Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Rolling Stones

Options
  • 25-11-2012 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭

This has probably been done before, but I feel the need to profess my love for the Stones here. A few years ago I would have just been familiar with their standards like Jumpin Jack Flash etc. but I decided to have a more in depth look into their back catalogue a year or two ago. Some great shít in there. Beggars Banquet, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Some Girls are all great. Exile on Main Street has to be one of my favourite albums ever. Also a big fan of Goats Head Soup, although it's not up there with the other albums I named.

I'll confess I haven't listened to absolutely everything they've ever released (there's so damn much), and I find if you stray from their 68 to 78 period there's a huge dip in the quality of music they were releasing. It would obviously be pretty much impossible to keep that kind of standard up for decades though.

As I've only got into them in the last few years, I've never seen them on tour. I have tickets for Glastonbury next year so really hoping they decide to finally play that. If not I might have to fork out and catch them elsewhere. Although I had a look at ticket for their gig in London tomorrow night and it was £326 to sit in the nosebleeds. I know it'd be nothing compared to seeing them live 40 years ago, but I would still love to see them before they pack it in. I've watched the live in Texas 78 concert many times, has to be one of my favourite live DVDs.

I guess my message is, if you think of the Stones as a bunch of aging Rockers who sang Satisfaction (like I did 5 years ago), you need to go and check out their back catalogue because some of it is fúcking brilliant.

I'll leave you with one of my favourite tunes off Exile on Main St.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Mick Taylor is the lost Stone, he often seems to be glossed over and people not familiar with the Stones think they went straight from Brian Jones to Ron Wood. They made some great music with him including some of the albums above.
    I went to see Ladies and Gentlemen (reissue) in the cinema a few years ago and it was superb, filmed on the tour to promote Exile. Blown away by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Roanmore wrote: »
    Mick Taylor is the lost Stone, he often seems to be glossed over and people not familiar with the Stones think they went straight from Brian Jones to Ron Wood.

I agree entirely. He certainly deserves to be mentioned in any Stones thread. Taylor is one of my all time favourite guitarists. His work with the Stones is amazing, though IMO he never really got to show his true talent while with that band. My guess is that Richards was jealous of him, as Taylor could run rings around him as a guitarist. To see just how good he was (still is ) you need to check out his work with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers.

Taylor has also claimed that he wrote some songs with Jagger and Richards for which he was never credited. How true this is, I dont know, but it would not surprise me if it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Never a major fan of the Stones myself.

Nonetheless, I went to see them in Wembly Stadium, as it was just up the road from where I lived at the time.

They seemed so old to be a Rock band. So I figured that I'd better go and see them before it was too late.

That was 1990.:eek:

I'm now coming up to the age they were then. Never thought for a second that they'd still be touring in 2012/13!

Good luck to 'em.

I guess if they weren't around, someone would have to invent them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

they are my favourite band

The 4 albums from Beggars Banquet to Exile on Main St are faultless and perfect

I am lucky enough to have seen them live 3 times

I could go on for hours but I won't bore you with the detail

I love the Rolling Stones, they are worlds greatest rock and roll band

Exile on Main St is my desert Island disc(s). Absolute sloppy perfection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Treehorn

My favourite band too. I'm 30 and when I look at what is on offer today from other bands in comparison I just wonder where it all went wrong.

• Advertisement

Treehorn wrote: »
    I just wonder where it all went wrong.

I'd say somewhere between 'Start Me Up' and the 'Dancing in the Street' collaboration between Jagger and Bowie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Treehorn

I'd take Start Me Up over the majority of **** pumped out today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

'Dancing in the Street' collaboration between Jagger and Bowie.

That was the single greatest moment in the history of the human race imo

Treehorn wrote: »
    I'd take Start Me Up over the majority of **** pumped out today.

+1. In the various conversations I've had about the Stone's music, it appears that most people dont seem to like this song.

While it's by no means their best, I can think of a lot worse from contempory (or any other) bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Goats Head Soup and Its only rock and roll are very underrated albums. Some great playing on both from Mick Taylor as mentioned earlier in the thread.

I saw on Sky Arts a while back one of their gigs from around the time of Exile - Taylor looked like he'd dropped in from another (younger) band - I think Ronnie Wood is probably a better fit personality-wise with Richards than Taylor was, even if Ronnie's not as good a guitarist.

