Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unicorn Hotel

Options
  • 26-11-2012 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

I'm curious does anyone know who is building the new Unicorn extension?

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Is there any real need for a hotel there in fairness? Seems like a money losing idea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Ridiculous idea to build a hotel at that side of town. closed within a year id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

There is a big hospital across the road. This hotel will do very well from outpatients who want to stay close by as well as family of inpatients. This is a non seasonal customer base too. A very good location for a small hotel in my opinion.

Not when the South Court is just as close for families to stay and is closer to the motorway too, and can hold rather large events/functions.

Its a bit of a Punches Hotel to be fair. The only other benefit could be close to the Crescent.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Goofy wrote: »
    There is a big hospital across the road. This hotel will do very well from outpatients who want to stay close by as well as family of inpatients. This is a non seasonal customer base too. A very good location for a small hotel in my opinion.

Could also compete for the Raheen Industrial estate business as well as the CC shopping centre business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

I think its a great idea, the green family know what they are doing, plus a few more jobs in Limerick, its all good news putting a hotel there.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Sully777

Mc Love wrote: »
    Not when the South Court is just as close for families to stay and is closer to the motorway too, and can hold rather large events/functions.

Its a bit of a Punches Hotel to be fair. The only other benefit could be close to the Crescent.

And the 2 hotels you quoted were owned by 2 different families who hadn't a clue about the hotel business. The Greenes have a long record in business and will do very well I believe because of the hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

As long as Mr Greene learns how to pronounce "tonno" as "tonno" and not "tone-oh", then correct one of the punters on their pronounciation......

Sully777 wrote: »
    And the 2 hotels you quoted were owned by 2 different families who hadn't a clue about the hotel business. The Greenes have a long record in business and will do very well I believe because of the hospital.

But the hotels are still going I believe, ah sure it I suppose it is a bit of competition for the SC although I wouldnt expect much seeing as the SC is on the doorstep of the industrial estate.

Look at the Plassey - most companies put staff up in Kilmurray because its closer than the Castletroy Park/Travelodge whether its cheaper or not I'm not sure, but it is definitely closer. The same will probably be said for SC. Whether the UH can offer cheaper accomodation is the question, because I would think the SC will have more rooms and probably be in a better position to offer cheaper rooms.

That being said it is that bit closer to the hospital - which may swing a few customers there way. I still think its not a great idea but good on the job front no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

Mc Love wrote: »

The unicorn is directly across the road from the hospital while the Southcourt is about a 15 walk. If you stay in the unicorn there is no need to shell our for parking in the hospital.

It doesnt seem that the Unicorn is even aiming at the big function business. And it doesnt need to either. It already has a good pub/restaurant business and the hotel should just add to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Firstly I don't know where they plan on even building a hotel on the site but good luck to them if they do. They WILL do well with hospital trade. I do a lot of business with a guy with a small guesthouse across from UCHG who has pub grub as well. He cannot gauge his business because people don't book in advance. People book at a moments notice usually for a procedure the next day or to relax overnight after a procedure. Others are families of somebody who is in a long time.

I have personal experience of this and making last minute bookings in Galway and Dublin. I always wanted to be a hospital salesman(selling drugs or equipment) because like taxes people will ALWAYS be ill so you will always be in business and the same goes for The Unicorn.

I don't rate the Southcourt, never have and never will and Punches is too far.

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Firstly I don't know where they plan on even building a hotel on the site but good luck to them if they do. They WILL do well with hospital trade. I do a lot of business with a guy with a small guesthouse across from UCHG who has pub grub as well. He cannot gauge his business because people don't book in advance. People book at a moments notice usually for a procedure the next day or to relax overnight after a procedure. Others are families of somebody who is in a long time.

I have personal experience of this and making last minute bookings in Galway and Dublin. I always wanted to be a hospital salesman(selling drugs or equipment) because like taxes people will ALWAYS be ill so you will always be in business and the same goes for The Unicorn.

I don't rate the Southcourt, never have and never will and Punches is too far.

The site that is currently being knocked/worked on is not that small. Build up a few stories (and possibly go down a level for parking) and a small 25 to 40 bedroom hotel would easily fit there.

If one looks at Punches hotel, and removes the pub/bar/lounge bits, then that is not a massive building yet it is still a 70+ room hotel so something half that size( and half the capacity) would fit alongside the Unicorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Pretty much overlook, in a serious way, all the houses out the back of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭flutered

has anyone use the sc dining room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

That road system outside Dooradoyle with the schools/CU/Chemist and the pub will be hard pressed to deal with another entrance/exit put onto it. Would like to see the plans they have in mind to deal with it :eek:

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Pretty much overlook, in a serious way, all the houses out the back of it.

Think that was a big part of the objections the locals made.

Advertisement