Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay freeze

Options
  • 27-11-2012 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey guys,

Im wondering if you could share your knowlege on the topic as I dont know much about it. I have been in my job for nearly 3 years on minimum wage and since I have started I have been on a pay freeze. All the rest of the workers on one too but my question is..
    How long can a company keep a pay freeze?

the shop I work in has been meeting most targets set every week so I dont understand why there would be a pay freeze. Anyone with information? :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

They can freeze pay indefinitely.

Whether they can afford to raise pay or not is to do with ability to pay (profitability) and need to pay (staff will leave unless pay increases). Your units performance is not really all that relevant.

Do either of these things apply to your company (and not some vague idea they are making loads of money, have you actually looked at the accounts). The retail sector has been devastated by the recession and many stores have shut down over the last couple of years. Unlike the state sector, if a private company is not making money it can't pay out money.

You are best off improving your personal skillset and looking for a promotion or leaving to go to another company if you want to raise your pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Even during the boom many retailers would have certain levels of retail staff on minimum wage and keep it that way. As has been said in the excellent post above, improve your skill set and move up or out.

I have 15 years in retail - quite well paid at the end - but I'm pursuing other avenues these days. It gets incredibly dull very quickly.

Advertisement