Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best 3g data plan

Options
  • 24-11-2012 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

Im getting a nexus 7 3G. Does anybody know whats the cheapest data plan.
    All I need is like 1GB, doesnt matter each network. Its hard to find the information on the websites (except meteor).

Is there a top up plan where you can just add money to it when you need it, as apposed to paying every month?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

fungie wrote: »
    All I need is like 1GB, doesnt matter each network. Its hard to find the information on the websites (except meteor).

Is there a top up plan where you can just add money to it when you need it, as apposed to paying every month?

do you already have a smart phone with a data add-on? If so why dont you just tether from your smart phone? Works perfect for me on my Galaxy Nexus.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭fungie

projectgtr wrote: »
    do you already have a smart phone with a data add-on? If so why dont you just tether from your smart phone? Works perfect for me on my Galaxy Nexus.

Three dont allow tethering. The feckers

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

How do they stop it tho? I'm tethering from my crappy nokia now on three, it's slow but that's because of where I live I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

How can they tell your tethering?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

mrmeindl wrote: »
    How do they stop it tho? I'm tethering from my crappy nokia now on three, it's slow but that's because of where I live I think.
    projectgtr wrote: »
    How can they tell your tethering?:confused:

Three do allow tethering.

• Advertisement

You can do it but its against the terms and conditions, id imagine they can charge extra or slow down your download speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

You can do it but its against the terms and conditions, id imagine they can charge extra or slow down your download speeds.

As long as you don't go over the 15GB fair use you'll be grand. Possibly tethering could be blocked on handsets bought from three.

You can do it but its against the terms and conditions, id imagine they can charge extra or slow down your download speeds
    I have no idea what I'm talking about,

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If the were going to charge you they'd have to have price charges in place, they don't. Tether away.

mrmeindl wrote: »
    As long as you don't go over the 15GB fair use you'll be grand. Possibly tethering could be blocked on handsets bought from three.

tethering isnt blocked as far as I know. I think they can tell if you are tethering though and they can limit your download speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

did you look at eMobile?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Or Lycamobile?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I tether my Three phone to my laptop all the time, it works perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

Or Lycamobile?

Lycamobile, like tesco mobile and all other vitual networks have awful data speeds.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You are the one that does not know what you are talking about, it's against their terms and conditions unless you have a special bundle for it, or you were a three customer before they changed the rule. How lax or not about it they are is a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Simi wrote: »
    Lycamobile, like tesco mobile and all other vitual networks have awful data speeds.

All networks have poor reception in places. If the OP is in an urban area, there should be no great problems

You are the one that does not know what you are talking about, it's against their terms and conditions unless you have a special bundle for it, or you were a three customer before they changed the rule. How lax or not about it they are is a different matter.

That's the second time someone has said it's against T&C. Link?

I tether every day on Three with my work phone. I'd also be curious as to how Three even know if a customer is tethering on an Android phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Pop'n'Fresh

That's the second time someone has said it's against T&C. Link?

I tether every day on Three with my work phone. I'd also be curious as to how Three even know if a customer is tethering on an Android phone?

Link

"Tethering on your mobile
    Connecting your phone to other devices so that they can access the internet is called tethering.

Bill Pay
    Under our Bill Pay terms & conditions, customers who activated or upgraded to one of our Flex- Max price plans on or after 1st January, 2012 are not permitted to tether

Prepay
    Tethering is not a feature of your prepay plan, and under our Prepay terms & conditions, is not permitted"

Use my referral link to purchase a Tesla product and we both earn free store credits!

https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/phil240753

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It also says it in several other places on their site and all over their forum every day. I believe there is only an official way to tell on iPhone and that they make educated guesses for android as of yet. I don't know how they detect it or plan to.

PopnFresh wrote: »
    Link

"Tethering on your mobile
    Connecting your phone to other devices so that they can access the internet is called tethering.

Bill Pay
    Under our Bill Pay terms & conditions, customers who activated or upgraded to one of our Flex- Max price plans on or after 1st January, 2012 are not permitted to tether

Prepay
    Tethering is not a feature of your prepay plan, and under our Prepay terms & conditions, is not permitted"
    It also says it in several other places on their site and all over their forum every day. I believe there is only an official way to tell on iPhone and that they make educated guesses for android as of yet. I don't know how they detect it or plan to.

Interesting. I don't read their forum so hadn't seen that.

There are 5 of us at work on Three. 2 pre-January and the other 3 this year. We all tether without issue on Android phones. As far as I can see there's no way they can identify if you're tethering unless there's a separate APN.

• Advertisement

I've a iPhone but I'll chance it. Bought the 32gb one there

Advertisement