Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilrush Road Tarmac

Options
  • 27-11-2012 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

So whats the deal with the tarmac going down on the Kilrush road in Ennis? I lived there for over two years and that road there was in good order. Is there a good reason they are ripping it all up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭pilate 1

CptSternn wrote: »
    So whats the deal with the tarmac going down on the Kilrush road in Ennis? I lived there for over two years and that road there was in good order. Is there a good reason they are ripping it all up?

if its clare co co there must be a good reason:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

They have been at it since last Thursday! How long does it take to put down some tarmac?

Here is what really bothers me - they have a very important intersection blocked off. You can't go all the way down Kilrush road nor can you turn at Cootes shop heading towards Eire Og. I drive past that spot a few times a day normally. Now I have to reroute and drive all the way through town. It's a pain in the hole, and has been since they started last Thursday!

I used to live right there on that small stretch of road between Kilrush Road and Eire Og. The road they are ripping up was FINE. I have a motorbike and can tell you where in Ennis the road NEEDS to be fixed, and right there was not bad, no pot holes or anything.

What really irks me is they are doing this in December. Ye do realise no one does tarmac in the winter months? Having worked with lads who do the job they will tell you it is ten times harder to do it in the winter because of all the rain and the problems ye have trying to keep it hot enough to lay on the road. So why are they doing it in the coldest month of the year?

Well, therein lies the other issue - government waste. See, government agencies have to spend their entire budget if they expect to get a budget increase. No agency wants to have a budget surplus because that means they will not have MORE money next year but LESS. So at the end of the year government agencies love to throw money at problems that do not exist to get rid of any surplus so they will get a larger chunk of pie in the New Year.

Looks like CCC are tearing up a perfectly good piece of roadway disturbing all of us who live there for a week just so they can bilk us taxpayers out of even more money next year to do the same thing.

I think a good analogy I heard the other day was a self-licking ice cream cone. It exists only to satisfy itself and serves no real purpose. We are being forced to pay for road works we don't need so they will have more money to pay for more unneeded road works next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I wonder is other work being done? For example: there is a perfectly good road beside me which has been dug up a couple of times because of issues with burst water pipes and Bord Gais had to do some work on another occasion.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The work on the Kilrush is being done to fix the man hole covers along the stretch and the junction at Cootes, the man holes were getting worse and worse and sticking up out of the tar, they are replacing the tops and putting the tar around it, apparently they are doing it now because if the weather gets very cold it could be very dangerous and the man holes could break.

Also, CCC aren't doing this for the sake of it, they have been getting complaints from businesses around the place, local residents associations and with the school moving soon they want to get it done ASAP. I also don't see the big deal of turning down by Cleary's/Managan's and down Gallow's Hill to get to the Kilrush Road, it's only for a few days.

As far as I know, there have been some serious accidents at Coote's Cross down through the years, maybe I'm wrong but for some reason I seem to have a recollection of a motorcyclist being killed there and other less serious incidents occurring there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It has gotten a whole lot better since the traffic lights went in, I think that was about 10 years ago now, I remember a load of people complaining at the time about them. My brother was in involved in a bad accident there about 15 years ago and the guards said to him that they were thinking of setting up a station there they were being called out there so often.

CptSternn wrote: »
    Here is what really bothers me - they have a very important intersection blocked off. You can't go all the way down Kilrush road nor can you turn at Cootes shop heading towards Eire Og. I drive past that spot a few times a day normally. Now I have to reroute and drive all the way through town. It's a pain in the hole, and has been since they started last Thursday!

By the way, it's only during the day that it's closed off and last Thursday and Friday you could get as far as Coote's before having to turn off, they were just doing the road between the interchange and Cahercalla Estate, in fact they left it open even after the top layer had been removed. Also, you don't have to drive through town, you can go down by Eire Óg and rejoin the Kilrush Road by either going down Gallows Hill (and come out at the State Buildings) or turn off by O'Dowd's (and come out by Cleary's), I usually turn off during the day anyway as traffic can be a nightmare a The National School any time between 1 and 3.30

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭pilate 1

Clareman wrote: »
    The work on the Kilrush is being done to fix the man hole covers along the stretch and the junction at Cootes, the man holes were getting worse and worse and sticking up out of the tar, they are replacing the tops and putting the tar around it, apparently they are doing it now because if the weather gets very cold it could be very dangerous and the man holes could break.

Also, CCC aren't doing this for the sake of it, they have been getting complaints from businesses around the place, local residents associations and with the school moving soon they want to get it done ASAP. I also don't see the big deal of turning down by Cleary's/Managan's and down Gallow's Hill to get to the Kilrush Road, it's only for a few days.

its allright saying ccc arnt doing this for the sake of it. yes these things may need to be done.however its the wrong time of year and smacks of lets spend what we have left over(or else we wont get money next year)

pilate 1 wrote: »
    its allright saying ccc arnt doing this for the sake of it. yes these things may need to be done.however its the wrong time of year and smacks of lets spend what we have left over(or else we wont get money next year)
    If there is a safety issue with the man hole covers then the work should be done and if it prevents accidents isn't that all that counts.

If there was a serious accident I'm sure people wouldn't be too impressed if CCC said that they were waiting for the weather to improve before commencing work on the road.

pilate 1 wrote: »

I will admit to not knowing how tar is made/stockpiled stored, but most of the expense (staff & equipment) would be incurred whether they are out or not. Also, should we be telling them only to do work in the summer months? Surely they should be a 12 month operation. Finally, with the National school moving out the Kilrush Road surely it's best to be doing all this now rather than when that's opening?

• Advertisement
Advertisement