Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon - James Bond - 22 Film Collection [Blu-ray] [1962] NOW £75.00 !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

They are clearing this out because a new 23 Film Collection is on it's way to include the new movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭KMFCross

I saw something in the newspapers over the weekend about this boxset on sale in HMV for €49.99. Might be worth checking with HMV first.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

KMFCross wrote: »
    I saw something in the newspapers over the weekend about this boxset on sale in HMV for €49.99. Might be worth checking with HMV first.

£99 on the UK website anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,834 ✭✭✭✭Basq

That's DVD..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,208 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Beer Baron wrote: »
    They are clearing this out because a new 23 Film Collection is on it's way to include the new movie.

There's an extra space at the back of this collection to add Skyfall when it is released next year AFAIK.

If it's true about them bringing out an entirely new set then this one will probably go down even more. Think I'll wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭KMFCross

Basq wrote: »
    That's DVD..

Yeah sorry missed the Blu-Ray in the OP's post

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Yeah sorry missed the Blu-Ray in the OP's post

So it's a 100% premium just for Blu-Ray? That's crazy. I'd never pay extra for the same content on a different format.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Haven't seen many Blu-Ray films, still in the stone age here with my DVD player so would wonder how films like this, which were shot decades ago & are now being upscaled (think that's the right word) to Blu-Ray would compare in terms of quality to modern stuff that's shot with Blu-Ray in mind. Would there be much visual difference between the converted Blu-Ray footage & the original from the 60s/70s? Enough to justify the premium?

Regardless of the quality in the long term the price ALWAYS ends up matching the price of the same content on the old format. This happened with vinyl and CDs, with VHS and DVDs ... happens every time.

Not sure about that. New vinyl is generally more expensive than the CD version these days. Anyway, my question was more about the visual quality of converted Blu-Rays. Even if you don't believe in paying a premium for the new format would someone who was prepared to stump up the extra cash notice much of a difference in this case?

• Advertisement

Exactly the same thing was used to justify the huge premium been charged for DVDs when they first came out ... better visual quality.

I'd definitely notice a difference in quality between VHS & DVD, not sure the huge difference in original prices was justified but it was definitely there. Regardless of whether you agree with the level of premium being charged, are Blu-Rays significantly better in the case of old films converted to the new digital format?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,834 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The original format in which movies are filmed in is essentially downscaled for all media formats - from LaserDisc, VHS and even DVD.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ptorr/archive/2007/09/26/why-old-films-still-benefit-from-high-def.aspx

Doesn't matter whether the movie is 60 years old versus a recent release - it's still essentially being downscaled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

Custardpi wrote: »
    Haven't seen many Blu-Ray films, still in the stone age here with my DVD player so would wonder how films like this, which were shot decades ago & are now being upscaled (think that's the right word) to Blu-Ray would compare in terms of quality to modern stuff that's shot with Blu-Ray in mind. Would there be much visual difference between the converted Blu-Ray footage & the original from the 60s/70s? Enough to justify the premium?

film is already better resolution than blu ray offers so there is potentially no difference between a transfer of an old movie and a new one, depending on how well the old master has been preserved, the resolution it was scanned at and/or the care put into restoring it. there are movies from the 60s and 70s which look better than new ones.

as far as prices go you can always just wait it out, they tend to drop down to 7 or 8 euro in deals given enough time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    There's an extra space at the back of this collection to add Skyfall when it is released next year AFAIK.

If it's true about them bringing out an entirely new set then this one will probably go down even more. Think I'll wait.

Further down on the description on the product:

Book 2
    Page 6 - [Empty disc holder for 'Skyfall'] & 'Bonus disc'

I've been wanting to get this for someone for ages & they wont mind if they get it now :)
    It probably wont be out for a good while if there's an extra disc holder, but that's probably the best price it's been, of course knowing my luck it'll probably be £60 next week :p

Advertisement