Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of dropping out and starting a new course next year

Options
  • 27-11-2012 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi guys, hope you can answer my questions. I've started a 3rd level degree course in September. I'm just not enjoying it and I find the material somewhat overwhelming. I choose this particular course as I enjoyed the subjects in leaving cert and did well in my LC results. Principally, I don't feel that I'm able to apply myself to this course and I feel I should nip it in the bud before I get too invested in it. And yes, I know I should have thought of this before I gave it my number one on the CAO :)

I am meeting with my tutor early next week to discuss the course, but I would like to ask some general financial questions as my parents will not be in a position to help out if I fail to complete the course. Basicially, if I drop out now before Christmas and re-apply on the CAO next year what costs will I have to pay to return to college?

1. I qualify for the maintenance grant (not yet received, btw). Is it too late to cancel my application for this as I have not yet recieved it? Will I be eligible to re-apply next year if I start a different degree course?

2. Regarding free fees, will I be liable to pay my first year fees again? If so, will this be a full year's cost or the cost of that one semester I fail to complete?

Would appreciate feedback if anyone has been in a similar situation. Thanks very much.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

This is what happened me:

This is my third time in college.

Course 1 2004 to 2005 and left after the first year

Course 2 2007 to 2009 and left, paid fees for the 1st year

Course 3 2011 to date, paid fees for the 1st year and 2nd year

AFAIK if you leave before the 2nd semester starts (ie before christmas) you only have to pay half fees next year. Check it out.

Advertisement