Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for some starter e-cigarettes + info

Options
  • 28-11-2012 6:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi,

So I'm looking to get my parents these things for christmas as they have expressed an interest in quitting but seem to lack the self control or discipline to do so :D. (I'm not a smoker as you have probably guessed by that last sentence)

I'll give you some info on habits and brand they smoke in the hopes that it will help with any advice on what to get them. They both typically smoke 20ish a day (at least that's what they say, may be more idk) and their brand is silk cut ultra.

My mom has given up before for 6 months but started again and I think she does it more out of habit (+ addiction I guess) than anything.

My dad, on the other hand, seems to enjoy smoking and he has developed a nasty smokers cough over the 20+ years. He was the one who mentioned these things to me so I guess he would like to quit too.

Basically, I'm looking for the best option on what to get them. Also, are these things actually likely to work? By that I mean will they quit smoking and move to just vaping? The last thing I want to happen is for them to continue smoking and then start using the e-cigarette thing whenever smoking is inconvenient / not allowed.

I've read a few of the threads but all this talk of voltages and flavors is beyond me as I have no experience with any of this stuff.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

In your situation rather than buy them a kit it may be better to take them to a shop so they can get their hands on the devices and try them out first.

I am not sure how open your parents are to change and how much effort they put in to maintain the ecigs but I would go with something like the ovale elips:

http://www.ovaleireland.com/products.php?view=productPage&product=18&category=

Its a classy device that works very well for its size, marry it up with some 12 or 16mg juice and they should be happy. Ovale has a shop in Dublin so they could try before they buy and sample some juices. It is expensive compared to the others but maybe one kit would do while they try.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭alph

Thanks for the reply.

One of the things I'm a bit concerned about, as you mentioned, is how much effort they'll put into it. From what Ive read it seems as though there is a lot of replacing parts involved with them and I'd imagine my mother in particular would get rather fed up with that fairly quickly.

Does the product you linked come with any of the liquid things? How much do they typically cost per month given that they smoke 20ish a day?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 22 VapeTime

You can find reasonably priced carts or ejuice, depending on which device you/they choose to go with, that come in a variety of nicotine strengths. So they could move completely to vaping, rather than smoking, with a higher nicotine level and then work their way down, using lower strengths down to the 0mg nicotine juices. Which some use when they're habitual smokers (since you mentioned you think she may just smoke out of habit etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

For your mother I'd recommend this kit: http://www.e-smokeireland.eu/product-p/aio.htm

It's designed for less heavy use but will still satisfy the habit

For your father I'd recommend the trusty Kanger Twist kit:http://www.e-smokeireland.eu/product-p/kangtwist.htm

This is an excellent kit and comes with liquid

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

Regarding on-going costs - each month you will need to buy a couple of replacement cartomisers (top part) and liquids. I'm a heavy vaper and can get by on €30 a month.

The parts you'd need to replace each month are:

Mother: http://www.e-smokeireland.eu/product-p/kr-510.htm
    Father: http://www.e-smokeireland.eu/product-p/kangt2.htm (can just get replacement heads for these)

You see a lot of posts here about replacement parts and new bits and pieces but for a lot of us it has become a hobby and we enjoy experimenting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Get the replacement bits along with the kit so they have them when they need them.

Nicotine strengthwise, they can use the low strength juices, (9 to 12mg), I came off silk cut purple and these are working well for me.

As far as them actually taking to it, well, that's down to them, all you can do is put the kits in front of them and encourage them to give it a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

one word of advice, if you do get them the kit don't push them into it. nothing worse than someone constantly pushing you to do something. some here went straight to vaping and haven't looked back but others took a few days to a few weeks to transition over from smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dean_Mc

one word of advice, if you do get them the kit don't push them into it. nothing worse than someone constantly pushing you to do something. some here went straight to vaping and haven't looked back but others took a few days to a few weeks to transition over from smoking.

Do not underestimate this advice, some people are just wary and smoking is a very emotional addiction, you need to just let them find their own balance, some smoke and vape, some just dislike vaping, some only vape occasionally, some chain vape, everyone is different and it's best to let them find their own feet in terms of usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Agreed, encouragement is not the same as nagging!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

krissovo wrote: »
    In your situation rather than buy them a kit it may be better to take them to a shop so they can get their hands on the devices and try them out first.

I am not sure how open your parents are to change and how much effort they put in to maintain the ecigs but I would go with something like the ovale elips:

http://www.ovaleireland.com/products.php?view=productPage&product=18&category=

Its a classy device that works very well for its size, marry it up with some 12 or 16mg juice and they should be happy. Ovale has a shop in Dublin so they could try before they buy and sample some juices. It is expensive compared to the others but maybe one kit would do while they try.

A couple I know dropped into the shop over the weekend and are now three days off the smokes. It's €90 for the kit from the shop, and they're sharing it between them (two devices in the kit). They think it's fantastic. It's a simple kit and looks perfect for beginners. I like the look of it myself, and suggested they go in and try so I'm pleased it's working out so well.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 298 ✭✭Tony Soprano.

sept09baby wrote: »

The parts you'd need to replace each month are:

Father: http://www.e-smokeireland.eu/product-p/kangt2.htm (can just get replacement heads for these).

I ordered a few of these heads for my Kanger T2 @ €2 a piece. I din't know I need the whole Clearomizer?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

I ordered a few of these heads for my Kanger T2 @ €2 a piece. I din't know I need the whole Clearomizer?

you dont, just need to buy the head. as long as the tank part and mouthpiece are in working order then the heads is all you need.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 298 ✭✭Tony Soprano.

you dont, just need to buy the head. as long as the tank part and mouthpiece are in working order then the heads is all you need.

That's great, cheers. Bought 10 of them to get my order over the free shipping amount. This should keep me going a while.

I'm delighted with my Kanger T2. €2 for heads and a bit of cleaning in between - they're inexpensive and easy to keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

Rather than spending a lot on products that you aren't sure they will use, why not just get them a single electronic cig for a stocking filler.

I am a 15-20 a day smoker for over 30 years (Silk Cut Purple). I had been thinking of quitting for some time and decided to give it a try recently when I came to the end of a pack!! I bought a Jasper & Jasper rechargeable cigarette from a local convenience shop for €20. Had a couple of puffs off it through the first week and managed to lose it while out drinking that weekend. I then bought a non rechargeable one for €6.99. I really only use it when I have a drink and do not seem to be craving at other times.

Ultimately your parents will have to choose if they want to quit or not, so this way you won't put out financially if they fail. Maybe my head was in the right place this time but I am finding it remarkably easy. Off them 3 and a half weeks today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Rather than spending a lot on products that you aren't sure they will use, why not just get them a single electronic cig for a stocking filler.

I am a 15-20 a day smoker for over 30 years (Silk Cut Purple). I had been thinking of quitting for some time and decided to give it a try recently when I came to the end of a pack!! I bought a Jasper & Jasper rechargeable cigarette from a local convenience shop for €20. Had a couple of puffs off it through the first week and managed to lose it while out drinking that weekend. I then bought a non rechargeable one for €6.99. I really only use it when I have a drink and do not seem to be craving at other times.

Ultimately your parents will have to choose if they want to quit or not, so this way you won't put out financially if they fail. Maybe my head was in the right place this time but I am finding it remarkably easy. Off them 3 and a half weeks today.

A 6.99 disposable is a really really bad Idea IMHO - its 100% hit or miss weather it will last an hour, a day or maybe two - I know as a 20 a day smoker I would go through 2 ego batteries a day, and almost 3ml of juice - way more than any disposable.

Also I'd be saying (as well as many people here) stay away from the cigarette shaped ecigs, #1 its a psycological effect and a change of pattern. Also batteries of non-ciggie shape ones will last longer.

Nothing will turn a Smoker back to the fags quicker than an excuse:

1. "The battery runs out too fast"
    2. "I ran out of juice: I must remember get some more"
    3. "It doesnt work anymore" (atomizer burned out).
    4. "It tastes Burned" (bad/burned cart or clearo)

Seeing as its both of them ..

1x Biansi Starter Kit (2 batts 2 attys 5 refillable carts).
    2x Spare Ego Batteries - so no excuse
    1x Extra Charger.

Few bottles of various Juices.

http://www.e-smokeireland.eu/product-p/biansi.htm
    http://www.e-smokeireland.eu/product-p/egot-batt.htm
    http://www.e-smokeireland.eu/product-p/mainsplug.htm
    http://www.e-smokeireland.eu/product-p/usbcharger.htm

The Kanger style clearo's are great, but the can/do leak and get broken easily IMHO another excuse ;)

See if you can pick them up a lanyard as well so that its always with them.

You might also consider getting a few LR atomizers to try out my. Father in Law just couldn't get his head around refilling (wondering why his ego-t tasted burned and got a cough!) , so got him dripping instead and it makes more sense to him how it works.

was.deevey wrote: »
    A 6.99 disposable is a really really bad Idea IMHO - its 100% hit or miss weather it will last an hour, a day or maybe two - I know as a 20 a day smoker I would go through 2 ego batteries a day, and almost 3ml of juice - way more than any disposable.

Also I'd be saying (as well as many people here) stay away from the cigarette shaped ecigs, #1 its a psycological effect and a change of pattern. Also batteries of non-ciggie shape ones will last longer.

Nothing will turn a Smoker back to the fags quicker than an excuse:

1. "The battery runs out too fast"
    2. "I ran out of juice: I must remember get some more"
    3. "It doesnt work anymore" (atomizer burned out).
    4. "It tastes Burned" (bad/burned cart or clearo)

Seeing as its both of them ..

1x Biansi Starter Kit (2 batts 2 attys 5 refillable carts).
    2x Spare Ego Batteries - so no excuse
    1x Extra Charger.

Few bottles of various Juices.

http://www.e-smokeireland.eu/product-p/biansi.htm
    http://www.e-smokeireland.eu/product-p/egot-batt.htm
    http://www.e-smokeireland.eu/product-p/mainsplug.htm
    http://www.e-smokeireland.eu/product-p/usbcharger.htm

The Kanger style clearo's are great, but the can/do leak and get broken easily IMHO another excuse ;)

See if you can pick them up a lanyard as well so that its always with them.

