Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clinical Trials in a Foreign Country

Options
  • 25-11-2012 3:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm having quite a difficult time at the minute because I have a rare bone marrow condition that I was diagnosed with four years ago and it hasn't really gotten better. Recently I was diagnosed with a second, similar, one and I'm losing faith in my medical professionals to an extent. I can live a very limited life as I am now, I can't work because of the illness, I can't go on abroad travelling or just on holidays because of the weekly hospital appointments.

I was thinking of doing a clinical trial so I had a look to see what was available in Ireland. There was nothing so I looked internationally and there are an awful lot of studies in the USA that I'd be medically eligible for, but I'm unsure if I'd be eligible as an Irish person who has never lived in America. I'd also always wanted to go to America to visit but have never been able to because of my health problem.

Does anyone know anything about this or have experience of people going there to do a medical trial and how the costs work out? I know some studies pay the participants, but not all. I'd really like to hear from someone with a bit of knowledge on this. Cheers.

Advertisement