Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triathlon starter kit

Options
  • 27-11-2012 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

I am looking to do my first triathlon next year. I've done a number of half marathons and 10km runs over the last 3 years. I am a pretty strong swimmer and used to cycle when I was younger quite alot but have never cycled in a race situation.

I am therefore looking to get a decent triathlon bike to start training on and am also looking to avail of the bike to work scheme also.

I noticed the following offer on a cycle website recently for what they call a triathlon starter kit:
    - Selection of bikes (Merida 75, 77, 77 Juliet, 85, 91, 91 Juliet and 93. Giant Avail 5, Defy 4, Avail 3, Defy 3. Trek Lexa, Lex S, Lexa SL, 1.2 or 1.5)
    -Trek Helmet
    -Shimano RO63 shoes
    -Shimano R540 SPD SL Pedals
    -Triathlon quick drying suit
    -Triathlon bars
    -MCL bottle and bottle cage.

Prices vary from approx €750 - €1,300 before the benefit of the bike to work scheme.

Basically, I am looking for some recommendations. Is this a good offer? Which bike would people recommend? Is the package of extras a good deal? Are there other items that would be more useful to include?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

A wet suit will be the other major purchase that's missing from above.

The triathlon suit you have mentioned isn't a necessity unless you are looking to be competitive, shorts and t-shirt will suffice!

I know F-all about the bikes but the Defys always seem to have a good reputation, keep an eye on the specs of the bike. Shimano gears ranking order of importance ascending! Sora-Tiagra-105-Ultegra-Dura Ace

I would guess the package is to a large extent, stuff the bike shop has selected to get rid of - eg those shoes he is offering you are road shoes not triathlon shoes. As you get better you will want to leave your shoes on the bike for quicker transitions, these wont let you do that as the straps are facing the wrong way

You may be as well off just purchasing the bike and haggling him for some other stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Thanks for the response, some useful things there to think about.

Anyone any recommendations on the bike? I'm a 6ft 2' male if that's important.

Anyone recommend a shop that has the best value on bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

Eurocycles on south william street (Dublin) have some seriously well valued bikes at the moment. the webstore is a different kettle of fish to what they have in the shop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

miller82 wrote: »
    Eurocycles on south william street (Dublin) have some seriously well valued bikes at the moment. the webstore is a different kettle of fish to what they have in the shop

Avoid the shop above if you want a bike that fits right and wont break !

for bike to work , it works out better to use the full amount on the bike and buy the accessories yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

dario28 wrote: »
    Avoid the shop above if you want a bike that fits right and wont break !

thats some statement. you reckon their bikes are made in different sizes to other shops and all their bikes break ???

Or you bought a bike that didnt fit you ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

miller82 wrote: »
    thats some statement. you reckon their bikes are made in different sizes to other shops and all their bikes break ???

Or you bought a bike that didnt fit you ?

You don't buy a bike that doesn't fit you, especially from a bricks and mortar outfit. You are mis-sold one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

tunney wrote: »
    You don't buy a bike that doesn't fit you, especially from a bricks and mortar outfit. You are mis-sold one.

Totally missold and then when it started falling apart they couldnt give a fook

unhelpful rude staff

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

NEDDURC wrote: »
    I am looking to do my first triathlon next year. I've done a number of half marathons and 10km runs over the last 3 years. I am a pretty strong swimmer and used to cycle when I was younger quite alot but have never cycled in a race situation.

I am therefore looking to get a decent triathlon bike to start training on and am also looking to avail of the bike to work scheme also.

I noticed the following offer on a cycle website recently for what they call a triathlon starter kit:
    - Selection of bikes (Merida 75, 77, 77 Juliet, 85, 91, 91 Juliet and 93. Giant Avail 5, Defy 4, Avail 3, Defy 3. Trek Lexa, Lex S, Lexa SL, 1.2 or 1.5)
    -Trek Helmet
    -Shimano RO63 shoes
    -Shimano R540 SPD SL Pedals
    -Triathlon quick drying suit
    -Triathlon bars
    -MCL bottle and bottle cage.

Prices vary from approx €750 - €1,300 before the benefit of the bike to work scheme.

Basically, I am looking for some recommendations. Is this a good offer? Which bike would people recommend? Is the package of extras a good deal? Are there other items that would be more useful to include?

What web site?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

godtabh wrote: »

What web site?

Soubds likr mcloughlin cycles in newbridge, kildare.

I remember being tempted by the offer when i was looking at getting my bike, then decided i was better off getting my planet x bike and better gear seperate

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Grassey is correct - it's - http://www.mcloughlincycles.ie/Cycle/index.html

They have a pdf to download to go through the different options.

I think I'll just go to a few shops (Wheelworx is close to my work) and check out what bike suits me and get some advice there. I think the offer they have maybe isn't that great in reality from what I gather from the comments above.

• Advertisement
Advertisement