Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employers/Facebook

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Sounds like a load bullsh1t to me.

Can't imagine any employer asking that, let alone an employee actually giving them that information.

If your employer asked you for a copy of your house key to see what you had in your wardrobe would you give it to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Sounds like a load bullsh1t to me.

Can't imagine any employer asking that, let alone an employee actually giving them that information.

If your employer asked you for a copy of your house key to see what you had in your wardrobe would you give it to them?

Has become very common for employers to ask that question in the US and UK for a number of years now, and it has come into the Irish job market in a fairly noticeable manner this year, no doubt to become an even more common thing as time goes by.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I have heard of it in the news, but nothing first, or even second hand. I've interviewed people for my company, and wouldn't dream of doing it.

I doubt it would be any of the multinationals, anyone heard about a particular company doing this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

Facebook have loosen their privacy again, joys, so anything that you comment/like on in one of your friends profiles will show up in another one of your friends newsfeeds (even if the two of them aren't friends and the first friend have their privacy settings locked down) off to Google+ with me (haha as if!). So if you are worried about your privacy then don't post on facebook to begin with.

Until someone says that this happened to them personally I am going to put it down to an urban myth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Until someone says that this happened to them personally I am going to put it down to an urban myth.

Yeah, same here. I'm pretty sceptical any employer would do that.

It's certainly possible that employers would check up on potential employees facebook timelines/walls though. People post some insanely personal stuff on facebook, without making it private.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

I can see them doing that Roast, but not asking for login, aren't we all constantly being warned not to give anyone our passwords?!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭MrTsSnickers

I can see them doing that Roast, but not asking for login, aren't we all constantly being warned not to give anyone our passwords?!

Think that it's against Facebook's terms and conditions to give your username and password. I think I heard that somewhere.

I can see them doing that Roast, but not asking for login,

That's what I mean, viewing peoples public posts.

Slightly off the original topic, but here's a related example anyway.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57548077-71/racist-anti-obama-facebook-post-gets-woman-fired/

She claims that her facebook page was set to private. I highly doubt that was the case.
    Even if it was set to private, a little common sense when posting political opinions would be advisable, especially if work colleagues or employers are your "friends".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Next time I'm conducting an interview I might ask the candidate for their facebook details. If they give them to me, I'll inform them they have not been successful in the interview because they are obviously an idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 stephanied83

It would be a bit stupid of an employer to do this imo, they could potentially discover information that could leave them open to discrimination cases... family status, marital status, sexual orientation etc.

I say give them your details then take a case when you don't get the job. Can't see them being able to rebut an accusation when they have practices like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

It would be a bit stupid of an employer to do this imo, they could potentially discover information that could leave them open to discrimination cases... family status, marital status, sexual orientation etc.

I say give them your details then take a case when you don't get the job. Can't see them being able to rebut an accusation when they have practices like that!

lol, just no. if you give them your details, you consented. instead, dont give them, and take a case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 stephanied83

zuroph wrote: »
    lol, just no. if you give them your details, you consented. instead, dont give them, and take a case

Nope not at all, that's not how the employment equality legislation works. You may be consenting to them having your information but it would still be in breach of legislation for them to use this in their selection criteria. That's a whole other thread though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

I asked initially to know if this really had happened to someone in Limerick. However there is another aspect to it.

The case involving the UK student who faced extradition charges to the US, Richard O`Dwyer; who set up a search engine for users to be directed to sites containing illegally downloaded material was another aspect to my question.

It appears that an argument is being made where; all websites with the suffix: .com, .info, .org and .net for example, as opposed to .ie, .co.uk, etc are subject to US law.

This has yet to be tested in the courts, however it seems a compromise has been reached in O`Dwyer`s case, just 5 hours ago (after my original post):
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-20525891

I would really like to know if anyone has been affected by anything they post on a US based website.
    I do know of a person who was refused a full-time position due to material they posted on a social networking site almost four years previous to the job interview.

This is an entirely new era for all of us and it would be wise to protect yourself as much as possible. It would be prudent to remember that when you "post" something online that you are subject to the Defamation Act 2009 within Ireland, but may also be subject to US law if using a site that originates within the US. A bit of a headwreck I know, however here is a good synopsis:
    www.williamfry.ie/publication-article/social_media_-_applicable_libel_and_privacy_laws_in_ireland.aspx

So if anyone of you has been asked for details of access to your social media accounts, please PM me.

Thanks

Brian

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I asked initially to know if this really had happened to someone in Limerick.

So if anyone of you has been asked for details of access to your social media accounts, please PM me.

Seeing as this isn't a Limerick issue, I think we can leave it at that. Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement