Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Blu-ray player

Options
  • 27-11-2012 3:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can someone please give me an idea on purchasing a blu-ray player

As i've come across a few & people ask me has it got this, has it got that!

as after a while, i'm flummoxed with all the info, the few things i hear the most that it has to be wi-fi for software updates as i've a wireless router, does it play mkv's, :confused: is it ok for surround sound etc.

The budget would be around €60-70

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,391 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You'd be hard pressed to find a decent Blu-Ray player with Wi-Fi for that price. Is the router anywhere near the TV? There are several Blu-Ray players with Ethernet ports in the lower price range but if I was you I'd buy the Sony BDP-S390, it's a 2012 model so supports Netflix and has Wi-Fi. It's £95 on Amazon UK and €129 locally in Harvey Norman.

The S390 ticks all the boxes for playback capability, the only 'NO' is against 3D but I'm guessing that you don't expect that in the price range you're looking at.. http://www.sony.ie/product/blu-ray-disc-player/bdp-s390/technical-specifications#tab

There is a cheaper Sony, the S185 which I'd avoid as it doesn't support Netflix and doesn't have Wi-Fi.

The local shops (DID, Harvey Norman & Power City) websites are shy about stating the actual model numbers for Sony Blu-Ray models in their catalogues so don't fall for a 'special offer' and end up with a 2011 model which you'll find will be obsolete very soon. I'd only go for a model that can take a firmware upgrade, otherwise you're stuck with what you get and there's no upgrade path.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Sorry for the late reply, as i had to attend to a funeral down the country & then got the flu, so was in no state for anything.

It certainly looks impressive, as i had no idea on how much the wireless function would help me, as i only assumed on hearing about machines needing a software update,
    also from reviews on that sony site it looks like it's Multi-Region from the DVD side, but i think most DVD players can be hacked like my own:)

But now could be more helpful by streaming from a laptop, if i've got these few outlined here right, as it would save on transferring files to a USB stick as my tv looks like its sometimes hit or miss with (flv) flash files & only some mp4 files.

The DLNA i hear on the machine has a lot to do with the streaming, i thought it was another word for WIFI? as it looks like the 2 are a lot like each other?

Who would have the best price about for this model?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

Sorry for the late reply, as i had to attend to a funeral down the country & then got the flu, so was in no state for anything.

It certainly looks impressive, as i had no idea on how much the wireless function would help me, as i only assumed on hearing about machines needing a software update,
    also from reviews on that sony site it looks like it's Multi-Region from the DVD side, but i think most DVD players can be hacked like my own:)

But now could be more helpful by streaming from a laptop, if i've got these few outlined here right, as it would save on transferring files to a USB stick as my tv looks like its sometimes hit or miss with (flv) flash files & only some mp4 files.

The DLNA i hear on the machine has a lot to do with the streaming, i thought it was another word for WIFI? as it looks like the 2 are a lot like each other?

Hi Patty. I read on your other posts in Bargain Alerts that you have a LE46C530F

Have you updated the firmware at all?

I had one of those and gifted it to my parents. It wouldn't play a few files this time last year... after they had it about a year. but did so after I updated the firmware. (not sure about .flv type.... I have a lot of media files and none are in that format!)

If you can connect the TV to your LAN and use the auto update function it should update. Or you can put it on a USB from the following Samsung site.
    http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/LE46C530F1WXTK-downloads

It gives you two options and I can't remember which one I used but you can check the current version on your TV and then use the similarly named one. Assuming you haven't updated it.

To see current version go Menu>Support(Last one)>Contact Samsung> Then go "down" to page two and the info should be there.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 lotar

Smart Network Blu-Ray Player DSB100
    Wi-Fi Ready Netflix®, CinemaNow, VUDU, Hulu+, YouTube Streaming Ultra Fast Booting and Loading

• Advertisement

PC CDROM wrote: »
    Hi Patty. I read on your other posts in Bargain Alerts that you have a LE46C530F
    Have you updated the firmware at all?
    None at all.
    I had one of those and gifted it to my parents. It wouldn't play a few files this time last year... after they had it about a year. but did so after I updated the firmware. (not sure about .flv type.... I have a lot of media files and none are in that format!)
    FLV files were downloaded from Youtube then, but most are now .mp4+.avi
    But some recently wouldnt play certain .mp4 files, But it was only a few labelled .mp4 files, so i've kept away from them, but i rang up Samsung anyway & quoted the model no & would send the update, but that was over a month ago?
    If you can connect the TV to your LAN and use the auto update function it should update. Or you can put it on a USB from the following Samsung site.
    http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/LE46C530F1WXTK-downloads

It gives you two options and I can't remember which one I used but you can check the current version on your TV and then use the similarly named one. Assuming you haven't updated it.

