Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life Line Screening reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Bloods/ultrasound/ECG basically. Is there any indication of cost?

Didn't realise that ultraosund could be used to screen for osteoporosis, and apparently it's widely used in Japan. The english language literature doesn't seem to have a lot on it, here's one meta-analysis from a few years ago, jury still out there. Doesn't quite make the grade when compared to DXA according to this paper. Not sure why it's used in Japan (apart from relative cost, portability, lack of radiation), perhaps there's more convincing stuff in their literature?

To answer your question, first time I came across them was an ad on TV the other evening, haven't heard of anyone who's used their service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Why not just go to your GP for a check up?
    If any test are ACTUALLY NEEDED, then your GP can do/organise/refer you for them, instead of an expensive scattergun approach?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

There was a Danish review paper published recently which suggested that all these screening tests have little if any impact on health outcomes.
    I'd look for something more tangible to spend your money on tbh.

(Ps is it was me I'd buy something for my bike, it'd be more likely to have a positive effect on my health :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

This sort of screening targets the 'worried well' who won't believe their own doctors when they tell them they aren't at high risk.
    These companies will tell you that you need all these tests, when most people don't, and you will get so ill worrying about the results that they are proved right!

Advertisement