Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Shaver €30 (if stock left) [v's Argos Philips PT920]

Options
  • 28-11-2012 2:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

Lidl in Midleton, Cork have some of these left on the shelf(Tues 27Nov), I think they were introduced a few weeks ago and so many stores may actually be out of stock by now. Anyway, for what it's worth, I liked it a lot...

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_25699.htm

... For the price of new foil/cutters for my old Remington FF600, I thought I'd try this twin foil + intercept shaver from Lidl and it gave a great smooth shave. NB (Noting that I've got tough stubble, sensitive skin) I've found it to be much better than the Philips PT920, which I was giving a good try out --- so that, IMO, this particular shaver (no doubt being a clone/rebrand of some Remington or Braun model) might be of interest to some of those who missed or were disappointed with the outcome of the recent Argos stampede :D

Lidl-Silvercrestcorded-cordlessshaverEUR30.jpg

Specs:
    • Stainless steel blades {12 months usage might be expected}
    • Washable cutting head
    • For wet or dry shaving {I'd stick with dry}
    • Triple blade system adapts to contours of face and neck {ie 2 foils + mid-position intercepter -- same as FF600 etc}
    • Extendable comb for trimming
    • Cordless usage (fully charged) up to (mins): 90 {1200mAh NiMH}
    • Charge time (mins): 90 {3-pin plug already fitted - unusual!}
    • 5 min rapid charge for single shave {LEDs show remaining charge}
    • Includes mains adaptor, travel pouch and cleaning brush {basic zip bag but big enough for charger}
    • 3 year manufacturer’s warranty {nice but prob not useful ultimately}

nb: strike-thru on text above of particular spec which is grossly overstated in a context of the Philips PT920 (not a real problem though).

Short version:
    it's an excellent foil shaver - incredibly close shave with proper technique (eg 98% as good as wet shave for me)[I'd have rated the Philips as 90-95%, some good, some bad areas]...
    kinda plasticly body, moderate noise level (for a foil shaver);
    NiMH 2xAA battery (probably soldered, possibly hack-replaceable);
    essentially disposable as replacement parts are via 'Lutter and Partner'-- rebranding outfit linked to Lidl -- contact numbers supplied (!unless someone identifies OEM make/model !) ;

Longform opinion and info:
    While not a straighforward obvious bargain, this is a proper shaver for a good price imho.
    I've always used an electric foil shaver and, with my trusty FF600 fading gradually, I've had a go with the Philips PT920 for the last week-ish. I always wondered how a rotary shaver would compare - especially speed-, noise- and closeness-wise.

It turns out the rotary PT920 shaver is vastly quieter than my old FF600. This Lidl model is mid-way between them: noisy but not annoying. The FF600 was annoyingly loud.

The rotary shaver is a bit quicker to cut through the general stubble. The floating heads of the PT920 do genuinely give a good shave into the concave side-of-throat areas more effortlessly than the basically rather rigid foil shaver design - they need similar approach as using a razor blade. But (big but!)...

...so far, unless I suddenly unlock some excellent technique with the PT920, either foil shaver ultimately gives me a much closer, more controllable shave than the rotary type Philips PT920 we all clambered to get for similar price.

In hindsight the rest of this post has a distinct likehood of a "tl;dr" reaction :D LOL

My personal technique
    from the trusty FF600 transfers seemlessly onto this Lidl shaver. I might as well re-iterate something I wrote in the other thread and add a bit of detail on the off chance it helps...

essential for me to use a pre-shave oil eg 2 drops of Total Shaving Solution;
    pout/gurn/generally stretch all skin while shaving;
    just apply same pressure as with a wet-shave razor blade;
    go 'with-grain' all over, then 'against-grain' all over and then some gentle little circles to catch any long stragglers. Finish with 'against-grain' on any stubble left nb some starts to show through gradually as skin begins to tighten/dry out over duration of 10-12 mins shaving;
    apply non-alcohol aftershave balm or lotion;

Long-story-longer: (while I'm in the mood for writing)
    In the 'with-grain' phase: starting at top of beard area shave in 1-inch movements, at slow speed of ~1 sweep per second; on reaching the neck invert the shaver so that crook of the shaver body angles upward... allows more even contact; For each movement of the shaver land gently with the leading foil and roll off from the trailing foil; (am I explainly that at all? LOL)
    In the against-grain phase: same as above but start at bottom of beard area;
    In the little-circle phase: very, very light pressure but quicker speed of ~2 circles per second around a tiny coin - main utilty for this is at side of neck away from most sensitive throat area;
    Most likely now left with short stubble felt underneath along the line of the jawbone, at both sides of windpipe and re-appearing on upper lip as skin tightens/dries...
    ...going against-the-grain on any area where stubble is felt will work but bear in mind to...
    stretch the upper lip an extra amount to expose the stubble and concentrate with one particular foil;
    lean head to one side and stick chin up in the air(!) to shave from the near the ear along under the jawbone against-grain and then further down on the neck again going towards throat in lines that are parallel to jawbone;
    remember to minimise the shaving done on sensitive throat areas eg don't linger on one patch very long: do part of another area and come back
    NB When checking for stubble, don't rub your skin with pads of fingers (too rough on skin in this stretched, dry state), use backs of fingers lightly only.

