Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IATI exams while resitting tax elective

Options
  • 26-11-2012 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

I got my FAE results last week and got core but have to resit tax. I do enjoy tax and think I am reasonably good at it. I had convinced myself I had failed core so had pretty much given up by the time I sat the elective exam and struggled to identify the indicators.

I work in practice in a small firm so do a bit of audit and some tax. I am wondering about doing the IATI exams but not sure if it would be too much pressure in one year as well as resitting the elective.

Does anyone have any advice on whether it would be worthwhile or am I mad to be thinking about more exams?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 lar05

bluebell27 wrote: »
    I got my FAE results last week and got core but have to resit tax. I do enjoy tax and think I am reasonably good at it. I had convinced myself I had failed core so had pretty much given up by the time I sat the elective exam and struggled to identify the indicators.

I work in practice in a small firm so do a bit of audit and some tax. I am wondering about doing the IATI exams but not sure if it would be too much pressure in one year as well as resitting the elective.

Does anyone have any advice on whether it would be worthwhile or am I mad to be thinking about more exams?

wow, i am in exactly the same position as u!! I passed core and failed tax elective and will be repeating. today i have been reading up about the Part 11 IATI exams aswel and was considering doing the winter course. It started in October so im worried that joining now i would already be on the backfoot, we have missed a good few lectures already and there is an assignment in for January which counts towards the end results (i think, would need to recheck). It would be advantageous to be studying a tax course that would help us directly with the elective. what u thinking? the summer exams in the IATI are at the same time as the elective as far as i can see, so i think the only option is the winter course which has already began

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I know that once you get your FAEs you are exempt from Part 1 of the IATI exams. Does this count if you failed the elective on tax. After all there is no point doing IATI part 1s and Tax electives. If you need the tax elective before you get your part 2 exemption then you should obviously wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭bluebell27

It does seem that we would have missed a fair bit of the course already. The professional skills workshops seem to be mandatory and the latest one I can see is this Sunday. I haven't sent off for a certified statement of results from the Institute yet so don't think could register by Friday even if I made a final decision before then.

Having the tax elective doesn't seem to change what you are exempt from. It seems to be you are exempt from all of Part 1 when you have completed CAP2s and there don't seem to be extra exemptions for passing FAE.

I sent the AITI an e-mail with some queries so will see what they say back but seems like might have left it to late for this year. Should have thought about it more before FAE results!

It does seem that we would have missed a fair bit of the course already. The professional skills workshops seem to be mandatory and the latest one I can see is this Sunday. I haven't sent off for a certified statement of results from the Institute yet so don't think could register by Friday even if I made a final decision before then.

Having the tax elective doesn't seem to change what you are exempt from. It seems to be you are exempt from all of Part 1 when you have completed CAP2s and there don't seem to be extra exemptions for passing FAE.

I sent the AITI an e-mail with some queries so will see what they say back but seems like might have left it to late for this year. Should have thought about it more before FAE results!

Well you didnt know you were just gona fail the elective so you would never have thought about this. I rang the AITI, u can still sign up and all the lectures thus far are online so u can study them there and catch up aswel as we have a grounding in the work done from our elective work. You are exempt from Part 1 as we have the CAP11, and I presume we could send in our results from the FAE to show we are past the CAP11 section (i didnt ask them that part, sorry). Im gona ring my friend who did the tax exams straight after the FAE to see what he says. I think doing the Part11 will be great help for the elective next year aswel as working towards completing another qualification which I think will benefit my CV a lot as my failures in the ACA is working against me for the future.

Also u would need to register by tomorrow to have it in by Friday, ring and ask them is the FAE results enough confirmation, even just for now. Im sure it is. My only worry is starting the course late, i dont want to start another set of exams off on the backfoot, like with the ACAs, if im doing these i want to make sure I pass first time. Im not working now though so i think i could make up what im behind in.

• Advertisement

lar05 wrote: »

Also u would need to register by tomorrow to have it in by Friday, ring and ask them is the FAE results enough confirmation, even just for now. Im sure it is. My only worry is starting the course late, i dont want to start another set of exams off on the backfoot, like with the ACAs, if im doing these i want to make sure I pass first time. Im not working now though so i think i could make up what im behind in.

I spoke to my manager and he thinks it is a good idea. Leaning towards doing them now that I know can catch up with lectures online. Is Friday the final deadline even if you are prepared to pay the late fee? I'm not back in the office until Monday so would be hard to be organised by then.

I spoke to my manager and he thinks it is a good idea. Leaning towards doing them now that I know can catch up with lectures online. Is Friday the final deadline even if you are prepared to pay the late fee? I'm not back in the office until Monday so would be hard to be organised by then.

i had a long chat with my mate about it last night and he said it would be worth doing, the Part 2 he said were difficult and they are technical but if u work hard u should be fine, like any exams i suppose. And they will definitely help with the elective, will keep u learning and mind on tax. yea it says the 30th is the deadline but usually allowances are made (especially since they are getting a an extra €1700 course fee). Ring them if u have the time to see. Im going to decide today and register. I will let u know then

I have signed up. First lecture on Sunday. Eeek!

I have signed up. First lecture on Sunday. Eeek!

Yep same as me!! I hope I can prepare for sunday a bit over the next few days or else i wont have a clue!! straight back into the work for us, ha..it never ends!!

Gosh fair play to you doing preparation. I am going to a wedding tomorrow so won't have time to think about it until Sunday.I'll be the one looking a bit lost!

• Advertisement

Gosh fair play to you doing preparation. I am going to a wedding tomorrow so won't have time to think about it until Sunday.I'll be the one looking a bit lost!

well im not working at the moment, so i have plenty of time and dont want to make the same mistakes as before. Im going for top of the class :p

That makes sense-aim high!
    I will know to come on here with questions if i get stuck when i do get round to studying.

That makes sense-aim high!
    I will know to come on here with questions if i get stuck when i do get round to studying.

Hi, did u go to the class on Sunday, i didnt go. How was it?

I did go. The workshop in the morning was really interesting. The afternoon lecture was good too though it was hard to follow since I don't have my books yet. Will be better next weekend when I have them. Most of the things we were doing were things I had seen before from CAP 2.

Hi, how are you getting on with the home assignment, was just wondering did you use much case law in the research area, i cant see what areas of the question I can apply case law to? i know its a bit late and u might not see this

I didn't come across many cases either though haven't finished the assignment yet. Hoping to finish at lunchtime today so can get it done without being too rushed. Should have made more time for it over Christmas!

Advertisement