Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethernet over Power Question

Options
  • 24-11-2012 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi I currently have 2 ethernet over power adapters working in the home. One is directly connected to the router and the other is used to provide LAN connectivity in another room in the home.

My question is if I wish to provide LAN connectivity to more rooms in the home using these adapters can I just purchase the same/similar adapters.

Will the single adapter directly connected to the router be able to service other adapters.... or does 2 adapters have to work in pairs.

Any thoughts appreciated! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

top_dog wrote: »
    Hi I currently have 2 ethernet over power adapters working in the home. One is directly connected to the router and the other is used to provide LAN connectivity in another room in the home.

My question is if I wish to provide LAN connectivity to more rooms in the home using these adapters can I just purchase the same/similar adapters.

Will the single adapter directly connected to the router be able to service other adapters.... or does 2 adapters have to work in pairs.

Any thoughts appreciated! Thanks

as far as i know you can just add another to it no need for pairs..just make sure they are compatible

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭top_dog

If I bought an adapter that operated at a higher data rate say 300 Mbps would the new adapter be restricted to the speed of the slower adapter 200 Mbps? So i guess I am asking would there be any issues using different speed of adapters?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

top_dog wrote: »
    If I bought an adapter that operated at a higher data rate say 300 Mbps would the new adapter be restricted to the speed of the slower adapter 200 Mbps? So i guess I am asking would there be any issues using different speed of adapters?

i doubt there'll be compatibility issues..but in an network the speed will depend on the slowest component.. so pairing a 300mbps with a 200mbps would be pointless

Different ethernet-over-power devices use different standards. Compatibility depends on the standard used in your devices.

Homeplug AV devices should be intercompatible with other Homeplug AV devices. But not compatible with older Homeplug 1.0 devices. Homeplug AV2 devices should be available in the new year and will be backwards compatible with Homeplug AV.

Powerline is a completely different standard and not compatible at all with Homeplug 1.0 or Homeplug AV. Its no longer around now and confusingly most Homeplug vendors are using 'Powerline' in their product names.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 mickells35

may be wrong thread ... if so i apologise

House a needs to connect to House B. So I am getting a sparky to run a cable from the grid on House A into House B...for the sole purpose of POe
    ��
    one cable
    cant see why it wouldnt work...essentialy an extension lead to use Poe

Once they are on the same meter it will work. If I attach an extension lead into a plug in House A..and plug the router into first socket of that extension lead. Then if a long extension cable is run from second socket of extension lead to House B. Third socket used for Powerline extender ..plug in the other part below in House B...Pair them up... is there a flaw in my logic? Still running off grid from House A .Will this work?

...essentially an extension lead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I would run a Cat6 ethernet cable with an opto isolator between the two ....... or maybe do it with fibre .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

I would run a Cat6 ethernet cable with an opto isolator between the two ....... or maybe do it with fibre .....

So would I.

Or wirelessly with two Ubiquiti units.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

mickells35 wrote: »
    may be wrong thread ... if so i apologise

House a needs to connect to House B. So I am getting a sparky to run a cable from the grid on House A into House B...for the sole purpose of POe
    ��
    one cable
    cant see why it wouldnt work...essentialy an extension lead to use Poe

Once they are on the same meter it will work. If I attach an extension lead into a plug in House A..and plug the router into first socket of that extension lead. Then if a long extension cable is run from second socket of extension lead to House B. Third socket used for Powerline extender ..plug in the other part below in House B...Pair them up... is there a flaw in my logic? Still running off grid from House A .Will this work?

...essentially an extension lead

giphy.gif

You want to connect EoP to mains supply A but wire it into devices on mains supply B?

Can you say fatal electrocution? Fire?

Don't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 mickells35

Thats not what I am doing. I will be running a long extension lead from one part of the building to another. I am not touching the mains on House B

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

If you want to make a network connection from one place to another you should use a network wire designed for the job.

Ethernet over powerline was designed to be used when no network cable is available. When you are the one deciding to put in the cable you should just put in the correct cable from the start! It will be faster, cheaper and more stable.

Less than 100m is doable in CAT6A - above that and it might be worth looking at fibre instead.

To give an analogy - you bring your car on a ferry to get it to the UK because there is no road to drive there. What you are proposing is to install a lake between the end of your driveway and your house so that you can put a ferry on it to bring your car from your gate to your front door. What you should be doing is installing a road so you can drive it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Any sparky worth his/her salt should point blank refuse to extend a live feed from one source into another location which already has a separate live feed.

Advertisement