Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router Bits

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭slpower01

Are you stuck with just using the one brand?? Because if you shop around im sure you could get a decent set for a lot less im sure even a trend set of bits would be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Buying router bits locally is a real rip off I'm sorry to say. Buying from the US is cheap in theory, as long as you don't get cought for customs+ vat.
    I tend to buy online from www.axminster.com ( cheap ) of www.weladentool.co.uk ( fantastic range +service )
    The box sets look tempting but they might gather dust if not used. i think its better to buy the bits as they are needed.

P.S. CMT are Italian and very good quality but pricey. The router bit companies won't admit it but a lot of the bits come out of a few factories in China and are simply re-branded. Frankly I can never tell the difference between them in use so have no problem buying budget bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭slpower01

I am in the same boat as you recipio... I use axminster quite a lot and tooled-up...... I have my trend bits that I buy one by one as I need them and then for the bits I might use once a year I have 2 of the lidl 1/4inch bit sets that fill in the gaps and with a little sharpening are usually perfect (I just found to inspect the packet before buying as some bits have been known to have small chips out of the cutter edge though).

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

slpower01 wrote: »
    Are you stuck with just using the one brand?? Because if you shop around im sure you could get a decent set for a lot less im sure even a trend set of bits would be cheaper.

No, not stuck with the one brand. I know from using them in the joinery where I worked that they are a great quality bit that can be resharpened easily. I would be using that straight bit a lot and only I needed it straight away I would have bought it online along with some other bits I use often.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Theres a huge variation in some of the budget cutters compared to the good ones, however there comes a point where you have to say is it economical to buy the top brands. i find trend are a good balnce, not overly expensive for what you get. i bought a couple of boxes of those faithful bits at a clearance sale for a few euro each, they were still expensive, bearings were pure dirt and if they even rubbed against butter they were dull.

1chippy wrote: »
    Theres a huge variation in some of the budget cutters compared to the good ones, however there comes a point where you have to say is it economical to buy the top brands. i find trend are a good balnce, not overly expensive for what you get. i bought a couple of boxes of those faithful bits at a clearance sale for a few euro each, they were still expensive, bearings were pure dirt and if they even rubbed against butter they were dull.

Do you not think Trend are one of the most expensive brands. ? They are big into marketing - if you go to a UK show they are everywhere but as far as I know Titman are the only UK made bits.
    I think size is important ( no jokes ! ) For large bits I would probably buy a premium brand to ensure balance and long life. Wealden are a great brand and the owner ( Alan ) has a no quibble return policy, - if you are not happy he will take it back.
    As with most woodworking, a little forward planning is important to avoid impulse buying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

recipio wrote: »
    Do you not think Trend are one of the most expensive brands. ? They are big into marketing - if you go to a UK show they are everywhere but as far as I know Titman are the only UK made bits.
    I think size is important ( no jokes ! ) For large bits I would probably buy a premium brand to ensure balance and long life. Wealden are a great brand and the owner ( Alan ) has a no quibble return policy, - if you are not happy he will take it back.
    As with most woodworking, a little forward planning is important to avoid impulse buying.

wouldnt consider them expensive, usually buy 1/4" cutters for everyday use in these, you usually get plenty of use out of them.i dont rate their long straight 1/2" cutters dont ask me why but i just dont like them. Anything that doesnt come in the little box usually just gets ordered of whichever rep is there when i need them. I got given 3 round over router bits ranging from1 1/2" 1 3/4" and 2" radius cutters off a guy who closed down a furniture shop. they are over 20 years old and still as the day they were new, no name on them unfortunately.

1chippy wrote: »
    wouldnt consider them expensive, usually buy 1/4" cutters for everyday use in these, you usually get plenty of use out of them.i dont rate their long straight 1/2" cutters dont ask me why but i just dont like them. Anything that doesnt come in the little box usually just gets ordered of whichever rep is there when i need them. I got given 3 round over router bits ranging from1 1/2" 1 3/4" and 2" radius cutters off a guy who closed down a furniture shop. they are over 20 years old and still as the day they were new, no name on them unfortunately.

Fair enough.
    The only bit of advice I'd offer anybody is to try spiral bits. They are expensive buy if you want smooth work with almost no breakout they are great. I'd strongly recommend then in dovetail jigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

I'm just starting to get into woodwork as a hobby. I do woodturning also but used to make kitchens and furniture up until last August. I miss that kind of work. I don't think I've ever used a spiral bit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement