Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student loan - excessive?

Options
  • 26-11-2012 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi,

Just a query about student loans.

I have never gotten a loan before. May go to do a doctorate in the next couple of years. I reckon it will cost appox 38000 euro in total.

First of all, I am wondering if this is an excessive loan amount? Job opportunities are reasonable and its something I have wanted to do for a while.

Secondly, is it possible to get this amount and start paying it back in three years time after the course ends?

Would love people's opinions on this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Elvis_Presley

If employment opportunities in your area are reasonable, then sourcing funding should be possible. If you have no funding at all 38k won't cover you - 3 year's fee, living costs, expenses such as computer, conferences or other equipment depending on the area. Doing a PhD is tough enough whilst earning - if I didn't have enough for a few beers at the end of the week and the occasional holiday, I'd go mental! Maybe not what you want to hear.

Advertisement