Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Badminton racquet? What to look for?

Options
  • 25-11-2012 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to buy a new badminton racquet. The current one I have was one I picked up in Elverys when I joined the club. Not saying I'm fantastic now by any means [I'm playing in Div 7] but I would like to buy a new racquet.

Nothing too expensive [until I'm sure I'm going to stick with it!] but would definitely like an advancement on my current one. With so many to choose from and varying prices [just looked at http://www.sportsdirect.com/Badminton/Badminton-Rackets] - what would ye suggest?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭g0g

I'm looking to buy a new badminton racquet. The current one I have was one I picked up in Elverys when I joined the club. Not saying I'm fantastic now by any means [I'm playing in Div 7] but I would like to buy a new racquet.

Nothing too expensive [until I'm sure I'm going to stick with it!] but would definitely like an advancement on my current one. With so many to choose from and varying prices [just looked at http://www.sportsdirect.com/Badminton/Badminton-Rackets] - what would ye suggest?

Thanks.
    Looking at a couple of racquets on there that I'd know the price of, even the reduced prices seem above the odds. To be honest nothing really beats going into a shop and getting a feel for them. The shop in Baldoyle or Whitehall (both Dublin-based I know) have good selections and you can get advice or hold them. You might not think it makes a different, but it's useful to figure whether you're looking for a stiff or flex racquet - this depends (I think) on the speed of your swing and style of play - i.e. do you like to wallop the shuttle a lot or play a more tactical game. Also I think if you play more singles you should consider that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

It's all doubles I play.

I prefer more tactical shots - would like to wallop it but don't seem to have the strength/skill?

I suppose I just wanted to have an idea of WHAT to look for before I bought any. Are they all about 90-95g? What makes one racquet better than another? Are Yonex the best brand? The one I have is 'Head'.

It's all doubles I play.

I prefer more tactical shots - would like to wallop it but don't seem to have the strength/skill?

I suppose I just wanted to have an idea of WHAT to look for before I bought any. Are they all about 90-95g? What makes one racquet better than another? Are Yonex the best brand? The one I have is 'Head'.
    I'm no expert on this but think a flex shaft racquet more suited if you're not a hard-hitter. As for brand, it's all really about preference. Yeah Yonex have the name now, but when I started playing I remember everyone wanting Carltons. It's all about preference really. I played with Head racquets (Metallix 6000) the past few seasons and loved them, but since then moved to another brand. The important thing is that you like the "feel" of the racquet yourself and get a grip you're comfortable with. I wouldn't be worrying about weight of the thing. My current one I think is 88g but that's just coincidental, not something I thought much about!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

It's all doubles I play.

have a look at the yonex nano speed range for light rackets, there are some cheap ones..

be careful if you are buying on EBay, there are alot of shít quality fakes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

Thanks to everyone for the replied. I may go searching! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭galway1985

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

in general you pay for what you get. In the case of yonex they are a bit more expensive than alot of the other makes, but i think they are better. I spent over 100 quid on a yonex arcsaber 10 about 4 years ago and its still serving me well.

I think its worth the money in the long term.

for a beginners racket, 40/50 quid will get you a decent on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I borrowed a freinds yonex nanospeed 100 racket that cost him 20quid new and I was surprised with how good and how muchl I liked the racket. you wont go wrong with any yonex racket.

I had a nanospeed 7000 myself and liked it but decided to get rid of it and im waiting on 2 arcsaber 008 rackets to arrive from direct sports.

What will make a huge different to any racket is get rid of the crap factory strings straight away and pay the 15-20 quid to have it restrung properly to 22-26 depending on your playing style.

Dont buy off ebay though, 90% are fakes

garv123 wrote: »
    Dont buy off ebay though, 90% are fakes

Ah now I'd say that's a fair bit off the mark - where'd you get that figure? Made up? I've bought all my recent racquets online (quite a few via eBay) and had no problems. Like with anything else you just have to be careful. Some were Head and some were a foreign brand with no issues at all. Prices in Irish shops are so high I'm happier to buy online. I'll still give my business locally for re-stringing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

g0g wrote: »
    Ah now I'd say that's a fair bit off the mark - where'd you get that figure? Made up? I've bought all my recent racquets online (quite a few via eBay) and had no problems. Like with anything else you just have to be careful. Some were Head and some were a foreign brand with no issues at all. Prices in Irish shops are so high I'm happier to buy online. I'll still give my business locally for re-stringing.

Well the majority of the yonex rackets are fake so. Its pretty hard to tell a fake one from a real one until you restring it up to 26 or so and the frame pulls itself apart
    The yonex ones will have the serial number on the handle engraved with numbers and letters, the fake ones might not be engraved or will have no letters.

I buy my rackets online too and at least you know what you are buying of the likes of direct sports. Ebay will tell you its genuine but they are not always.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭galway1985

Advertisement