You might also consider getting a few LR atomizers to try out my. Father in Law just couldn't get his head around refilling (wondering why his ego-t tasted burned and got a cough!) , so got him dripping instead and it makes more sense to him how it works.

Just so I understand this correctly, In that Blansi starter kit there is 2 things they can use ? They tend to both smoke at the same time usually so sharing one isn't an option and probably isn't hygenic (do smokers even care about this?)

It's like you said though, I don't want to give them excuses not to use it.

Would I also need to buy some of the liquid stuff too? I have no idea how long the 5 1.1ml tank cartridges would last. Is each one the equivalent to a normal cigarette?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Just to note that BargainVapour do the Imist for a tenner cheaper. And yes, it does come with two complete units, one charger and five cartridges.

http://www.bargainvapour.com/Biansi_Imist/cat1274300_1381746.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

In that Blansi starter kit there is 2 things they can use ? They tend to both smoke at the same time usually so sharing one isn't an option and probably isn't hygenic (do smokers even care about this?)

There is two completely separate units in the box, however on the hygiene front, the atomizer top piece (cone) screws off separate to the battery and the only part that goes to the mouth is the Tank Cartridge, so no harm done so long as you aren't sucking on someone else tank - sharing batteries is no big deal, however I still recommend getting 2 extra batteries anyhow.
    Would I also need to buy some of the liquid stuff too? I have no idea how long the 5 1.1ml tank cartridges would last. Is each one the equivalent to a normal cigarette?

Yes you will need to buy the liquid. One tank is I guess the equivilant of 5 or 6 smokes in the real world. It really depends how much they use it ... the tanks are normally empty on purchase and can be refilled with your own juice.

The Liquid comes in 10 or 30ml bottles - when I used the tank cartridges I'd go through appx 2-3 in a day, but I'm quite a heavy vapor and spend every waking moment with the ecig in my hand almost.

Just a heads up - thick dark juices e.g. Coffee, caramel etc..do not work well in tanks, if the juice looks like syrup in the bottle add a small (few drops) amount of vodka to thin it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭patrickspicture

murria wrote: »

I would agree with getting a disposable , but not the jj ones that they sell at the shop.
    I tried one from these folks http://www.nicocig.ie/
    they had a booth in swords and blanchardstown. it worked well and made me think it was worth giving ecigs a go.

also here is a cheap kit from the uk. http://www.volcano-ecigs.co.uk/volcano-express-starter-kit-tobacco.html
    would suggest this over disposable cause it is not much more then a disposable and if they like it you can get extra batteries and pre-filled cartos.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 chocs09

Hi everyone,

Myself and my boyfriend would really like to give up smoking. We were off them before for about 6 months using the nicorette inhaler, however, we have fallen off the wagon and are back smoking around 10/15 a day each.

I recently bought a vapourizer e cig(just screw on new cartomizers/no liquid refill???) on groupon and find its only ok, the charger has stopped working though and rather than get a new charger I am wondering if anyone can recommend any brand to me as I am not sure this vapourizer gives the "hit" that some others do. For example I have been in pubs with people before who have let me try their e cigs and they were stronger and gave the hit i think we need. (I know this sounds a bit like im making excuses)

Anyhow, any help, advice, recommendations would be great, I am open to any??

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

chocs09 wrote: »
    Bang.

After that you just need replacement coil-heads that you screw into the liquid-holding device when the old one goes bad annnnnnnnd more juice.
    You do get 25ml of juice with that starter kit, should last over a week unless you're a vape-hound and/or out pubbing and clubbing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

chocs09 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Myself and my boyfriend would really like to give up smoking. We were off them before for about 6 months using the nicorette inhaler, however, we have fallen off the wagon and are back smoking around 10/15 a day each.

I recently bought a vapourizer e cig(just screw on new cartomizers/no liquid refill???) on groupon and find its only ok, the charger has stopped working though and rather than get a new charger I am wondering if anyone can recommend any brand to me as I am not sure this vapourizer gives the "hit" that some others do. For example I have been in pubs with people before who have let me try their e cigs and they were stronger and gave the hit i think we need. (I know this sounds a bit like im making excuses)

Thanks
    It might seem very overwhelming by the amount of info going around the internet.

Would it bother you having a device that doesn't look like a cigarette?
    If not then there's only one device everyone around here will recommend and that's the kanger twist starter kit on e-smokeireland.eu.It packs a punch,the battery is top and you get sample juices.Its 58 euro from what I remember,but its a lot of bang for your buck and has everything you need.After buying that you'll see how it works and start getting a bit adventurous.

other advantages of buying a device like the kanger compared to the e-cigs is the cost after buying is a lot less than buying cartridges,the amount of flavours available is never ending and the battery life and punch from the device is far better.

One thing though,vaping turns into a hobby and next thing you know you want to buy everything,trust me :-P

Hi, just bumping this thread to thank everybody here that gave me advice on what to get for the parents. They started using them on January 1st and haven't touched a cigarette since.

So thanks :]

Advertisement