Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silly question - Meteor phone > Vodafone SIM, Compatible?

Options
  • 25-11-2012 9:04am

Hi all,

I'm aware that this is probably fairly straight-forward and embarrassingly obvious, but I'm not very clued in to the workings of the phone world, so I'm at a bit of a loss.

Pretty much, I have a Samsung Galaxy Mini. Girlfriend really likes it and wants one. Figured it'd be a nice "stocking filler" present, as it doesn't seem to cost a whole lot these days and I know it's a pretty decent phone myself (well, it does everything I need it to, anyway).

I'm with Meteor, she's with Vodafone. Vodafone.ie don't have this phone for sale. Meteor.ie do have it for sale at the moment, though.

So I'm trying to figure out, can I just buy this off Meteor.ie and give it to her? Or will it not work when she puts a Vodafone sim into it? :confused:

I hear a lot of rambling about 'unlocked' phones, but I've never had it done and have no knowledge of it (as far as I know it's a service you can get done around the place, but I'd like to give her a gift that isn't going to be a hassle, as she'd have about the same level of knowledge as I would).

Can anyone tell me, is there any simple, straight-forward way of getting her this phone (new) on Vodafone? (I don't want to buy a second-hand one on Adverts or such).

Cheers to anyone able to offer any help here.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

It will be locked to meteor network. So you can port her to meteor or get the phone unlocked. They won't give you the code till you spend €150 on credit, but you can get it unlocked in a shop that does unlocks for cheap

Davy wrote: »
    It will be locked to meteor network. So you can port her to meteor or get the phone unlocked. They won't give you the code till you spend €150 on credit, but you can get it unlocked in a shop that does unlocks for cheap

Well I won't be able to get her to switch over to Meteor anyway (vast majority of people she knows use Vodafone, and it's handier for her).

The whole man with a stall that unlocks phones thing. Is that genuine? Does it void a warranty (ie; if i have phone issues in future or such, and Meteor are told the phone has been unlocked, will the refuse to look at it or such).

If I asked Meteor nicely, would they give me an unlock code as part of the purchase?

EDIT: I must be with meteor almost 10 years now. Would they give me the unlock code as a 'gesture of goodwill'? Or am I being hopelessly optimistic?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

If I asked Meteor nicely, would they give me an unlock code as part of the purchase?

EDIT: I must be with meteor almost 10 years now. Would they give me the unlock code as a 'gesture of goodwill'? Or am I being hopelessly optimistic?

You could try, ask them can you have the code for the new phone instead of your current one but they aren't always that accommodating though

Davy wrote: »
    You could try, ask them can you have the code for the new phone instead of your current one but they aren't always that accommodating though

Ah sure I'll give them a ring and say it to them. Surely any company that's had a customer about 8-9 years would be somewhat accommodating on trivial issues like these. :confused:

I'll let you know how I get on.

Advertisement