Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilmartin Educational Services

Options
  • 26-11-2012 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey guys just signed up anyone have any idea what the study facilities are like in Kilmartins on mallow street? My son wants to do christmas study there but i've heard mixed reviews and before I part with 80 euro I want to get peoples opinions. What do ye think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Great study facilities! Plenty of rooms! Can get busy at times but a good study environment!

Spent one of the best years of my life in Julie's!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

When I did my leaving nearly everybody went, I think it was a more a social thing than anything else...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭touts

Don't know much about KES. Years ago when they were down in the old town hall they were a bit hit and miss because they paid teachers poorly so it was mainly young teachers starting out who were doing it. Now that it seems to be a more full time permanent setup then it may have improved significantly (I would say it must have as otherwise they would have gone the way of Bruce years ago).

However Christmas (and Easter) study in any of these places is really about the notes long term and the social aspect short term. They aren't exactly a free for all and there are classes but it is a different environment and a bit of craic. If it is your son's Leaving Cert year it depends what he wants to go for. If he is stressed out about the exam and doesn't think he can take 2 weeks off I would say don't send him. He needs to relax and recharge over the 2 weeks. If he is going because his friends are then I would say send him. He needs the social interaction and come March/April the notes will be useful. I would see the 2 weeks as a last chance to relax and enjoy life before a very tough 7 months. If that is best at KES or at home depends on your son.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

at the 80e I'm guessing its just the study facility he wants and not the revision classes, then I'd recommend it. study at home doesn't always work out, and it didn't for my kids cos of distractions, phone calls, etc (even a quiet house can have loads of distractions). Classrooms are supervised, bright and airy. can be a bit of traffic noise but you going to get that anywhere. there is the social side to it cos there are regular breaks (about every hour or 90 mins) but that's what you need too, the students generally descend on Gleeson's Spar or similiar places and chill for a while before next session. Unfortunately, the libraries don't have great opening hours or alot of space, LIT used to allow secondary students to study but that has stopped and UL is closed to them too. If he is booked in and he doesn't turn up, they'll text you that he is missing a session.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ritamacLK

thanks very much for feedback you guys

• Advertisement
Advertisement