Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Current salary question?

• 28-11-2012 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

I was ill for years, so stayed in a job that *woefully* underpaid me because a) I was grateful to have anything and b) I was too sick to think about money; all I thought about was getting better and I budgeted well. Now I am fit as a fiddle and have woken up and realised how underpaid I am. So I am on the hunt for new jobs.

I saw a job advertised, but it asked what my current salary is. I would be utterly humiliated to let anyone know my current salary first off. Secondly, if I told them how little I earned they would seriously wonder why I had accepted so little and then that would surely lead to me having to explain my years of ill health. Obviously, mentioning sickness is never a good thing when looking for a new job. Also, I wonder would they offer me crap money, since they'd be comparing it to my current woeful salary.

Finally, I get the feeling that the type of company who asks this question is the type that is trying to pay you as little as possible. Maybe I could be wrong about that.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

It is highly unlikely the people who employ you will know if you spoof about your current salary if you either:

a. give your P45 directly to the payroll person rather than your manager, or
    b. contact revenue and directly arrange your tax credits with them (i.e. bypass the payroll person / HR / your new manager altogether).

Don't undersell yourself... don't let your past salary affect your future... tell a white lie and do (a) or (b) above.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Galbin

It is highly unlikely the people who employ you will know if you spoof about your current salary if you either:

a. give your P45 directly to the payroll person rather than your manager, or
    b. contact revenue and directly arrange your tax credits with them (i.e. bypass the payroll person / HR / your new manager altogether).

Don't undersell yourself... don't let your past salary affect your future... tell a white lie and do (a) or (b) above.

I am clueless about tax credits and such. I am also technically self employed by the company so an accountant does my taxes for me. Would he be able to sort out the tax credit issue for me?

Thanks.

Yes he could do it for you. It is extremely easy, don't worry!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

All you have to do is call them!

All you have to do is call them!

Call whom?

Also, do yis think there is something 'off' about a company asking for your current salary? My boyfriend has a very well paid job and interviews people all the time, and he says that asking for current salary indicates that they are trying to pay you as little as possible. What do yis think? I don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire.

• Advertisement

Galbin wrote: »
    Call whom?
    contact revenue
    Galbin wrote: »
    do yis think there is something 'off' about a company asking for your current salary?

No, it's normal. They could have rephrased it and asked how much money you want. They need to know how much you will cost.

No, it's normal. They could have rephrased it and asked how much money you want. They need to know how much you will cost.

They actually asked both questions. How much do you currently earn and how much do you want? Thing is, the reason I am looking for a new job is because I want a lot more money. Most people who do what I do are on 35-40K, and I am on about 20K. I am really only leaving because of financial issues; I actually love what I do. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 stephanied83

I am a recruiter and asking for currently salary is the norm. It gives the company hiring info on what there competitors are paying, gives them an indication of what level you are at and also lets them know if they can afford you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,147 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The fact that you are currently self-employed make the current payment (it's not salary) irrelevant, because the number you quote will include many things that aren't included in salary.

So I'd just sayd "it's irrelevant because I'm self employed"

I am a recruiter and asking for currently salary is the norm. It gives the company hiring info on what there competitors are paying, gives them an indication of what level you are at and also lets them know if they can afford you.

This is exactly why I don't want to list current salary. My salary is not at all indicative of my experience or strengths. If I had been well, I would have moved up to proper money many years ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement