Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mullingar Hospital....help

Options
  • 25-11-2012 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi I am wondering if anyone can help advise me.

I am 29 weeks pregnant and attending mullingar hospital but I dont feel happy, I feel I havent been given any information unless info on breastfeeding.
    I have recieved a dating scan, I know mullingar dont do the anomoly so we went private to the Rotunda for that. I have a lot of health issues in the past non related to the pregnancy.
    I went for my 28 week appointment on thur they checked urine, blood pressure, weight and thats it...listened to heart beat by consultant...no measurements, no bloods, no feeling for position of baby...
    I have gone public and this is my first baby, I just dont think this is what to expect, other people have told me they knew the position and size of baby at 28 weeks...I KNOW NOTHING....I am just do upset and dont know what to expect...please can anyone help advise me of what I should expect in mullingar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

lizabbey7 wrote: »
    Hi I am wondering if anyone can help advise me.

I am 29 weeks pregnant and attending mullingar hospital but I dont feel happy, I feel I havent been given any information unless info on breastfeeding.
    I have recieved a dating scan, I know mullingar dont do the anomoly so we went private to the Rotunda for that. I have a lot of health issues in the past non related to the pregnancy.
    I went for my 28 week appointment on thur they checked urine, blood pressure, weight and thats it...listened to heart beat by consultant...no measurements, no bloods, no feeling for position of baby...
    I have gone public and this is my first baby, I just dont think this is what to expect, other people have told me they knew the position and size of baby at 28 weeks...I KNOW NOTHING....I am just do upset and dont know what to expect...please can anyone help advise me of what I should expect in mullingar
    Urine, blood pressure, weight, that's all they do at any appointment unless you are due a scan! I was lucky enough that I got a few scans but some hospitals only do two overall. Try not to worry, there's usually no talk about babys position until maybe 32weeks+,then that is all you will hear :) and it's fun also trying to figure out what way baby is lying by what is poking you :) if everything is showing up fine on urine and BP,they are obviously happy with how you are going.
    All that said, if you are still not happy, is there any other hospital close?
    I've recently had my first baby too!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭mel1

Gee_G wrote: »
    Urine, blood pressure, weight, that's all they do at any appointment unless you are due a scan! I was lucky enough that I got a few scans but some hospitals only do two overall. Try not to worry, there's usually no talk about babys position until maybe 32weeks+,then that is all you will hear :) and it's fun also trying to figure out what way baby is lying by what is poking you :) if everything is showing up fine on urine and BP,they are obviously happy with how you are going.
    All that said, if you are still not happy, is there any other hospital close?
    I've recently had my first baby too!

Hi I'm 35 weeks and go to mullingar. I too have had no scan since my second visit. Have bloods done regular as I have a blood issue but I am confident in the staff as this is my third baby in mullingar. I don't know the position of baby either. It's not an issue for a while I don't think. If your not happy as its your first I would advise stating so at your next visit. Although I did find one particular doctor over there to be a proper pig.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭lizabbey7

at what stage did you get your 2nd scan??? Friends of mine are telling me of their experience in their hospital and its completely different to mine...I suppose because I have spent so much time in hospital with other issues and was well informed of what to expect I just feel lost now, I have been in for 2 appointments now and got the same nurse who doesn't usually work in that area, she told me that the last time, I just dont understand why going public in different hospitals you recieve different treatments...sorry I just need a rant

at what stage did you get your 2nd scan??? Friends of mine are telling me of their experience in their hospital and its completely different to mine...I suppose because I have spent so much time in hospital with other issues and was well informed of what to expect I just feel lost now, I have been in for 2 appointments now and got the same nurse who doesn't usually work in that area, she told me that the last time, I just dont understand why going public in different hospitals you recieve different treatments...sorry I just need a rant
    Rant away :)
    I was the same, I had beeng in hospital for a couple of different procedures and when I was pregnant I was under the same doctor. If there is no sign of them doing a scan the next time you are with your consultant, ask for one! I got my first one at 13 weeks, second one at about 17weeks, I think. Then I got one at 32/33 weeks, it wasn't an anomoly scan as such but they do all measurements etc. I went to Cavan hospital but friends of mine went to Sligo and one of them only had one scan! Different hospitals have different procedures!
    But seriously, if you are unhappy, or you would feel it would stop you worrying if you had another scan, say it to your doctors. The rest of the pregnancy should be excitement, getting ready for baby,not worrying about your hospital appointments x

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭mel1

I had a 12 week scan and another one at about 20 weeks, i think i may only have had 2 because i had a previous miscarrage and an eptopic pregnancy. i will admit to being a bit dissappointed at my last couple of appointments to not havin a scan espically at my last one at 35 weeks. i will be asking the nurse to make sure i am sent into the scan room next time though! i will be 37 week and want to know what way the baby i lying. like i said i had other issues at my last appointment which were more important. I wouldnt worry too much as if they felt the need they would be sure to do anothher scan, most hospitals only do 2, one at the start and one at the end.

• Advertisement

thanks Ladies...I suppose I have spent so much time in hospital with a previous illness but I have always known what to expect that this is so new I dont know what is ok and what is not...and it doesnt help not getting sleep so I am a wreck anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭intothewest

I think a lot of places only do one scan. For both of mine I'd only have had one, only for both at about 34/35 weeks I was given a growth scan as they felt they were small (turns out it's just the way I carry), but scan showed they were std size for that stage. I ended up having my second in Mullingar as I went early and we were visiting family for Christmas, and found them brilliant in there..but I wasn't there for the check up's so maybe that's different. My feeling is that they do just the basics unless there are reasons to do any other tests...so take it as a good sign you don't need any other prodding and poking at you. As for baby position, it's still early days and lots of time for it to somersault around, so they wouldn't be focusing on that right now...sit back and relax, the last stretch entails lots more appt's between the hosp and GP. And don't be afraid to ask questions..it's up to you to probe them about procedures and next stages if you are unsure, so then at least they can put your mind at ease and you can make an educated decision if you want to continue going there or not.

