Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy drinkers live longer........

Options
  • 28-11-2012 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Right well I drank heavy for 7 years and often found comfort in this 'scientific fact'.

But where does this 'fact' come from? What peer reviewed journal? I can't find anything on google, can someone point me in the right direction

Even if this was true how many lost hangover days are there in these extra years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭pitythefool

Its not true

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭libnation

Its not true

It's an urban legend but a heavily quoted one

libnation wrote: »
    It's an urban legend but a heavily quoted one

i know plenty of heavy drinkers who live to very old age, its a risk i suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

Hunther S Thompson lived til 67 until he blew his own head off with a shotgun. He could possibly have lived longer.
    Doctors say he was an incredibly strong human being, for his organs to be able to handle that scale of drink & drug bombardment for all of his life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

For your info ;)

Moderate drinking, which is defined as one to three drinks per day, is associated with the lowest mortality rates in alcohol studies. Moderate alcohol use (especially when the beverage of choice is red wine) is thought to improve heart health, circulation and sociability, which can be important because people who are isolated don't have as many family members and friends who can notice and help treat health problems.It doesn't mean People who go on binges or drink all night every night live longer,It means that people can drink moderately and can/might have a better life.:)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

realies wrote: »
    For your info ;)

Moderate drinking, which is defined as one to three drinks per day, is associated with the lowest mortality rates in alcohol studies. Moderate alcohol use (especially when the beverage of choice is red wine) is thought to improve heart health, circulation and sociability, which can be important because people who are isolated don't have as many family members and friends who can notice and help treat health problems.It doesn't mean People who go on binges or drink all night every night live longer,It means that people can drink moderately and can/might have a better life.:)

What a load of horse ****..........spoken like a true drinker.......................................bet your feeling up your trolley before the budget .......................

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

3 drinks per day?? I'd consider that to be excessive. If I had a friend who was sloshing back 3 drinks a day I'd consider him to have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭bladespin

vard wrote: »
    3 drinks per day?? I'd consider that to be excessive. If I had a friend who was sloshing back 3 drinks a day I'd consider him to have a problem.

3 Drinks, really? :confused: That's only a pint and a half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

What a load of horse ****..........spoken like a true drinker.......................................bet your feeling up your trolley before the budget .......................

Eh, he's a non-drinker, have you read any other threads in this forum ?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

bladespin wrote: »

3 Drinks, really? :confused: That's only a pint and a half.

"every day"

If people were having a pint and a half or equivalent measure of most other substances it would be generally considered unhealthy and problematic.

We have a culture of alcoholism and excess, however, so anyone who questions that or says otherwise is the odd-ball.

• Advertisement

"every day"

If people were having a pint and a half or equivalent measure of most other substances it would be generally considered unhealthy and problematic.

We have a culture of alcoholism and excess, however, so anyone who questions that or says otherwise is the odd-ball.

In all fairness, I wouldn't but then again I wouldn't think someone who drank a pint a day to have a problem.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: of course :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

PS Back in the day no matter how much I drank I never ever felt up a trolley,ever...slainte.

Monday June 25 2012
    THE recommended weekly alcohol limits for both men and women have been cut by Irish experts.
    It is now recommended that men should not drink more than 17 alcohol units over a week. Previously, the limit had been set at 21 units.
    Women should not consume more than 11 units of alcohol over a week. The limit was previously 14.
    A unit of alcohol is a “rough measure of the drink amount that will provide about 10g of alcohol.
    For instance, a half pint of beer, a pub measure of spirits and a small glass of wine,” according to guidelines contained in new document from the Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI).

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=what%20is%20considered%20safe%20drinking%20alchol%20in%20ireland&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CDwQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Falcoholireland.ie%2F2012%2Fhealth-chiefs-cut-limits-on-safe-drinking%2F&ei=E1W6ULWQMoOQhQfEg4GQDw&usg=AFQjCNHlDQ3Krr7lpLbeH2zneiT4AC1BhQ

its all relative one would presume, 3 drinks is nothing but a social experience to most people and nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

But the catch is, just because your perception of 3 drinks as being nothing doesn't mean your body and mind suffer any less than any other physical body for having consumed those 3 drinks.

For example, if I could drink 5 pints and only be starting to feel giddy - that doesn't mean it's any less harmful to me than 5 pints for someone who never drank at all before those 5.

Know what I mean?

hubba wrote: »
    But the catch is, just because your perception of 3 drinks as being nothing doesn't mean your body and mind suffer any less than any other physical body for having consumed those 3 drinks.

For example, if I could drink 5 pints and only be starting to feel giddy - that doesn't mean it's any less harmful to me than 5 pints for someone who never drank at all before those 5.

Know what I mean?

I do, what i meant was 3 pints is social to some and a problem to others

I do, what i meant was 3 pints is social to some and a problem to others

As far as I know, If you drink more than 17/14 units a week you are doing your body damage whether its an addiction problem for you or not.

A unit of alcohol is a “rough measure of the drink amount that will provide about 10g of alcohol.
    For instance, a half pint of beer, a pub measure of spirits and a small glass of wine,”

As far as I know, If you drink more than 17/14 units a week you are doing your body damage whether its an addiction problem for you or not.

For instance, a half pint of beer, a pub measure of spirits and a small glass of wine,”

I don't buy that, sounds very similar to BMI a rough guide at best.

...,”

That's exactly what I mean, Realies. Or more than 3 units a day (not 3 pints which is 6 units) which constitutes binge drinking.

That's exactly what I mean, Realies. Or more than 3 units a day (not 3 pints which is 6 units) which constitutes binge drinking.

Isn't binge drinking irregular consumption of high quantities of alcohol?

• Advertisement

Binge drinking just means over a certain amount consumed, namely the daily recommended limit. Anything over that is considered a binge. So even if it's daily, it's bingeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Dammer

Not sure if its been mentioned before in this thread... But alcohol helps lower LDL (bad) cholesterol and Red wine can help increase HDL (good) cholesterol.

This in turn lowers risk of heart disease.

But everything in moderation...

Binge drinking just means over a certain amount consumed, namely the daily recommended limit. Anything over that is considered a binge. So even if it's daily, it's bingeing.

Incorrectly named then :confused:

Advertisement