Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU bans shark finning at last!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Amazing it has taken this long but better late than never I suppose!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Fantastic news. It's about time too! Although I think that like a lot of these things eg rhino horn poaching or sea eagle poisoning things could continue illegally!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Overdue, but great to see nonetheless/

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Hollzy

Heard yesterday, it made my day! It's great that after such a long wait, it went even better than it was hoped to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

meanwhile in China Jesus h Christ
    Environmentalists are outraged after approximately 18,000 shark fins were discovered drying out on a rooftop in Hong Kong, hidden from public view. The delicacy, often used in soup, is very popular in China. But the practice of fisherman removing the animal's fin and throwing it back into the sea to die, and the over-harvesting of sharks, has begun to change public opinion

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2013/jan/04/shark-fins-hong-kong-rooftop-video

Thousands-of-shark-fins-d-012.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Franticfrank

meanwhile in China Jesus h Christ
    Environmentalists are outraged after approximately 18,000 shark fins were discovered drying out on a rooftop in Hong Kong, hidden from public view.

18,000? That's pretty disturbing. Great to see shark finning banned in the EU but I have to ask if its really all that common to begin with? Some fishermen did have special licenses but I have never encountered shark fins/soup on the menu in Europe. Still, if you look at the value of food markets in the world like the US and China, you can see the problem. Europe is a start but attitudes in Asia really need to change, though this doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Hollzy

Some countries in the EU, particularly Spain and Portugal had loopholes in their laws regarding shark finning and so there was a lot more of it going on that you would think in EU waters.... But Asia really needs to follow suit now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I've tried shark fin soup a few times and really like it but I probably won't have it again after researching how the sharks suffer after being caught.

If it was a little less cruel I might try it again.

Advertisement