Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle Fire (Euro 122) Amazon

Options

Comments

Hi,

I wanted to get a Kindle Fire for a christmas present. Amazon currently has it at 99 pounds in some post-black friday deal. Is this a reasonable offer? Or should I wait till after the Christmas season and get it in the sales?

:D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0083Q04M2/ref=swm_bfd_grphc?pf_rd_p=346860487&pf_rd_s=nav-sitewide-msg&pf_rd_t=4201&pf_rd_i=navbar-4201&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0MXVRBMHGCZJA1YAHCPG

They don't ship kindles (yet) due to licensing rights or some other rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

Use Parcel Motel to get it shipped

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

For Ireland you need to buy Kindle from Amazon.com but the KIndle fire was not available here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

How locked down are these devices? What limited functionality should i expect? Is it a simple matter of rooting it to turn it into a proper android tablet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

It was only refreshed a few months ago and it's not likely to to be much lower than 99 pounds for a long time. It's easily rootable. I think there was some issues with the Fire only letting you buy apps from Amazon's curated Android app store with a UK credit card. I can't imagine why you wouldn't not want to be using the regular store, though, especially if you've already bought apps for another device.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭freebee23

Hi,

I wanted to get a Kindle Fire for a christmas present. Amazon currently has it at 99 pounds in some post-black friday deal. Is this a reasonable offer? Or should I wait till after the Christmas season and get it in the sales?

:D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0083Q04M2/ref=swm_bfd_grphc?pf_rd_p=346860487&pf_rd_s=nav-sitewide-msg&pf_rd_t=4201&pf_rd_i=navbar-4201&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0MXVRBMHGCZJA1YAHCPG

Showing as £129.00 at present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

You can buy in carphonewarehouse or pcworld/currys up north for same price

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

freebee23 wrote: »
    Showing as £129.00 at present.

yeah, 26th november was the last day of the 99 offer, so you missed it by 1 hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

You can buy in carphonewarehouse or pcworld/currys up north for same price

Currys pc world have it back up to 129 on their sites, also curry have the cases back up to £20 from £5 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

The Kindles won't be reduced in the sales anyway, the Kindle just went down in price from last Xmas a couple of months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Use Parcel Motel to get it shipped

Did anyone get that to work with the Kindle though?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭aoife34

I got the kindle delivered this morning via parcel motel... in work now, so have to wait till i get home to play around with it...

I don't have a good feeling :(

aoife34 wrote: »
    I got the kindle delivered this morning via parcel motel... in work now, so have to wait till i get home to play around with it...

I don't have a good feeling :(

:confused:

I think I jumped on the kindle bandwagon too fast... from reading other reviews, I don't think I will be able to gets apps or games, will I even be able to get books using a ROI card?

I think I jumped on the kindle bandwagon too fast... from reading other reviews, I don't think I will be able to gets apps or games, will I even be able to get books using a ROI card?

It's easily rootable to the true Android OS (CyanogenMod being a very good option) and that gives you access to the Google Play store. You'll have absolutely no trouble doing any of the above once you do that. The OS on the Kindle Fire is just a heavily modified version of Android to begin with.

Just Google Kindle Fire root and you'll be flooded with tutorials on how to do it.

Cool, I'll give it a shot... I got this as a gift, I'll be sticking with my iPad much easier to manage :) (although a lot dearer)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭pbergin

I bought a fire hd as a present. I didnt think there would be any problems using it in roi.
    Does anyone have a fire or fire hd? Is it working properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

pbergin wrote: »
    I bought a fire hd as a present. I didnt think there would be any problems using it in roi.
    Does anyone have a fire or fire hd? Is it working properly?

i researched this for my niece's santa present and decided to go ahead and ordered it via parcel motel.

From my research it seems you can still buy kindle books and browse the internet on it as you would any other tablet it is only the appstore that won't work in ireland as you need a UK credit card and billing address for that to work.

However you can use a different appstore to get apps on it while still keepting the amazon software. there's a tutorial on how to do that here http://liliputing.com/2011/11/how-to-sideload-apps-even-the-android-market-on-the-amazon-kindle-fire.html

I think we will set my niece up with getJar appstore as all these apps are free.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

sure I'll give you €20 for it :pac: ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

If I remember correctly if you buy a gift voucher from amazon.com in dollars you can get the apps/books etc . That's what I did for the mrs last year having bought a kindle in the uk ,reason being was the us books were a lot less expensive.
    I stand to be corrected but there was a post on here 12 months ago advising this route

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Are you not able to log onto the American Amazon site with your .co.uk passwork and buy/download apps/books direct from that? I've a Kindle desktop app, I down load Kindle books from the US website onto that that are not available on the UK version to non-UK residents all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Are you not able to log onto the American Amazon site with your .co.uk passwork and buy/download apps/books direct from that? I've a Kindle desktop app, I down load Kindle books from the US website onto that that are not available on the UK version to non-UK residents all the time.

To buy apps from the American store you need a us cc and an American billing address. You can sign up to it using fake details and still get the free apps but you can't buy apps without real info.

Right, so I hooked it all up and all I can do is get books and use the web, all the other features do not work as my credit card is registered to my roi address. Paid 134 euro for it, so not bad considering its 120 for the kindle touch. Hopefully amazon will release the rest early next year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

I would love to get one of these and get the skylanders cloud patrol app for my son, It's a Kindle fire and Apple exclusive, I would have to root the tablet but does anyone know if I could get a friend in the UK to pay for the app for me with her card would it work over here or would it stop working due to my IP address?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MB05

Would a sterling prepay credit card work to buy the apps? You know the one's you can get here in the likes of the Spar etc when you don't have a credit card but need to buy things online.

When I was toying between the Nexus and Kindle Fire HD I thought buying one of these types of credit card either in the North or online might get me around that issue.

I went for the Nexus in the end for handiness sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Murphisto

I'm living here in Ireland and bought a Kindle Fire HD in London last week. When I got home I logged on to Amazon and added a fake credit card number and a random UK address and am now able to download all the free apps from the amazon app store. So restrictions aren't based on your IP address, just on the billing address of your credit card.
    I think if you add an amazon gift card to the account you should be able to get paid apps but I haven't tried this yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

The Kindle Fire is £99 in Argos.co.uk today if you can get it. Does Parcel Motel work with Argos?

My own preference is the Sammy Galaxy Tab 2.0 7" but someone may be looking for one of these.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8140481.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

looking to get the Kindle Fire HD 32GB as a xmas pressie. Can anyone tell me whats best way to order it? I heard there is some crowd up north who will post to your address or Parcel Motel?

also know someone in the states at the min that might be able to pick one up for me...any difference between buying in USA or UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DanTheCorkMan

Kindle Fire is now working in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭long_b

So many things wrong ...

Advertisement