Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tech certs vs degree?

Options
  • 24-11-2012 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

I am thinking about doing a computer science degree and I was just wondering if it is a waste of time? Can I get a good job just by self studying CCNA etc, doing an internship and working my way up? Or will the CS degree really make a big difference in the long run?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

A degree will open doors for you and many employers in the technology industry will have it as a minimum requirement. My 2c

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭druidhill

I'd echo what LoGiE said, make sure you check out the CS degree and what exactly it covers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You hit a artificial ceiling quite quickly without one. I'm now looking at doing a distance degree to advance to better roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭donaghs

LoGiE wrote: »
    A degree will open doors for you and many employers in the technology industry will have it as a minimum requirement. My 2c

Agree with all of the above. Plus, a degree lasts forever. And even if your certs don't actually expire - MCSE Windows 2000 doesn't sound so hot now?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Iopu

Ive decided that im going to get the degree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 PatrickMc

Iopu good choice in IT ya have to have as many bullets in your gun as possible.
    Certs --> Degree --> Experience not in any order.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 andypandy1

Im new to the IT field and am trying to retrain after 15 years in Engineering, I have been picking up certs like the A+, CCent etc and just landed a Tech support job in a good company. I have an engineering degree but would like to get a Computer Science one under my belt as well since IT is my new chosen career direction. Initially my hours will be a bit unsociable 12-8pm so an evening course would be out of the question, is there any Degree courses you can do through distance learning?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Iopu

Yes, Dcu have a few distance learning degrees. Here is a link:
    http://www.dcu.ie/prospective/degrees.php?prog_type=under&faculty=9300

Also, you can try the open university:
    http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/qualification/computing-and-it/index.htm

Advertisement