Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy a small amount of white oak

Options
  • 28-11-2012 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭

Hi there - this is home brew related but I guess you folks would be the experts to ask.
    I'm looking to buy a small amount of white Oak (American or French) to use in my wine making. It can transform a wine during fermentation and aging and basically gives the flavours and aromas that you would get if you aged the wine in an oak barrel. You can buy sachets of granulars and chips online but I want to cut the costs.

And it can't be treated in any way whatsoever.

Thanks for any tips!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

All the chain stores - Chadwicks, Brooks and JP Corry will carry white American oak.I'd pick the nearest if you need delivery to keep costs down.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

Thanks recipio, didn't know it was so easily got. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Hi Redser, Abbeywoods in Baldoyle is prob your best/closet bet.You may even get an offcut for free if its just a titsy bit you need..

http://www.abbeywoods.ie/location.htm

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

If your out near me I can give you a bit for a bottle of whatever it is that your brewing :D

Thanks for the tip aerosol. Just round the corner from the ma :) You have to get those demijohns and get started! Give me shout when you're around and I'll drop you a bottle of something.
    Fergal, that sounds like a good deal, I like a bit of barter. Got some stuff on the go but they're a bit young. I'll give you a shout if that's ok. How does blackberry and nettle sound? (Tastes much better than it sounds :) ). I'm in Donabate so handy enough, thanks man. Dust or shavings might also do the job.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I hope it was a good year for nettles :D Just let me know when you want it and I will plane some shavings.

Top man, will do. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Make sure you completely torch the wood beforehand. It's that which imparts the characteristics you're after.

Thanks lgk

Advertisement