Having waffled on that much, if it turns out to be of any use to anyone, I should probably consider monitizing it all.
    I could be installed as the Minister for Shaving in the next government maybe.
    "Put some oil on that bit, Gubnat..."
    "Yes, Minister!"
    "Mmmm..."
    Zzzzz....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

MrAbc wrote: »
    Lidl in Midleton, Cork have some of these left on the shelf, I think they were introduced a few weeks ago and so many stores may actually be out of stock by now. Anyway, for what it's worth, I liked it a lot...

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_25699.htm

... For the price of new foil/cutters for my old FF600, I thought I'd try this FF600-lookalike foil shaver from Lidl and it gave a great shave. NB (Noting that I've got tough stubble, sensitive skin) I've found it to be much better than the Philips PT920, which I was giving a good try out --- so that, IMO, this particular shaver (no doubt being a clone/rebrand of some Remington or Braun model) might be of interest to some of those who missed or were disappointed with the outcome of the recent Argos stampede :D

Lidl-Silvercrestcorded-cordlessshaverEUR30.jpg

Specs:
    • Stainless steel blades {12 months usage might be expected}
    • Washable cutting head
    • For wet or dry shaving {I'd stick with dry}
    • Triple blade system adapts to contours of face and neck
    • Extendable comb for trimming
    • Cordless usage (fully charged) up to (mins): 90
    • Charge time (mins): 90
    • 5 min rapid charge for single shave
    • Includes mains adaptor, travel pouch and cleaning brush
    • 3 year manufacturer’s warranty {nice but prob not useful ultimately}

nb: strike-thru on text above of particular spec which is grossly overstated in a context of the Philips PT920 (not a real problem though).

Short version:
    it's an excellent foil shaver - incredibly close shave with proper technique (eg 98% as good as wet shave for me)[I'd have rated the Philips as 90-95%, some good, some bad areas]...
    kinda plasticly body, moderate noise level (for a foil shaver);
    NiMH 2xAA battery (probably soldered, possibly hack-replaceable);
    essentially disposable as replacement parts are via 'Lutter and Partner'-- rebranding outfit linked to Lidl -- contact numbers supplied (!unless someone identifies OEM make/model !) ;

Longform opinion and info:
    While not a straighforward obvious bargain, this is a proper shaver for a good price imho.
    I've always used an electric foil shaver and, with my trusty FF600 fading gradually, I've had a go with the Philips PT920 for the last week-ish. I always wondered how a rotary shaver would compare - especially speed-, noise- and closeness-wise.

It turns out the rotary PT920 shaver is vastly quieter than my old FF600. This Lidl model is mid-way between them: noisy but not annoying. The FF600 was annoyingly loud.

The rotary shaver is a bit quicker to cut through the general stubble. The floating heads of the PT920 do genuinely give a good shave into the concave side-of-throat areas more effortlessly than the basically rather rigid foil shaver design - they need similar approach as using a razor blade. But (big but!)...

...so far, unless I suddenly unlock some excellent technique with the PT920, either foil shaver ultimately gives me a much closer, more controllable shave than the rotary type Philips PT920 we all clambered to get for similar price.

In hindsight the rest of this post has a distinct likehood of a "tl;dr" reaction :D LOL

My personal technique
    from the trusty FF600 transfers seemlessly onto this cheapo Lidl shaver. I might as well re-iterate something I wrote in the other thread and add a bit of detail on the off chance it helps...

essential for me to use a pre-shave oil eg 2 drops of Total Shaving Solution;
    pout/gurn/generally stretch all skin while shaving;
    just apply same pressure as with a wet-shave razor blade;
    go 'with-grain' all over, then 'against-grain' all over and then some gentle little circles to catch any long stragglers. Finish with 'against-grain' on any stubble left nb some starts to show through gradually as skin begins to tighten/dry out over duration of 10-12 mins shaving;
    apply non-alcohol aftershave balm or lotion;

Long-story-longer: (while I'm in the mood for writing)
    In the 'with-grain' phase: starting at top of beard area shave in 1-inch movements, at slow speed of ~1 sweep per second; on reaching the neck invert the shaver so that crook of the shaver body angles upward... allows more even contact; For each movement of the shaver land gently with the leading foil and roll off from the trailing foil; (am I explainly that at all? LOL)
    In the against-grain phase: same as above but start at bottom of beard area;
    In the little-circle phase: very, very light pressure but quicker speed of ~2 circles per second around a tiny coin - main utilty for this is at side of neck away from most sensitive throat area;
    Most likely now left with short stubble felt underneath along the line of the jawbone, at both sides of windpipe and re-appearing on upper lip as skin tightens/dries...
    ...going against-the-grain on any area where stubble is felt will work but bear in mind to...
    stretch the upper lip an extra amount to expose the stubble and concentrate with one particular foil;
    lean head to one side and stick chin up in the air(!) to shave from the near the ear along under the jawbone against-grain and then further down on the neck again going towards throat in lines that are parallel to jawbone;
    remember to minimise the shaving done on sensitive throat areas eg don't linger on one patch very long: do part of another area and come back
    NB When checking for stubble, don't rub your skin with pads of fingers (too rough on skin in this stretched, dry state), use backs of fingers lightly only.

Having waffled on that much, if it turns out to be of any use to anyone, I should probably consider monitizing it all.
    I could be installed as the Minister for Shaving in the next government maybe.
    "Put some oil on that bit, Gubnat..."
    "Yes, Minister!"
    "Mmmm..."
    Zzzzz....

Naaaahhhh, thanks though

Advertisement