Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer science Vs. Computing

Options
  • 27-11-2012 4:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hello,

I am doing my leaving this year and I have decided to do a course with computers. I'm looking mainly at ITT, DIT & NCI and some of these have 2 different main computer courses: Computer science and Computing. I am wondering what's the difference between them? and if doing/not doing computer science effect getting a job or job opportunities? I mainly want to work with servers and would love to work in a datacenter in the future.

Thanks,

Aspendy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

The title can mean very little. Look at the modules involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

In my day (the previous millennium) Computer Science resulting in a BSc and was more academic. Computing and Computer Engineering resulted in BEng and was more geared towards the job market.

However that situation has changed somewhat. As FTC has said - look at the modules but also look at the college, the facilities etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 aspendy

In my day (the previous millennium) Computer Science resulting in a BSc and was more academic. Computing and Computer Engineering resulted in BEng and was more geared towards the job market.

However that situation has changed somewhat. As FTC has said - look at the modules but also look at the college, the facilities etc etc.

I compared NCI's computing to DIT's computer science and its pretty much identical. End of the day they're both Bsc's so I don't think it would be a big difference between them. Comparing the NCI's computing Bsc and DIT's computing BSC (not computer science) the computing course in DIT seems to mainly focus on hardware and robotics.

Advertisement