot do this :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Piper101 wrote: »
    I cannot do this :eek:

If it stops the tearing down there, I'll try anything. Might wait until OH isnt there though...he'll think I've officially gone a step to far!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Definetly bring food. I was starving. Food wasnt too bad but its so spread out. I got a choice also nd aftrer the birth they brought tea and toast for me and OH, he ate it all i couldnt touch it. I remember one night i was so hungry i was eating milk tray and choc fingers at 4am. Also water. i know they give you a jug but it was another thing i ran out of and was on the verge of drinking the tap water. i dont know where some of ye got the time to read mags. If i wasnt feeding babs i was trying to feed myself or get some sleep.
    i left extra pjs, maternity pads, baby gro's etc out handy for OH to bring in if needed. I also packed some plastic bags into hospital bag so OH could bring dirty clothes home . I was only in for 3 days and still needed things brought from home for me but had loads for baby.
    Oh and dont tell anyone the day you get out. People told me this but i was so excited i told everyone. I got home at 1pm and first visitors were there already and people were coming and going all day until 9.30 that night when i nearly had to kick the MIL and SIL out. I was so wrecked. Little one was so off form for half the night with all the commotion. Next time i will say nothing, come home and go to bed for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭CeNedra

I was told about fibogel for after babs, best investment ever. I would not go into hospital without it. It is pretty pure stuff so you can take if breastfeeding ... which I did on my previous 2.

Bottles of water with the sports cap. 1 for taking the fibogel (gets mixed with water) and 1 for drinking water out of, easier than a glass if you are holding babs. I was really thirsty all the time.

I found the hospital food grand, edible. I would always have a bag of fruit to fill in the gaps. Breast feeding is hungry work. If anybody asked me if I wanted anything when they visited, I'd say fruit ... grapes and pears especially. Oranges this time of year.

Disposable undies are the way to go.

Pressies for older kids from the baby to say hello. I haven't this one sorted yet but am thinking of getting them pretty chains with their names on them. Must get it sorted this weekend!!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I packed a bag for a standard labour, but it turned into a 5-day stay due to C-section. Luckily I had a laundry basket in the spare room filled with everything I could possible think of - undies, PJ's, extra baby items, sanitary supplies etc so the OH could grab what I needed and bring it in as I needed it.

Best tip ever (thanks to Caprilicious!) have baby's first outfit in a ziploc plastic bag - babygro, vest, hat, mittens, 2 nappies, little tin of vaseline for the bum as meconium poo is like tar, all in. Because I was on the table, it was easy to instruct the OH to get the bag and hand it to the nurse to dress the baby.

Carrier bags for sending laundry home or bringing gifts home.

+1 on the ziplocked items, I went a bit further and ziplocked my toiletries in 1 bag, babies toiletries in another, 2 full baby outfits in their own bags and another with clean knickers, bras and a fresh nightdress for me. Made it easier for Hub when he was rooting through that bags, since I was on the oxy drip and not allowed off the bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Holles St:)
    There were 3 or 4 choices for dinner and scones during the day.
    I remember after my 1st when they asked would I like a cup of tae I told them my hubby would love one:)
    lol

Yep! Holles street stuff ya! it may not be gourmet...but every meal was 3 courses. I was very put out when I had to hand over my jelly and icecream to the eldest lad :(

No menu in Kerry... and I ate a packet of taytos one night at 3 in the morning I was so hungry so next time (:D) I will have plenty of healthy snacks. Their suppers are fab but dinners are yuck.

Suucee I was induced seriously boring (esp when in my case it was over 3days!) so it was a must. Also I know another girl on the ward had her babs up in SCBU and she borrowed all my mags at night... better to have them then not!

Also bring baby wipes for you: handy for wiping hands etc... Also I couldn't get for a shower until almost 12 hours after giving birth (they were short bedded and short staffed and there was a bit of drama on my ward) so they helped me feel a bit fresher untill my husband got in.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭scrgirl

Neyite wrote: »
    I packed a bag for a standard labour, but it turned into a 5-day stay due to C-section. Luckily I had a laundry basket in the spare room filled with everything I could possible think of - undies, PJ's, extra baby items, sanitary supplies etc so the OH could grab what I needed and bring it in as I needed it.

Best tip ever (thanks to Caprilicious!) have baby's first outfit in a ziploc plastic bag - babygro, vest, hat, mittens, 2 nappies, little tin of vaseline for the bum as meconium poo is like tar, all in. Because I was on the table, it was easy to instruct the OH to get the bag and hand it to the nurse to dress the baby.

Carrier bags for sending laundry home or bringing gifts home.

Why two nappies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

This is brillant, thanks so much for everyone who has responded! I'm doing (probably) my last big grocery shop this weekend before baby comes so i'm going to stock up on snacky things like cereal bars and rice cakes and apple and clementines and water! If the last meal is at 5 (which i think it is in limerick) i will be starved by 10pm!

I'm also going to get some trashy mags for sure...something to distract me! I know im going to be in hospital for at least 3 days with the strep b....baby has to be kept in for 48 hours minimum after birth. Ive packed my bags twice but i still cant remember what i've packed...sigh! will have to look through them and see what i have in there :o Will have to put stuff aside for hubs to grab before he heads in to see me and ect.

Cenedra, what exactly is fibrogel? and can i get it at the chemist?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

scrgirl wrote: »

Why two nappies?
    Dunno. Just in case your excited fumbles mess up one? I put 2 in so I'd have a spare.

Advertisement