Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Attempted Robbery + Damage = Insurance Cover?

Options
  • 27-11-2012 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭

Wanted to get the gist of what I'm trying to get at in the title! :P

Lads, I'm just wondering if any of you have an experience dealing with your insurance company after someone has broken into your car?

My gripe is this:
    Last year my car was broken into by some some oppertunists, rear window was broken and it was replaced under my insurance policy, which was TPF&T.

I was told this wouldn't have any affect on my No Claims, as this was theft to the vehicle. Grand I thought, until last year's renewal came in and they wanted another 800Euros... :confused: They wouldn't budge on this and wouldn't tell me why it had risen so much, so I'm guessing it must have been down to my claim.

To my misfortune once again, last week someone tried to take my car. They tried to get my keys from my house, through the letter box, but only managed to get at the keyfob, opening the doors, but leaving the steering lock in place.

When they got into the car they tried, and thankfully failed to get the steering lock off. But the damage they've done to the wheel has left it undrivable. I don't know what to do, I've reported it the the insurance company and I'll be looking for quotes myself for the repair work, but this is going to cost a minimum of 1000euro to fix :eek:

I feel like because I'm a victim of crime, and even having insurance to prevent this from happening, I'll be severely out of pocket next year at renual time. Can the insurance Ombudsman help out in a situation like this, or would I be pissing in the wind if I even tried?

Has anyone ever claimed for theft on their insurance and had it rise significantly the following year?!
    If it does, what's the point in having insurance in the first place. I'm paying a small fortune on insurance, and have been without the use of my car since last week. Only today after much insistance I am finally (Hopefully), getting somewhere with them.

Also, just to had. The same car theif was cought by the Gards that same night trying to break into another house, so atleast that's something...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Whilst it might not effect your no claims bonus its still a claim and will still be reflected in your renewal.

Policies vary from insurer to insurer so nobody can tell you exactly what you're entitled to.

The ombudsman can only assist in situations where you feel you're not being treated fairly.... If you feel that is the case then you can bring a complaint to them. I would point out though that they are probably just going by their own policy conditions....

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

Thanks for the reply mugmugs, I hear what you're saying about it being a claim.

I was always of the opinion that a claim in which my insurance company would have to pay, ie. if I crashed into the rear of another car, and was completely at fault, only then would my premium be higher the next year.

I just feel very aggreved that someone can do so much damage to my car, and even though I have insurance, it's still going to cost an arm and a leg out of my own pocket eventually. I was always o the opinion insurance would safe yard against this sort of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 48 jayc12

I think you are being treated unfairly by the insurance company. A similar incident happened to my sisters car over a year ago. The back window was broken by the thieves. She phoned the insurance company and they replaced the window. The incident had no effect on her insurance for this year or on her no claims bonus.

jayc12 wrote: »
    I think you are being treated unfairly by the insurance company. A similar incident happened to my sisters car over a year ago. The back window was broken by the thieves. She phoned the insurance company and they replaced the window. The incident had no effect on her insurance for this year or on her no claims bonus.

That's what I like to hear, that something had to claim through no fault of their own, and didn't get fleeced on the next renewal.

I'm just very unsure as to pay for the repairs myself, or let the insurance pay for it. I'm afraid of my renewal next year :/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Bandito909 wrote: »
    Wanted to get the gist of what I'm trying to get at in the title! :P

Lads, I'm just wondering if any of you have an experience dealing with your insurance company after someone has broken into your car?

My gripe is this:
    Last year my car was broken into by some some oppertunists, rear window was broken and it was replaced under my insurance policy, which was TPF&T.

I was told this wouldn't have any affect on my No Claims, as this was theft to the vehicle. Grand I thought, until last year's renewal came in and they wanted another 800Euros... :confused: They wouldn't budge on this and wouldn't tell me why it had risen so much, so I'm guessing it must have been down to my claim.

As it was a theft case you could have moved to another insurance company. But it's a bit late now.

To my misfortune once again, last week someone tried to take my car. They tried to get my keys from my house, through the letter box, but only managed to get at the keyfob, opening the doors, but leaving the steering lock in place.

When they got into the car they tried, and thankfully failed to get the steering lock off. But the damage they've done to the wheel has left it undrivable. I don't know what to do, I've reported it the the insurance company and I'll be looking for quotes myself for the repair work, but this is going to cost a minimum of 1000euro to fix :eek:

I feel like because I'm a victim of crime, and even having insurance to prevent this from happening, I'll be severely out of pocket next year at renual time. Can the insurance Ombudsman help out in a situation like this, or would I be pissing in the wind if I even tried?

Has anyone ever claimed for theft on their insurance and had it rise significantly the following year?!
    If it does, what's the point in having insurance in the first place. I'm paying a small fortune on insurance, and have been without the use of my car since last week. Only today after much insistance I am finally (Hopefully), getting somewhere with them.

Unfortunately on this one I think there insurance company won't pay out. You didn't secure your keys, so you'll have to pay for the damage yourself.
    Also, just to had. The same car theif was cought by the Gards that same night trying to break into another house, so atleast that's something...

My car was broken into many moons ago. The scumbag was caught in the act, two trips to court later and he got away with it.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    Unfortunately on this one I think there insurance company won't pay out. You didn't secure your keys, so you'll have to pay for the damage yourself.

This is just madness, you reckon they would say something like that? I left my keys in the hall of my house, am I expected to put them in a safe?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You are expected to keep them out of the reach of criminals.

I just don't understand keeping keys where they can be easily taken.

This is just madness, you reckon they would say something like that? I left my keys in the hall of my house, am I expected to put them in a safe?!

No, you are supposed to keep them secure though.

Leave them in a place that can't be seen from outside, but is visible if anyone breaks in. Leaving them on the table in the hall is just asking for what happened to you.

Del2005 wrote: »

Leaving them on the table in the hall is just asking for what happened to you.

Thanks for the input...

Keys were not in full view, but were easy to find. Better they find the keys than hold a kettle of boiling water over me while I'm asleep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Urban legend.

• Advertisement

Urban legend.

Cheers.

Thanks for the input...

Keys were not in full view, but were easy to find. Better they find the keys than hold a kettle of boiling water over me while I'm asleep!

If they weren't visible how did the thieves get them out the letter box?:confused:
    Urban legend.

It may have started out as one. But it's happening now, I know a few people who it's happened to.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Thanks for the input...

Keys must have been visible from outside in some manner in order for them to figure they could reach them from the letterbox...either way leaving them within reaching point of the front door is not securing your keys.

If leaving thieves get easy access to your keys is important to you to avoid the 0.0001% chance that you may somehow be attacked then perhaps just leave your keys in your car and make it really easy for them.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21 playmasterone

Hi I was a customer in an on post offfice when it wss robbed and I was just wondering do I have a claim as I cant sleep right simce I keep dreaming about it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Hi I was a customer in an on post offfice when it wss robbed and I was just wondering do I have a claim as I cant sleep right simce I keep dreaming about it
    Welcome to the motors forum!

Was it you who broke into my car?! Fair play for digging up an old thread just to say that :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Welcome to the motors forum!

Ah but there is a link. OP had an 2nd attempted theft of key through the letterbox. Playmasterone was in a post office.

Spooky :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

playmasterone, try the Personal Issues forum about counselling.
    I don't know if you have a claim to cover expenses but they might know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement