Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** LC Business **

Options
  • 27-11-2012 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭

Anyone who has done well in this subject in the past able to offer a bit of advice here? :)

I'm particularly worried about the marking scheme in the subject. Can someone please clear this up for me, it's been bugging the life outta me for ages. If a point is given in your textbook, but it isn't mentioned in the marking scheme, will an examiner give marks for it or completely disregard it? I was talking to my business teacher about this and he said that because "Etc." is written at the end if most lists of points, the examiner will give marks for the point if they see it as relevant but then I've heard the horror stories of people giving points that were in the textbooks, and that they're teachers had previously marked as correct, and yet they still didn't get the marks (including me last year :p). So then does it depend on the examiner's interpretation or what? Anyone able to help me here cos' this has really been stressing me lately.

So then I was thinking of downloading marking schemes from previous years and learning off the answers from them because the questions are quite repetitive, but even they aren't consistent? :confused: I was looking through the papers and in 2012 and 2005 they asked the pretty much the same question, principles of communication, but there were two different sets of points given... What the hell like? :pac:

So how does anyone suggest I should study for Business? Looking for a fairly high grade, B1 - A2 hopefully.

Sorry, I always seem to be posting about marking schemes, I'm an awful boring fecker aren't I :o

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

They can't expect to every single book to have the exact same definition on everything, so there will be more than one answer being accepted for those kind of questions. But you may need a certain word in the definition to get the marks, e.g (I do Economics, not business so I'll give an economics definition) : If the Q was State the law of Diminishing Marginal Utility, the Answer is, 'it states that as a consumer consumes additional units of a good, the marginal utility for that good will eventually decline.' To get full marks, you would more than likely need the word 'additional units' (or same point, different words could be used) and 'marginal utility'. The word marginal utility MUST be there to get the marks. In the end it does come down to the corrector whether the definition you gave is actually right or not and includes every detail necessary.

But to answer your question, the definitions in your book should be ok :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Yep, they have to accept it if it's logical and valid...thats the guideline anyway. It does say the sample answers in the marking scheme are just suggestions, after all. I viewed my script though and was shocked to see a few 30/60s on mine, certainly not what I had expected, but I didn't care enough to investigate. Apparently a lot of people just got 0 if it wasnt on the marking scheme, maybe they were just more strict this year!

But yeah I'd say the marking schemes are your best bet. For the short questions and definitions take the MS ones, not the book's. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

ray2012 wrote: »
    They can't expect to every single book to have the exact same definition on everything, so there will be more than one answer being accepted for those kind of questions. But you may need a certain word in the definition to get the marks, e.g (I do Economics, not business so I'll give an economics definition) : If the Q was State the law of Diminishing Marginal Utility, the Answer is, 'it states that as a consumer consumes additional units of a good, the marginal utility for that good will eventually decline.' To get full marks, you would more than likely need the word 'additional units' (or same point, different words could be used) and 'marginal utility'. The word marginal utility MUST be there to get the marks. In the end it does come down to the corrector whether the definition you gave is actually right or not and includes every detail necessary.

But to answer your question, the definitions in your book should be ok :)
    I do Econ too and I get what ya mean about the definitions :)

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Yep, they have to accept it if it's logical and valid...thats the guideline anyway. It does say the sample answers in the marking scheme are just suggestions, after all. I viewed my script though and was shocked to see a few 30/60s on mine, certainly not what I had expected, but I didn't care enough to investigate. Apparently a lot of people just got 0 if it wasnt on the marking scheme, maybe they were just more strict this year!

But yeah I'd say the marking schemes are your best bet. For the short questions and definitions take the MS ones, not the book's. :)

I can relate :( As can half the country this year apparently :pac: It's so off-putting and confusing when your textbook doesn't even match the marking scheme :confused:

Thanks Patchy ... You're always a good help :D

Anyone else who can help, keep the advice comin' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Does anyone else have business today .. The points in it aren't great and I think it's a terrible book .. I suppose the answers on the marking scheme are quite good tbh .. I got the less stress more success for business and I think it's quite good

Does anyone else have business today .. The points in it aren't great and I think it's a terrible book .. I suppose the answers on the marking scheme are quite good tbh .. I got the less stress more success for business and I think it's quite good

I actually have two business books :pac: Business Express and The Business. I really like The Business, especially how they summarise the key points along the sides of each page. It's really helpful for quick revison. Might invest in one of the revision books. You find the helpful?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Conor94

I use 21st Century Business. I find it has a lot of unnecessary content and is, overall, a pretty bad book.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

I use global business...........very out of date does not even begin to describe this book, the majority of work my class does now is off of sheets. I bought a revise wise last year and shortcuts to success revision book, if you're going to buy a revision book get a shortcuts to success rather than a revise wise. IMO it is much better. IDK about any other revision books though.

HugsiePie wrote: »
    I use global business...........very out of date does not even begin to describe this book, the majority of work my class does now is off of sheets. I bought a revise wise last year and shortcuts to success revision book, if you're going to buy a revision book get a shortcuts to success rather than a revise wise. IMO it is much better. IDK about any other revision books though.

General consensus seems to be that ReviseWise isn't all that good alright :p

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭CatEyed92

Is it possible to get an A1 if your doing it in one year?
    :rolleyes:

CatEyed92 wrote: »
    Is it possible to get an A1 if your doing it in one year?
    :rolleyes:

Definitely, if ya work at it (as cliché an answer as that might seem :pac:) I've heard of people getting A1's in one year in subjects that are alot harder than Business. It's all rote learning in business with very little understanding required, for the most part, so I can't see why ya couldn't get a really good grade :) Marking schemes a bit of a b*tch though

• Advertisement

Bump

Let's get a bit of traffic going though this thread lads, could really use your help here :)

Any teachers or examiners (that one's a long shot!) able to say for definite if a relevant point will get the marks in the business exam without being on the marking scheme?

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭anirishlad

Cant help you but we've got the global business book as well and its horrible!! Is the less stress to success revision book the best one??

anirishlad wrote: »
    Cant help you but we've got the global business book as well and its horrible!! Is the less stress to success revision book the best one??

None of the business textbooks seem great. It's supposed to be the best of the revision books, have it ordered myself so I hope it's good :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭ConorCBS

None of the business textbooks seem great. It's supposed to be the best of the revision books, have it ordered myself so I hope it's good :pac:

We have "It's the Business" and I think it's pretty good. I believe it was only printed this year as there is some recent examples used in the book. I've no problems with it anyway.

I have Less Stress, More Success as all our class had to get it but I much prefer using the textbook for studying.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

anirishlad wrote: »
    I find it pretty good .. It summaries down the points from the book but then it has a lot of extra information that the bool is missing but that's just my opinion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Business is my strongest subject so I'd be hoping for an A1 naturally, but I'd take a B1.

We pretty much have the course done so its all revision from here on..

What topics do ye want to come up or reckon have a good chance of coming up? Obviously I'm aware that nobody actually knows but its fun to speculate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭ConorCBS

I got an A1 in my Christmas test so happy with that. :)

I'm only in 5th year. When did you all finish the course? We've already finished units 1, 2, 3, and 7. I would imagine we could finish the course by summer, though some of the remaining units seem a bit longer so maybe mightn't get them all finished. Are we going fast or is it normal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Indiego

ConorCBS wrote: »

I'm only in 5th year. When did you all finish the course? We've already finished units 1, 2, 3, and 7. I would imagine we could finish the course by summer, though some of the remaining units seem a bit longer so maybe mightn't get them all finished. Are we going fast or is it normal?

I got an A1 too :D
    We have 1,2&3 done, so you're only a bit ahead I suppose :)

TheStook wrote: »
    Business is my strongest subject so I'd be hoping for an A1 naturally, but I'd take a B1.

We pretty much have the course done so its all revision from here on..

What topics do ye want to come up or reckon have a good chance of coming up? Obviously I'm aware that nobody actually knows but its fun to speculate
    Shh, the SEC will hear you :pac: Nah but seriously, I don't do predictions. Sylvia and Seamo put me off predictions last June :rolleyes:
    ConorCBS wrote: »

To have that much done is good progress. You must have a really good teacher? :)

Shh, the SEC will hear you :pac: Nah but seriously, I don't do predictions. Sylvia and Seamo put me off predictions last June :rolleyes:

Plath will come up this year. :D

I whisper that to myself every night before sleep so it has to be true

• Advertisement

Plath will come up this year. :D

I whisper that to myself every night before sleep so it has to be true

Make sure you cover yourself is all I'll say ;)

Make sure you cover yourself is all I'll say ;)

Nope, never.

You're gonna open up the paper in June and see Sylvia Plaths sexy question and laugh at your stupidity in doubting the Plath and studying other poets whilst I shall have already written my introduction whilst laughing at "BrownBear11" in my head.

But in all seriousness I shall be well covered :)

Nope, never.

You're gonna be lying in bed happily in June and see Sylvia Plaths sexy question and not really be bothered and study Maths for a bit whilst I shall have already written my introduction whilst laughing at "BrownBear11" in my head.

But in all seriousness I shall be well covered :)

FYP. Don't do English this year :D The irony is it was my best result in August

Crisis averted lads, for anyone who cares :o They will give the marks so long as the point is relevant to the question asked, even if it's not on the marking scheme's suggested answers. That's according to my mock anyway.

Relief :) Just hope I get as reasonable an examiner come the Summer

Advertisement