• Advertisement

I remember reading an interview with Charlie Watts in which he was asked how he has enjoyed his time with the Stones. His reply : "Well, eighty percent of it was spent waiting around ( presumably for Jagger and Richards), but the rest, I've enjoyed." :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Rigsby wrote: »
    +1. In the various conversations I've had about the Stone's music, it appears that most people dont seem to like this song.
    I like start me up. It was written well before its release. I would like to hear the other versions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Start_Me_Up
    "Start Me Up" was first recorded during the 1975 sessions for the Rolling Stones' 1976 album Black and Blue.[2] The song was at first cut as a reggae-rock track, but after dozens of takes the band stopped recording it and it was shelved. The band would again try to re-record "Start Me Up" during the 1978 Some Girls and the 1979 Emotional Rescue sessions under the working titles "Never Stop" and "Start It Up" respectively.

BBC showed the rock n roll circus a few weeks ago which is well worth a watch, the who are amazing in it too -though plug your ears when yoko comes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

There was a time when I loved them with a passion, travelled considerably to see them and collected every out-take and concert I could find on bootleg. Somewhere in the attic I still have over a 100 boots on cassette including early versions of SMU and even the recording of when they did a radio advert for Rice Krispies.

For various reasons I stopped listening to them and have not even heard the last few albums.

Anyway, if you get involved with any of the Stones online communities like Undercover http://www.under-cover.net/ or Shidoobee http://shidoobeewithstonesdoug.yuku.com/ you'll meet up with folks who'll happily sort you out with pretty much anything the Stones have ever recorded as well as concert recordings. Nothing illegal and no officially released material changes hands. And it won't cost you anything in most cases.

Also, a mate of mine Martin Elliott has just updated his Rolling Stones discography book for the 50th anniversary and it's well worth getting a copy. Even the band use his book as a reference.
    http://www.stonessessions.com/ and the book FB page https://www.facebook.com/StonesSessions

But, Exile was the first album to speak to me when it first came out and I was 13. Sweet Virginia was also the first song of theirs to grab me and make me fall in love with their music for the next 25 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I haven't listened to much of them, they always seemed like a greatest hits band to me. Although with what I have heard I'm actually a bit of a weirdo, because I really like Their Satanic Majesties Request.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭theholyghost

I love the Stones or at least I fall in and out with them. The odd conclusion I came to a while ago was despite their reputation for making some great/important albums they are actually greater as a singles band. Their singles IMO up until relatively recently have been pretty faultless whereas except for the middle period their can be a lot of filler in their albums.

I took out Sticky Fingers the other day and had a good listen, just a superb album not a bad song on there and some really special moments.

Radio Nova are doing a '50 years of The Stones' show tonight at 8pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

This has probably been done before, but I feel the need to profess my love for the Stones here. A few years ago I would have just been familiar with their standards like Jumpin Jack Flash etc. but I decided to have a more in depth look into their back catalogue a year or two ago. Some great shít in there. Beggars Banquet, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Some Girls are all great. Exile on Main Street has to be one of my favourite albums ever. Also a big fan of Goats Head Soup, although it's not up there with the other albums I named.

I'll confess I haven't listened to absolutely everything they've ever released (there's so damn much), and I find if you stray from their 68 to 78 period there's a huge dip in the quality of music they were releasing. It would obviously be pretty much impossible to keep that kind of standard up for decades though.

nch of aging Rockers who sang Satisfaction (like I did 5 years ago), you need to go and check out their back catalogue because some of it is fúcking brilliant.

I'll leave you with one of my favourite tunes off Exile on Main St.

I'm in the same boat. I've respected them from a distance for many years but in the last 5 years I have become clinically obsessed with them. From 1968 to 1975 they were the greatest band ever to exist. After that, they broke up in my mind and never reformed !!!

And Mick Taylor was the glue in that period - he was a smashing guitarist, very under rated.

Keyzer wrote: »

And Mick Taylor was the glue in that period - he was a smashing guitarist, very under rated.

+1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Superb band, second only in my mind to the Kinks and Who in the 1960s.

Resurrecting this rather than starting a new thread to post that folks with BBC1 can see this on Sat night:
    http://www.rollingstones.com/2013/10/02/the-rolling-stones-return-to-hyde-park-to-be-broadcast-on-bbc1/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Keyzer wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat. I've respected them from a distance for many years but in the last 5 years I have become clinically obsessed with them. From 1968 to 1975 they were the greatest band ever to exist. After that, they broke up in my mind and never reformed !!!

Taylor very much uncredited for that period has a major input into that superb loose bluesy feel that is attributed to Richards, particularly on songs such as tumbling dice ,honky tonk woman ,brown sugar where he and Jagger done the heavy lifting, while Richards was out of his tree. Left because of this and in some weird sort of amends is back touring with them at Jaggers request.

Looks like any of y'all hoping to see the Stones in Europe this year just got lucky.
    http://www.pollstar.com/news_article.aspx?ID=809399&fb_action_ids=10152142528238190

Advertisement