Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8 download link/mirror?

Options
  • 27-11-2012 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭

Looking for an official iso of it, no cracked/hacked stuff. Can't seem to find a 64 bit version on the Microsoft site that isn't a Customer preview.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

when you purchase the software in the online store at microsoft.com they provide you with the link through the Digital River content delivery system.

They don't seem too fussy about time limits on that either. I just redownloaded my copy of Office 2010 Academic Pro a year after the fact with no quips from the original link in my email.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Overheal wrote: »
    when you purchase the software in the online store at microsoft.com they provide you with the link through the Digital River content delivery system.

They don't seem too fussy about time limits on that either. I just redownloaded my copy of Office 2010 Academic Pro a year after the fact with no quips from the original link in my email.

I was hoping to use the 30 days evaluation period (if they still do that like back in XP) before buying basically. I'm downloading the consumer preview now, but apparently we can't just upgrade... :/

Daniel S wrote: »
    I was hoping to use the 30 days evaluation period (if they still do that like back in XP) before buying basically. I'm downloading the consumer preview now, but apparently we can't just upgrade... :/
    The Consumer Preview allows you to perform an in-place upgrade from your current OS. From there you can do an in-place upgrade of CP to the full 8 when you decide to purchase. Bear in mind, the CP will not have access to the same Apps (only a couple hundred that were CP apps) and limited support and updates which I think have all ceased anyway. I think CP can be run through January and then it will start to lock down after thatbyond a given time frame. Cant recall atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

The Consumer Preview allows you to perform an in-place upgrade from your current OS. From there you can do an in-place upgrade of CP to the full 8 when you decide to purchase. Bear in mind, the CP will not have access to the same Apps (only a couple hundred that were CP apps) and limited support and updates which I think have all ceased anyway. I think CP can be run through January and then it will start to lock down after thatbyond a given time frame. Cant recall atm.
    So I can't make a bootable USB from the Consumer Preview and do a clean install?

Daniel S wrote: »
    So I can't make a bootable USB from the Consumer Preview and do a clean install?
    You asked if you can Upgrade, and I answered. Don't act like a customer, I'm off the clock.

Yes you can boot it to USB. Instructions are here:

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-make-windows-8-bootable-usb-flash-drive-the-easy-way/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

censored

All official trail versions of Windows 8

those are torrent distributed, and not from an official source. At best these are clean RTM discs but RTM - release to Manufacturer, not for public distribution. They are not Trial editions. It's copyright infringement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

those are torrent distributed, and not from an official source. At best these are clean RTM discs but RTM - release to Manufacturer, not for public distribution. They are not Trial editions. It's copyright infringement.

There a fast download and I purchased a key yesterday after my trail was up, can't see much wrong in using these, but I will edit the post if it's not acceptable

kingtiger wrote: »
    There a fast download and I purchased a key yesterday after my trail was up, can't see much wrong in using these, but I will edit the post if it's not acceptable
    It is expressly against the charter and places boards.ie at risk for litigation.

The Consumer Preview is still available through Microsoft.com on an official channel, so there is no need to supply backdoor torrent trackers/cd-keys.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

kingtiger wrote: »
    Putting up links to warez is completely unacceptable :mad:

It's microsoft license so their rules

• Advertisement
Advertisement