I suppose my real concern is not the scans or getting another scan as we went private for an anomoly as mullingar dont do it...but i have never been measured as of yet...and then the position of baby...I know that it may be too soon to know position as it changes but I am concerned about the growth as I have never been measured

I suppose my real concern is not the scans or getting another scan as we went private for an anomoly as mullingar dont do it...but i have never been measured as of yet...and then the position of baby...I know that it may be too soon to know position as it changes but I am concerned about the growth as I have never been measured
    What do you mean by measured?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

That all sounds normal. I attended rotunda for my two. Never had to have bloods done that i can remember. Your gp is supposed to measure your bump just with a measuring tape- 29 " means 29 weeks etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭intothewest

Well then asked to be measured…if you still have questions, especially one’s that are going to cause you to get anxious, then ask for clarification as to what they do when, if you will be measured and when etc. There’s really no point in walking away from an apt with a cloud hanging over you. And if you can’t get an apt with them as soon as you’d like, your GP can measure you I’m sure. I’d imagine that if there was any cause for concern, they’d have noted your tummy wasn’t the size it should be for your stage…and I can’t remember for sure, but I think it was only in last 6-8 weeks I saw a tape being produced..and even then at most appt’s they just used their hands as a guide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

As Gee_G said, what do you mean by measured? Do they do a bump feel at the appointments? You don't need a scan done to get an idea of the size of the baby... and scans are not exactly accurate either, they can provide massively inaccurate estimates.

Position of baby can usually be assessed by feel too. 38 weeks is plenty of time to start worrying about the baby's position, unless you have reason to think you will go early.

But, if you do have questions you feel aren't being answered, or want reassurance then you should ask your consultant, or the midwives.

Squiggler wrote: »
    As Gee_G said, what do you mean by measured? Do they do a bump feel at the appointments? You don't need a scan done to get an idea of the size of the baby... and scans are not exactly accurate either, they can provide massively inaccurate estimates.

Position of baby can usually be assessed by feel too. 38 weeks is plenty of time to start worrying about the baby's position, unless you have reason to think you will go early.

But, if you do have questions you feel aren't being answered, or want reassurance then you should ask your consultant, or the midwives.
    Ok, I think I know what you mean now by measuring. The doctor just measures the length of the baby from what they can feel. That's all the measuring I had done. But that's only in the last few weeks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

OP i could of wrote that post my self a few months ago. I also attended Mullingar. I had 1st scan and got anomoly done private at about 21 weeks. Then any other appointments in hosp i felt the exact same. Sitting waiting for upto 3 hours, then in and out in 5. Barely time to even think if you have any questions. I used to be driving home and thinking the exact same, i know nothing. (i also had appointments on a thurs so probably under the same consultant).
    Towards the end i did get another 2 scans, check position and fluid.
    On the up side when i went in to have baby i couldnt have been looked after better. Midwives were brilliant on the pre natal and post natal wards.
    Had a lovely midwife when in the labour ward who was so nice.
    I think when your going for your appointments if nothing seems to be wrong they get you in and out asap. If you have anything to ask write it down before going in (so you dont forget) and just ask them.
    It actually used to annoy me, waiting for so long and being non the wiser coming out. I used to spend nearly a half hour in with gp chatting about things and found the ante natal classes good also.
    Your expierences sound just like mine but towards the end they will start measuring and possibly scan you and when you go in to have baby they are brilliant. I now have a beautiful perfectly healthy 7 month old upstairs sound asleep.

Also just to let you know i never even seen the head consultant, always one of his team. Didnt even see him when i went in to have baby.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

are you getting combined care with your gp as well? Mine used to measure my bump as those appts.

If you are concerned then try to go for another private scan. The scanner in the consultants room in mullingar was brutal.

hi ladies, as I said its not the scans I want its information....as the other poster said you leave the hospital appointment no wiser...and I am just confused by hospitals doing different things differently, thanks girls feeling reassured but also more confident to ask questions

thanks for all your replies...my last appointment was so much better, although a lot to do with it was that I had actually gotten sleep the night before...I had my list of questions and was prepared and feel a lot better, I do feel unless you ask your not told...
    I am in tomorrow for 36 week appointment...can anyone remember was anything different done at this appoint? I have been feeling a lot of lower back pain and period type cramps on/off a lot of pressure, baby is head down and low in pelvis already

thanks for all your replies...my last appointment was so much better, although a lot to do with it was that I had actually gotten sleep the night before...I had my list of questions and was prepared and feel a lot better, I do feel unless you ask your not told...
    I am in tomorrow for 36 week appointment...can anyone remember was anything different done at this appoint? I have been feeling a lot of lower back pain and period type cramps on/off a lot of pressure, baby is head down and low in pelvis already
    They will just have a feel and see where the baby is lying and they will feel where the head is. And all the usual, sample and bp checked too. I remember thinking there would be a bit of hype for my last few appointments but there really isn't. :)
    Best of luck with it all, you will have your baby with you soon and all the stress you had over your appointments with be all worth it :)

Advertisement