Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adoption agency question

Options
  • 27-11-2012 3:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Does the adoption agency used for a persons adoption have any bearing on where that person was born ?
    For example if I was adopted from St Louise's does that mean I was a Dublin baby, if so did baby's from one particular hospital go through St Louise's ? or is just random ?
    Im asking about the late 60's early 70's, what were the common practices back then ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mamafi

Not sure about you Fuh Q but my hubby was born in co. kildare and was in st. claires in co. meath .

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Fuh Q

You see this is why Im asking, Im suspicious about most things surrounding adoption back then, I am curious if children were moved around the country to help with the cover ups and lies the people were told.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭trixy

Hi from my experience, the agency is related to area. I was adopted through st Louise also and was born St Patricks naval road. I have seen a trend area to agency on numerous sites etc

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

hi, i was born in sacred heart mother and baby home in cork and adopted through the catholic protection agency in dublin now cunamh, so be careful just because ur agency was dublin does,nt mean u were born their.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Fuh Q

Thanks guys, seems to be that its not based on locality but maybe on circumstances at the time, on that basis does anyone find it harder or easier to get information from agencies ?
    For example if you are born in Dublin and adopted through a local agency is it easier to get information and is tracing easier ?
    What reasons would there be for someone from say Dublin to be adopted through an agency in Cork or anywhere else ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Specific homes will have had relationships with specific agencies (not all of whom may have even been in Ireland). As Kathy has pointed out- the nuns who ran Bessboro in Cork- who had their own adoption agency (The Sacred Heart Adoption Society) would have had working relationships with Cunamh in Dublin- and indeed other adoption agencies in the UK (and more notoriously, the US).

The adoption agency involved would only suggest the part of the country you were born in, insofar as they had a working relationship with particular mother and baby homes. Don't presume anything though- there are always exceptions even to what you'd imagine were standard operating procedures for them.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Christy21

Hello
    The film Philomena has sparked off memories from 43 years ago. Susan and I cared for girls in Dublin awaiting births of their babies in hospitals and then various convents for adoption; I think one was in Blackrock, possibly a mother and baby home.
    Does anyone know the kind monk (Jesuit?) at the University Church in St Stephens Green who helped these girls at the difficult time for them.
    The girls we gave homes to were Freddie McGrath from Co. Galway, Geraldine ? (who had a horse-racing background) and Doris (whose mother was German).
    None of these girls kept their babies, even though they could have been assimilated into extended families.
    I am ashamed and angry at the attitudes towards unplanned pregnancy at that time which must seem inexplicable to the modern generation of Irish men and women in a European context.
    If any of these names ring a bell, please contact me.
    Chris

Advertisement