Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back To Education Allowance??

Options
  • 27-11-2012 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

How yee?... I did my LC in 2011 and it didn't go as planned. I ended up on the dole for the last School year and in September I enrolled in an I.T PLC course (Fetac 5). When I Started the course I heard about BTEA and found this http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/back_to_education_allowance.html

It says you must be at least 21 years old to claim so I immediately thought that's me out because I'm 19, then I applied for a grant through SUSI and like so many others, I still haven’t heard a word back. I was talking to a lad in my class a few weeks ago who's 20 and he's calming BTEA, He was shocked when I told him I wasn't on it and he was convinced that I could claim it but I didn't listen because it says in black and white on citizensinformation.ie that you have to be at least 21 to claim (or 24, whatever that's about).

When I got home today the first thing I did was check my email for anything from SUSI and of course there wasn't, Then out of desperateness I searched for more on BTEA knowing that something wasn't right about Citizen's Information and I found this http://www.welfare.ie/en/publications/sw70/pages/abacktoeducationallowancebtea.aspx#slo according to this you only need to be 18.

I’m 19, I did my LC and left school in June 2011 and I’ve been on the dole from September 2011 – Sept 12 , I signed off when I started the course and haven’t had a penny to my name since. Do I meet the requirements and if so can I still apply at this stage of the year if I cancel my grant application and If I can will I lose out on the the money I should of been getting since September or will it be backdated??

I'm off the dole since I started in September and I’m flat broke, I'm on my final attendance warning before I'm asked to leave the course, I can't afford to make the commute each day, I desperately need some advice.

Advertisement