Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetsuit - Where in Dublin - What to look for

Options
  • 28-11-2012 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭

Hi ,

Im going wetsuit shopping to identify one for Santa to buy me.

where should I shop in Dublin and what should I look for in a wetsuit.

Is there a massive difference in a 200eur suit and a 400eur suit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

dario28 wrote: »
    Hi ,

Im going wetsuit shopping to identify one for Santa to buy me.

where should I shop in Dublin and what should I look for in a wetsuit.

Is there a massive difference in a 200eur suit and a 400eur suit.

Base2Race

I've been in other shops and seen people be fitted into suits that obviously did not fit but the shop had nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

tunney wrote: »
    Base2Race

I've been in other shops and seen people be fitted into suits that obviously did not fit but the shop had nothing else.

+1 i can highly recommend them as i bought my TYR cat3 in there. They will also let you try it out in their endless pool if it's not in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

sorry to hijack a little

much of a step up from cat 1 to cat 3 does anyone know ? and is it worth moving from an orca s4 ?
    http://www.irishfit.eu/shop/swimming/mens-wetsuits/2011-mens-orca-s3-wetsuit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

miller82 wrote: »
    sorry to hijack a little

much of a step up from cat 1 to cat 3 does anyone know ? and is it worth moving from an orca s4 ?
    http://www.irishfit.eu/shop/swimming/mens-wetsuits/2011-mens-orca-s3-wetsuit

I have the cat3 after trying on the cat1. It's a little bit more agile, easier to swim in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

I have the cat3 after trying on the cat1. It's a little bit more agile, easier to swim in.

So is the buoyancy the same for the range but the better suit like cat5 will be more flexible

im looking at either the cat3 or orca3.8 or orca mens alpha

any opinions on them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,778 ✭✭✭griffin100

Not sure about the TYR suits but I went from an orca equip (close to entry level suit) to an orca alpha. The alpha is much thinner, more flexible, softer, has ridged panels on the forearms but is much less buoyant. Given its very thin material it's also prone to damage from fingernails and such, but I have been told that is a trait of all orca suits and certainly my old suit was full of nicks and cuts as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

griffin100 wrote: »
    Not sure about the TYR suits but I went from an orca equip (close to entry level suit) to an orca alpha. The alpha is much thinner, more flexible, softer, has ridged panels on the forearms but is much less buoyant. Given its very thin material it's also prone to damage from fingernails and such, but I have been told that is a trait of all orca suits and certainly my old suit was full of nicks and cuts as well.

The Orca 3.8 is more buoyant that the Alpha. Both are superb flexible suits with high grade 40 cell neoprene.

Last years equip was attroctious for half moons as the suit was pretty poor quality all round, but generally damage is down to how the suits is treated by the user.

Same applies to TYR Cat 1 won't be as flexible as the Cat 3 or Cat 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

all i really care about is the shoulders burning out. my current suit (orca s4) seems to pull on the arms a bit and the shoulders get worn out. So the flexibility is the difference in price as aposed to anything else ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭PGF

griffin100 wrote: »
    Given its very thin material it's also prone to damage from fingernails and such, but I have been told that is a trait of all orca suits and certainly my old suit was full of nicks and cuts as well.

Friends of mine with Orcas would agree with this. Happy with my Blue Seventy... or at least I was until it was stolen.

miller82 wrote: »
    all i really care about is the shoulders burning out. my current suit (orca s4) seems to pull on the arms a bit and the shoulders get worn out. So the flexibility is the difference in price as aposed to anything else ?

Quality of the neoprene, the number of panels, the balance across the suits in terms of thickness.

The S4 is made up of 7 or 8 neoprene panels all 39cell (I think) where the Sonar, 3.8 , Alpha and (new in 2013) Predator all feature increasing numbers of panels = better fit, thinner neoprene in the shoulders = freer movement, better neoprene 40 cell.

The main price difference is in the quality of the neoprene, the tech side of the suits and the extra cost of the body roll panels, increasing the manufacturing costs overall.

• Advertisement

PGF wrote: »
    Friends of mine with Orcas would agree with this. Happy with my Blue Seventy... or at least I was until it was stolen.

I've one finger nail mark in my 5 year old Orca. I've seen suits hacked to bits by careless users. Rental suits are generally the most cut up though.

Advertisement