Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MPG / Insurance / reliability

• 24-11-2012 10:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

I currently have a 2002 Volvo S80 2.0 Turbo Manual

Great car...Fast, Comfy and looks great BUT at 30 mpg on a good day its time to slow down :D Missus wants a small car and I want a 4x4 commercial ;)

Looking at

1.4 / 1.6 Octavia and Bora's

1.4 Fabia MPI

1.6 Primera 2002+

Insurance doesn't seem to matter much as its around the same price but I was looking at Parkers.co.uk and the mpg of all abouve seems very close??

Surley a 1.4 Fabia has a better mpg than the heavier 1.6 octavia / Primera??

Anyone here have real life MPG stats for cars above??

I will also be getting a commercial jeep and was looking at 2.5 swb Pajero or a 2.5 4 cylinder Discovery 96+ under 01 as I hear they have gearbox (pre 96) and electrical trouble (+02)

But I have been told to expect more mpg from a Discovery but the Pajero would be more reliable :confused:

Any help greatly appreciated :)

What is your pick for MPG + Reliability 32 votes

Octavia
    0% 0 votes
    Fabia
    46% 15 votes
    Primera
    9% 3 votes
    Discovery
    6% 2 votes
    Pajero
    12% 4 votes
    Komatsu digger
    6% 2 votes
    Rickshaw
    18% 6 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

The Octavia is probably worse on fuel than the Volvo. They're just awful on fuel for the size of the car. Really the pay off just isn't worth it.

Most family size 1.4-1.6 petrols actually really do struggle to exceed early 30's to the gallon, its only the official figures whcih show them as better. If you want to save fuel then its either a very small car or a diesel. ;)

PS - I voted for the Discovery. Unless it breaks down ( eh ..... which it will I suppose) then again its probably near enough as cheap to run as anything unless you buy a Yaris 1 litre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

That poll is the equivalent of comparing a trip to Drunshambo with a trip to the Bahamas....

MugMugs wrote: »
    That poll is the equivalent of comparing a trip to Drunshambo with a trip to the Bahamas....

Yup, gotta agree. All its needs to finish it is a Komatsu digger and a Rickshaw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

:D Well I do need a small digger :p

See this whole get a diesel is OK but if your paying 2.0 / 2.2 / 2.5 litre tax then does the saving on diesel compared to a 1.4 1.6 not add up??

unless its a astra 1.3 diesel or 1.6 volvo then yea as good mpg and tax but once you hit 2.0 tax do you really save?

Poll is for a car for herself and a jeep for me......can you have to polls on a single thread??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

To be honest, id keep the car you have you wont make massive savings with regards MPG etc.

But go for a smaller car car out of the lot if you want to gain the most MPG so the fabia gets my vote.
    You wont get great MPG out of any jeep to be honest.
    Id go for the Pajero, they seem reliable.

My brother in Law had one for 5 years putting 390K on it towing alot of heavy weights and while gearbox did need to be changed and clutches etc but the engine was trouble free and still felt good when he got rid of it.

• Advertisement

Im not expecting great mpg from a jeep but I just heard the pajero was pretty thirsty!

My biggest problem with the S80 is the insurance for the missus on a provisional...ITS A KILLER :eek:

But i like my bit motors hence the jeep and we also need to cars as I work away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Yup, gotta agree. All its needs to finish it is a Komatsu digger and a Rickshaw.
    Added to poll. :D

Added to poll. :D

:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

2.5 pajero are very thirsty.

sean1141 wrote: »
    2.5 pajero are very thirsty.

I just drove one today manual 2.5 1994...Mullingar to Ballinalack. Put in €15 diesel at 155.9 and when I got back to Mullingar it was empty again :eek:

That's about 30K..Jeep seemed to be running fine!

I done more in an auto Hilux...surely can't be that heavy :confused:

• Advertisement

The newer ones are even worse

sean1141 wrote: »
    The newer ones are even worse

Yea there all 3.2 are they?? Feck that ill stick with the Discovery :D

No there is a 2.5 as well as the 3.2. 01-04 shape

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,506 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The Komatsu and the Fabia are a bit agricultural

colm_mcm wrote: »

Well the Fabia anyway :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,544 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Dear God, please keep the Volvo. It is in a different planet to any of the boxes mentioned. Some awful cars there. 1.4 Bora, shocking thing. And would struggle to get 35 mpg.

A tidy 1.6 diesel S40 could be a good compromise but can be a bit troublesome. Lovely car though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,506 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

mfitzy wrote: »
    A tidy 1.6 diesel S40 could be a good compromise but can be a bit troublesome. Lovely car though.

Could be way out of budget as well

Could be way out of budget as well

True, but I sold one recently 05 to a family member though for 5k. Lovely car, still missing it. The S60 is a lovely car and are very reliable too. I would despair for the OP considering a Fabia/Primera/Disco/Octavia 1.4. Talk about making your sitaution ten times worse!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

Toyota, it's not listed

• Advertisement

I think the Komatsu are quieter :o

I love the S80 but Im looking at a smalller car for herself....Ill be getting a jeep so wont bother me what she drives :D

Or if i can get a small car I may just keep the S80...ill see what happens!

Any small engine Toyota's have go fast strips and motorbike exhausts :eek:

Does a Rickshaw have a cd player :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭db330

I have a pajero 3.2 auto, I get 30mpg from it. and it has given very little trouble so far, 310k and needed a starter motor. But solid apart from that.

the other thing about a commercial is they will be cheaper to tax and insure, mine is taxed and insured for €750 (I'm 22 so very cheap compared to insuring a car for myself).

Advertisement