To see current version go Menu>Support(Last one)>Contact Samsung> Then go "down" to page two and the info should be there.

Hope that helps.

Yeah mine was there thanks, away to do that now.

I must ask, apart from the s/ware downloads are there any advantages of having one with wifi & wired? & which one's would be preferable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

I must ask, apart from the s/ware downloads are there any advantages of having one with wifi & wired? & which one's would be preferable?

It probably depends on the placement of your device?

If your tv is a few feet from a wired connection then wired is always going to be better that WIFI.

In general I think most people would always choose a direct wired connection over WIFI, if available. As I said before I use those home plug power lan yokes to operate most devices bar the phone and laptops.

In saying that my parents now have another new small Samsung TV in the kitchen and I have bought them a wifi dongle for it because it is a smart TV... so I will know after xmas how wifi and streaming works out for them :)

PC CDROM wrote: »
    It probably depends on the placement of your device?
    If your tv is a few feet from a wired connection then wired is always going to be better that WIFI.
    The router is in a different room, as i have a sky wireless connector now,
    In general I think most people would always choose a direct wired connection over WIFI, if available. As I said before I use those home plug power lan yokes to operate most devices bar the phone and laptops.
    No i missed that, i came across a WLAN Repeater?
    in Lidl today, could you use something similar like that.
    In saying that my parents now have another new small Samsung TV in the kitchen and I have bought them a wifi dongle for it because it is a smart TV... so I will know after xmas how wifi and streaming works out for them :)
    As that's a question i meant to ask about the streaming on the wifi/wired as it may pick up the internet signal from a laptop nearby could it stream that signal on to the tv via the DLNA?

Forgive my ignorance if that's wrong as i'm still trying to grasp at new technology & maybe explaining this arseways :o

Thanks

Just got around to it, here's the link to mine, on where it says T-MSX5DEUC-2011.0 mine is T-MSX5DEUC-2002.2, so it looks like it is well out of date,
    So that's the one i d/load, as i don't want to do anything wrong.

Hopefully that should help with any formats playing via usb, but i'd like to get a recommendation for christmas whether wired/wifi, is it worth it to get a wifi as it would cost extra for the dongle in the long run & depends on how good the internet is streaming as i was interested to hear what was said in the other post about networking with the Allshare & the DLNA, & would it have advantages of having the same brand, one remote maybe here's a list from currys

Thanks.

What's the difference between these two?

SAMSUNG BD-E6100 3D Blu-ray player & SONY BDPS390B.CEK Blu-ray Player

As i was gonna choose the Sony model but saw the Samsung & as i have a Samsung telly, i was a bit bias!
    As i thought of the cheaper models, but a wifi dongle will cost more & will probably match the price of a wifi model afaik.
    I was also given a €5 voucher to be used up tomoro or will there be more of on St Stephen's Day?

What are the audio outputs, as i heard someone reply in a previous post on another item ''it doesn't have any audio outputs to connect to a separate speaker system''.

Also what are the differences it has on the web services also?

Thanks for any advice given.

But what are the one's featured in these models, as its got no description in the Samsung model while the Sony one has HDMI - DSD output / DSD to LPCM conversion & & when doing a comparison some of the boxes are blank? so it doesnt really help.

Although my hifi is connected to my satellite box, do the blu-ray players have good speakers.

Also what are the differences in the web services between the two as well.

Thanks for any advice given.

• Advertisement

Was in the Currys store y'day & a bit dissapointed in the Samsung model having no audio output to connect to surround sound speakers,
    but was told that if connected to the tv it would be come out the speakers of the surround sound?
    Although the surround sound speakers are connected to the satellite box, would an optical cable have worked if it had one on it?

The Sony model wasnt in stock & it had both optical & audio connections on the back of it as the assistant kindly showed me, pity about the samsung model?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Was in the Currys store y'day & a bit dissapointed in the Samsung model having no audio output to connect to surround sound speakers,
    but was told that if connected to the tv it would be come out the speakers of the surround sound?
    Although the surround sound speakers are connected to the satellite box, would an optical cable have worked if it had one on it?

The Sony model wasnt in stock & it had both optical & audio connections on the back of it as the assistant kindly showed me, pity about the samsung model?

I got the LG BP520 last week and it has audio. it also supports wifi dongle http://www.currys.ie/Product/LG-BP520-3D-Bluray-Player/313445/145.1

Advertisement