Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8 "This app can't run on your PC"

Options
  • 26-11-2012 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am trying to install/load an original disc from Lotus on my laptop.
    I have upgraded from Vista. The disc is old but was working fine.
    I had this running fine, but now I cant get it to install using Windows 8.
    The message I keep getting is " This app can't run on your PC".

I am new to this Windows 8, can anyone help/advise.
    I'm not trying to run an app, I'm trying to load a disc ??

Thanks

jay

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Jay Dee wrote: »
    Hi,

I am trying to install/load an original disc from Lotus on my laptop.
    I have upgraded from Vista. The disc is old but was working fine.
    I had this running fine, but now I cant get it to install using Windows 8.
    The message I keep getting is " This app can't run on your PC".

I am new to this Windows 8, can anyone help/advise.
    I'm not trying to run an app, I'm trying to load a disc ??

Thanks

jay

It sounds like there's an autorun function on the disk that is called when you try to open the disk. Try going into the desktop (open the tile screen, then press Windows + D), opening the Explorer window (Windows key + E), then right-clicking your optical drive and selecting "open" from the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

You dont state if you previously had the program/app working under Vista

If it wont work under Vista, it wont work on W8..

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Jay Dee

Hi,

Fysh :- Tried all that and thats where I get the " This app......" message.

It was working perfectly under Vista.
    Thats what I find strange ??

Thanks

jay

• Registered Users Posts: 81,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

How old is this piece of software?

hi,

Its 12-14 years old, from the late 1990's.
    It was working up to last week, so its age should not be against it ??

Thanks

Jay

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

what was it working on ?

if all else fails you can run it in a VM, if you have a business license or a transferrable windows license for an older version of windows, and a lot of time to set it up

are you trying to read a document on the disk - and if so what type ?

Hi,

Lotus is a programme similar to Microsoft Works.
    It has spreadsheet/worksheet format.

I have files on a stick, but to activate them I have to load Lotus.
    This worked before with Vista.

Thanks

jay

How did you install windows 8? The upgrade advisor should have caught this as an issue.

Unless there is a compelling reason to keep such old legacy software I would recommend ms office, open office or libre office. If you do need lotus, you can use the hyper-v functionality built into windows 8 pro to run a virtual client if windows vista or whatever other version of windows you have licensed and spare

Hi,

Windows 8 was installed for me, I don't know about any alert.

The only reason I am interested in it is, my accounts and corresponding letters and invoices are all in this format.

Thanks

jay

Jay Dee wrote: »
    Hi,

Windows 8 was installed for me, I don't know about any alert.

The only reason I am interested in it is, my accounts and corresponding letters and invoices are all in this format.

Thanks

jay
    I would get with whomever installed it then, because the installer does a crosscheck and part of that should have left Lotus right at the top of the priority list telling [the user] it was going to be incompatible with Windows 8 or would cause issues.

Although another problem could be the case too. One video game I tried required a missing .dll file that kept failing to validate in Windows 8, but once corrected worked fine.

The simplest solution though, since you don't have thousands of nerd-raging gamers out there crowdsourcing the problem for you like I did with Planetside2, for a piece of 14 year old software, is to install/enable Hyper-V. If you search (Windows+Q) and "Hyper" doesn't pull up hyper-v (And assuming you are running Windows 8 Pro, not Core), you need to enable it first:

-(Win+Q) "Control Panel"
    -Programs (Green-Title Link)
    -Turn Windows Features On/Off
    -Check Box for Hyper-V
    -Apply Changes and Reboot

Avoid the temptation to un-check the feature entitled "Internet Explorer 10". It's a cantankerous piece of rubbish but not worth the hassle of expunging, much like an elderly relative.

• Advertisement
Advertisement